Apple rumored to be testing touchscreen panels for new iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Rumors of a touchscreen desktop iMac continue to persist, with a new report on Friday alleging that Apple is testing potential displays for the supposed hardware.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes said that Sintek Photronics has sent samples of capacitive touch panels to Apple for a new touchsreen all-in-one iMac desktop computer. The report claimed that the new hardware will have screen sizes of 20 inches and greater.

"The new iMac is rumored to have a good vertical and horizontal viewing angle, and its projected capacitive touch panel will adopt a one-glass solution, which integrates the touch sensor and cover glass, to reduce thickness and weight," the report said.

It noted that most touch panels are made by placing the sensor over the panel, and are then covered with glass. But it is said this method is costly, complex, and results in a dimmer screen.

It was said that Sintek Photronics "has a good chance" of becoming a supplier for the alleged new line of iMacs. No projected release date for the rumored hardware was given.

In January of this year, rumors indicated that a 22-inch touchscreen iMac would launch this year. But the claims in Friday's report that Apple is still testing touch panels would suggest that a 2010 launch is not likely.

A number of patent applications from Apple this year show touch-capable iMac-style desktop computers. One interesting filing shows a machine that could operate in a traditional format, but with a hinge on the back that would allow it to be tilted for easier access for a user's fingertips.

Another application described a desktop screen that could detect shapes and objects pressed against it. It described a machine that would allow new types of input, such as a security system that required a physical key to be pressed against the screen and detected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Totally logical progression, a merging of OS X and iOS features on more powerful machines.

Ports will have to move to the stand from the back of the screen as now since the screen moves so much. Assuming it has ports!

What good are patents? PC makers will copy this with an Android - Chrome lash up immediately.
  • Reply 2 of 135
    I see the limitations of touch screens quite often on my iPad. Just give me USB 3 on the current iMac and I'm sold ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 135
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    That hinge that allow bringing down the screen to the touchscreen position will just be a source of complaints from customers. I have never seen a non-counterbalanced hinge that with constant use doesn't loosen in time. And without a counterbalance, imagine what the weight of the base should be to prevent the monitor/CPU from tipping into the desk when in the touchscreen position. The second hinge at the back of the monitor will also loosen up in time.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of a touchscreen desktop iMac continue to persist, with a new report on Friday alleging that Apple is testing potential displays for the supposed hardware.

This all seems very familiar -- haven't we seen this in a previous patent or rumor?
  • Reply 5 of 135
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    On another forum I saw someone suggesting that in vertical mode you have OS X and in horizontal mode iOS - nice idea!

Apple seems not only to be eager to revolutionise the phone or for the first time successfully introduce a new device category - they want to revolutionise our entire digital life. I can't really see that a desktop computer can really benefit from a touch sensitive screen. I would rather prefer a keyboard that gets a large additional touch sensitive pad. There have been numerous studies on the net that I really liked. But let's see.
  • Reply 6 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

On another forum I saw someone suggesting that in vertical mode you have OS X and in horizontal mode iOS - nice idea!

Apple seems not only to be eager to revolutionise the phone or for the first time successfully introduce a new device category - they want to revolutionise our entire digital life. I can't really see that a desktop computer can really benefit from a touch sensitive screen. I would rather prefer a keyboard that gets a large additional touch sensitive pad. There have been numerous studies on the net that I really liked. But let's see.

Interesting way to switch ... did they make any comment as to the two modes interaction ... as in are they totally separate like Dashboard and Finder say or would it merge so for example the same iteration of Pages can be both mouse and touch driven depending on the mode?
  • Reply 7 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

This all seems very familiar -- haven't we seen this in a previous patent or rumor?

We have. The new part is the rumour about the touchscreens, not the patent.

Quote:

I?m not so sure about this tech. I don?t think Apple is like others and will introduce any expensive touchscreen display that adds more complexity without a solid reason for usability and without having an OS rewrite that takes advantage of this HW feature.

That makes me this is something more inclined for new Macs after 10.7 gets demoed to us with some new touchscreen features that are coming right from iOS. Note: I?m aware that any OS can be used with a touchscreen but having a UI that designed for fingers is different than one designed for a mouse pointer.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

That hinge that allow bringing down the screen to the touchscreen position will just be a source of complaints from customers. I have never seen a non-counterbalanced hinge that with constant use doesn't loosen in time. And without a counterbalance, imagine what the weight of the base should be to prevent the monitor/CPU from tipping into the desk when in the touchscreen position. The second hinge at the back of the monitor will also loosen up in time.

Wouldn't a simple, elegantly designed mechanical lock on one side solve this though? Slide the screen to desired position and press or rotate lock. Press to release.
  • Reply 9 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Interesting way to switch ... did they make any comment as to the two modes interaction ... as in are they totally separate like Dashboard and Finder say or would it merge so for example the same iteration of Pages can be both mouse and touch driven depending on the mode?

No, this was just an idea of a commentator. From this tech on you could think of any kind of hybrid interaction as you want.
  • Reply 10 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It's a natural evolution of Apple, iMacs and a big-ass screen. You want to reach out and touch it. Sure, it's gimmicky, but imagine them touch visual interfaces and apps Apple and others will come out with. It'll sell, if only for the novelty factor, it'll get more people to Macs. You gotta have at least one touchscreen model. But Apple will do the UI right and everyone else will be like... Damnnnn

If they could keep the price point as it is and have a 21" touchscreen model, that would be cool.
  • Reply 11 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m not so sure about this tech. I don?t think Apple is like others and will introduce any expensive touchscreen display that adds more complexity without a solid reason for usability and without having an OS rewrite that takes advantage of this HW feature.

That makes me this is something more inclined for new Macs after 10.7 gets demoed to us with some new touchscreen features that are coming right from iOS. Note: I?m aware that any OS can be used with a touchscreen but having a UI that designed for fingers is different than one designed for a mouse pointer.

Actually, I do agree. I also don't think this sounds like an Appleish approach. Apple usually doesn't follow a simple, impulsive idea 'yeah, let's bring touch to the Mac!' (as others do and fail), but give it some proper thought. I would also expect a different implementation, at least for the Mac, and would also not expect it before 10.8.
  • Reply 12 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's a natural evolution of Apple, iMacs and a big-ass screen. You want to reach out and touch it. Sure, it's gimmicky, but imagine them touch visual interfaces and apps Apple and others will come out with. It'll sell, if only for the novelty factor, it'll get more people to Macs. You gotta have at least one touchscreen model. But Apple will do the UI right and everyone else will be like... Damnnnn

If they could keep the price point as it is and have a 21" touchscreen model, that would be cool.

I see virtual slide guitars and synth keyboards ... mmmmm

We should not forget Ballmer already has one, ok it is a converted pool table, weighs two tons and requires several cameras and costs a zillion dollars but ... they were first! Ballmer has one in his back room for parties i hear. You can make water ripple and move virtual pieces of paper and a few pictures around.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    Quote:

Actually, I do agree. I also don't think this sounds like an Appleish approach. Apple usually doesn't follow a simple, impulsive idea 'yeah, let's bring touch to the Mac!' (as others do and fail), but give it some proper thought. I would also expect a different implementation, at least for the Mac, and would also not expect it before 10.8.

I?d much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.
  • Reply 14 of 135
    Quote:

I?d much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.

Yep - that would be a great iteration!
  • Reply 15 of 135
    Quote:

I’d much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.

We all watch CNN etc. and see large touch screens being used to show news and weather. A simple iteration to be sure but these systems show how much better direct manipulation is in many circumstances (as with the calculator). I find many things annoying to use with a mouse now AND a track pad after using the iPad. Yet I need the mouse and or stylus in fine detailed situations. I can see a hybrid OS in the future on higher end Macs with the best from each technology. Once used there will be no going back.
  • Reply 16 of 135
    Great idea. A 27 inch glossy screen full of fingerprints is going to look terrific.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    1) How did Blackintosh get off my ignore list.

2) I bet if this come to fruition he’ll be the first in line to say how this has been around for years and Apple is just copying everyone else again and trying to pass it off as their own idea, regardless of what SW they created to make it useful and viable for consumers.
  • Reply 18 of 135
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

I agree with you on calculator. But for me as a personal preference I don't want to get that close to my iMac to touch the screen. Overall the benifits don't sway me versus the annoyance of have to be that close to the screen to have to touch it all the time.....I would just grab my iPad and sit on the sofa....
  • Reply 19 of 135
    Quote:

1) How did he get off my ignore list.

2) i bet if this come to fruition he?ll be the first in line to say how this has been around for years and Apple is just copying everyone else again and trying to pass it off as their own idea, regardless of what SW they created to make it useful and viable for consumers.

I already paid all due reverence to MS's masterful implementation higher up the thread

AND you left HIS quote in!
  • Reply 20 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with you on calculator. But for me as a personal preference I don't want to get that close to my iMac to touch the screen. Overall the benifits don't sway me versus the annoyance of have to be that close to the screen to have to touch it all the time.....I would just grab my iPad and sit on the sofa....

I think a lot of people agree with you on not wanting to touch the screen. Even if Apple does resolve the uncomfortable notion of touching a vertical display there are still fingerprints and smudges* to contend with as well as the transition effort and time from vertical to fairly horizontal that make this less than ideal unless Apple has some very specific uses in place.

* I?m aware that iDevices use a touchscreen that suffer this fate, but it?s a necessary evil for those highly portable devices.