Online iPad 2 orders from Apple estimated to ship in 5-7 business days

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Friday began accepting orders online for the iPad 2, and the first buyers were told to expect the tablet to ship within two to three weeks [updated].

While initial orders were said to ship in two to three days, that quickly was pushed back to a wait of up to a week. But as of later Friday morning, models of the iPad 2, in all capacities and colors, in both the Wi-Fi model and 3G options from AT&T and Verizon now ship in two to three weeks. Apple began taking orders at 1 a.m. Pacific, 4 a.m. Eastern.

Those who don't want to wait for delivery will have the ability to buy an iPad 2 in person at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the U.S. Retail availability of the iPad 2 has also been greatly expanded for launch versus the first-generation tablet, and buyers will also be able to find the device at AT&T, Best Buy, Target, Verizon Wireless and Walmart, as well as select Apple Authorized Resellers.

As with last year, purchases of the iPad 2 are limited to two per customer. And if the launch of the first iPad is any indication, customers who hesitate to order could see their purchase ship even later than the current estimates.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi carries a suggested retail price of $499 for the 16GB model, $599 for the 32GB model, $699 for the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G wis $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32GB model and $829 for the 64GB model.

The new iPad 2 is one-third thinner than the first-generation model, just 8.8mm thick, even thinner than the iPhone 4. At just 1.3 pounds, it is lighter than the previous 1.5 pound iPad.

The new iPad also has rear and front facing cameras for recording video, taking photos, and FaceTime video chat. iPad 2 also packs the new A5 dual-core processor, which offers up to 9 times faster graphics processing with the same power consumption as last year's model.

While the iPad 2 is launching in the U.S. only on Friday, it will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on March 25; and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced by Apple at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    Shipping is 2-3 weeks as of 8:30am. Must be selling them fast
  • Reply 2 of 70
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    My receipt says 3-5 business days..
  • Reply 3 of 70
    I stopped by my local Wal-martian landing zone on my way to work, at about ten 'til eight. There was nobody working in electronics, but I could see iPad boxes behind the counter. There was also a sign on the counter stating that they were going on sale at 5:00 PM.

I found some guy stocking diapers 3 aisles over and asked him whether he could sell me an iPad. He moseyed back to electronics and fumbled through his keys and finally found the one for the cabinet. He asked me which one I wanted. Even invited me behind the counter to choose because he had no clue. They had 4 new ones on hand: 2 Wi-fi and 2 AT&T.

I picked the 32 GB Wi-fi and that's when it all came apart. He tried to scan the UPC. No dice. Tried 3 more times. Same result. He picked up the phone and called the manager on duty. I could only hear one side of the conversation, but I surmise that the other side went something like, "do you know how to read that sign on the counter, moron?"

"Sorry, sir, you can't buy this until 5:00."

So I guess I'm waiting for my online order to ship...
  • Reply 4 of 70
    At 4am Eastern it was 3-5 days, and by around 6:30am it had slipped to 5-7. My wife's very glad she took the slightly extreme measure of waking up at 4am to order it.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    waiting in line to get face time does not seem worth it to me. i will continue to 'get by' with my original iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    aniloanilo Posts: 7member
    I ordered at 4:15am EST and mine says Ships in 3-5 days. Order confirmation says delivery estimated March 18.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    I ordered them 10 minutes ago and on screen had the exact same thing - 2-3 weeks, however after checkout on my receipt it says 3-5 business days or 5-7 business days. I think it's the website automatically pushing the dates out due to the volume and interest of people adding them to their carts but not purchasing them.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

waiting in line to get face time does not seem worth it to me. i will continue to 'get by' with my original iPad.

I am going to take my chances in line. I'm still hopeful since there are a lot more stores selling them this year. Plus maybe I can pay someone at the head of the line a crisp fiver ($5) to cut in.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It seems like that figure of 600,000 might be a bit on the low side.

2-3 weeks now? Apple sold out their whole online stock in a few hours?

And it doesn't seem like it's going to be easy to pick one up retail either, unless somebody is prepared and willing to wait in line for hours.

I wish that the Apple stores nearby me had a webcam outside the stores, so I could see if it's even worth the trip.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Plus maybe I can pay someone at the head of the line a crisp fiver ($5) to cut in.

This girl waiting outside an Apple store in New York was offered $650 for her spot according to an article posted here earlier. And she was holding out for $700.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilo View Post

I ordered at 4:15am EST and mine says Ships in 3-5 days. Order confirmation says delivery estimated March 18.

yes it is 3-5 business days. My cousin has March 18th also, he ordered at 4am as well.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

I am going to take my chances in line. I'm still hopeful since there are a lot more stores selling them this year. Plus maybe I can pay someone at the head of the line a crisp fiver ($5) to cut in.

Yeah, but to make it fair you'll need to pay that person, plus every person behind them. That could be a lot of fivers!
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Quote:

yes it is 3-5 business days. My cousin has March 18th also, he ordered at 4am as well.

I guess it's 3-5 business days then. Yeah, I need to read things more carefully.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    I ordered my iPad2 at 01:10 with engraving and still had a 3-5 day shipping time. Glad I got my order in early.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cambangst View Post

I stopped by my local Wal-martian landing zone on my way to work, at about ten 'til eight. There was nobody working in electronics, but I could see iPad boxes behind the counter. There was also a sign on the counter stating that they were going on sale at 5:00 PM.

I found some guy stocking diapers 3 aisles over and asked him whether he could sell me an iPad. He moseyed back to electronics and fumbled through his keys and finally found the one for the cabinet. He asked me which one I wanted. Even invited me behind the counter to choose because he had no clue. They had 4 new ones on hand: 2 Wi-fi and 2 AT&T.

I picked the 32 GB Wi-fi and that's when it all came apart. He tried to scan the UPC. No dice. Tried 3 more times. Same result. He picked up the phone and called the manager on duty. I could only hear one side of the conversation, but I surmise that the other side went something like, "do you know how to read that sign on the counter, moron?"

"Sorry, sir, you can't buy this until 5:00."

So I guess I'm waiting for my online order to ship...

Great story.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I suspect stories of production issues were true and they don't have as many as they wanted to have for launch. But didn't want to wait. Hard to find other explanation for shift from previous launches where pre-orders were accepted prior to retail rollout.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

2-3 weeks now? Apple sold out their whole online stock in a few hours?

And it doesn't seem like it's going to be easy to pick one up retail either, unless somebody is prepared and willing to wait in line for hours.

I wish that the Apple stores nearby me had a webcam outside the stores, so I could see if it's even worth the trip.

My advice is, show up just before 5:00 and get in line if there is one. Unlike the iPhone (which requires all the paperwork associated with a phone), selling an iPad should take about 60 seconds. You won't be in line "for hours" unless you line up hours before 5:00. If you don't get one today BFD. Order one online and get it in a couple weeks or call around to other stores.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

My advice is, show up just before 5:00 and get in line if there is one. Unlike the iPhone (which requires all the paperwork associated with a phone), selling an iPad should take about 60 seconds. You won't be in line "for hours" unless you line up hours before 5:00. If you don't get one today BFD. Order one online and get it in a couple weeks or call around to other stores.

The Apple stores are going to have these stations where they're going to help customers set up their iPads and even download apps if the customers want. I can imagine that quite a few people are probably going to take advantage of that.

I just hope that these stations are separate from the actual cashiers, because I just want to be in and out as quick as possible. I'll set it up myself when I get home.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wait and see whether Apple announce sales figures on Monday or Tuesday. They will only likely do this if they top 1 million.

Everyone was saying the Verizon iPhone would be a huge hit, but instead there has been a deafening silence where sales figures are concerned, and instead reports of lacklustre sales, excuses that most people bought online, and claims that the Verizon network has been easily able to cope with the iPhone. To my mind, all this says is that sales of the iPhone on Verizon were nowhere near expectations.

Will the iPad2 suffer a similar reaction? After all, a lot of people are tightening their belts and choosing to forego spending on such discretionary purchases given uncertain economic times.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    I had one in my cart around 6 and it had the 5-7 business days. Stupidly, I didn't check out until 9 and it had changed to 2-3 weeks by then.