Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google and Samsung have canceled an event planned for next week where the companies were supposed to announce the first smartphone based on Android "Ice Cream Sandwich," a move reportedly made in response to the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The two companies are said to have rescheduled the event out of respect for Jobs, sources told Ina Fried of All Things D. The companies were originally scheduled to show off the next version of Google's Android operating system, dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich, along with a new "Nexus" smartphone built by Samsung on Tuesday.

"Sources said the companies just felt it was the wrong time to hold a launch event, as the world continues mourning Jobs, who died on Wednesday," Fried wrote.

Samsung and Google earlier on Friday issued a joint statement stating they would postpone the "Samsung Mobile Unpacked" event during the CTIA trade show in San Diego, Calif. "Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product," the press release vaguely said.

The move by Samsung and Apple is particularly interesting because Apple has not changed its plans to launch the iPhone 4S next week. The company began taking preorders earlier Friday for the handset's Oct. 14 launch.

Both Google and Samsung have paid their respects to Jobs since he died after a long bout with cancer on Wednesday at the age of 56. Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, formerly served as a member on Apple's board of directors.

Teasers for the now-postponed event have teased that the companies will show off "something big." Reports have indicated the new handset will sport a curved screen with a 4.65-inch display, and will be the first handset to run Android 4.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 192
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Respect.
  • Reply 2 of 192
    While this is an incredibly touching and honoring move, I don't believe Steve would approve if we had the chance to ask him. I know he would want things to continue as if nothing happened. As much as he believed he had the superior products and processes, Steve Jobs valued competition and embraced it, and I think he would want his competitors to keep trying as hard as they can to be better, because that will also force Apple to be better as well. Apple keeping the status quo and pushing ahead with their new launch, continuing to work hard on new products, and making sure everything is up to Apple's standard is exactly the right way to honor Steve, because if he were still with us, that's exactly what he would be doing right now.
  • Reply 3 of 192
    I'm inclined to think that this cancellation is more about Steve's death overshadowing this event, than it being out of respect. They want to grab all the headlines, rather than be largely ignored by the media at this time.
  • Reply 4 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung and Google earlier on Friday issued a joint statement stating they would postpone the "Samsung Mobile Unpacked" event during the CTIA trade show in San Diego, Calif. "Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product," the press release vaguely said.

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.

My hunch is that there is nothing wrong with the Samsung handset hardware, but that there may be some issues with the Android OS, either from a stability perspective or possibly a lack of features which became more glaringly apparent after final details of iOS 5 were unveiled (specifically Siri Assistant).

They're still going to participate in the tradeshow. Apple doesn't participate at tradeshows, and both these companies know that Apple can hold a random press event with a week's notice. And frankly, I don't know how much press would be accorded to something like this Google-Samsung event anyhow. It's not like you see people lining up around the block waiting for the next Android handset.
  • Reply 5 of 192
    I call BS. Something went wrong and they're using this as an excuse to buy some time.
  • Reply 6 of 192
    It's very rare for a business to do something like this for a competitor. Regardless of how a person feels toward Google/Samsung they did it out of respect. A fallen rival such as Mr. Jobs shows they even they for a split moment in time aren't always the =

That's about as much class as one can show in this type of business. Then again this is just my 2 cents.

Though I'm sure I'll get knocked for not slamming them or cursing them. Then again who cares...
  • Reply 7 of 192
    I am inclined to believe it is what they say it is...

There are many reasons that could contribute to the decision...

But, let's just say that common courtesy and common sense ruled the day.

Well done Google and Samsung!
  • Reply 8 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.

yea stick to your textbook rationale.
  • Reply 9 of 192
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is very fishy.

Agreed.

All this anthropomorphizing of corporations is bizarre. Corporations don't do things out of "respect". They do things to make money.

For whatever reason, delaying the launch is calculated to yield a greater profit than going forward as planned. Maybe the PR value of appearing respectful, maybe to polish the software, maybe to garner more headlines, whatever.
  • Reply 10 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Agreed.

All this anthropomorphizing of corporations is bizarre. Corporations don't do things out of "respect". They do things to make money.

For whatever reason, delaying the launch is calculated to yield a greater profit than going forward as planned. Maybe the PR value of appearing respectful, maybe to polish the software, maybe to garner more headlines, whatever.

True, corporations don't, but maybe the people who run them do.
  • Reply 11 of 192
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Out of respect? Google, maybe. But Samsung?

And an event that's still a week away? Odd.

Maybe the Ice Cream is still a little soft....

Or, more likely, they don't want to be seen as attempting to trash Steve and his creations so close to his death.

Whatever it is, there's a business decision behind it.
  • Reply 12 of 192
    The real reason is Apple showed the 4S and gave more details about iOS 5. Now Google and Samsung are frantically trying to clone the 4S and iOS 5 and are delaying just like they copy everything else Apple does. Same story, different day
  • Reply 13 of 192
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    +1 for fishy. Sounds more convenient, like it was not ready.
  • Reply 14 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I read the new Samsung Nexus S is 9mm thin. That I believe, but I doubt its thickest point is only 9mm when you compare it to the rest of the device in the teaser image.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am inclined to believe it is what they say it is...

There are many reasons that could contribute to the decision...

But, let's just say that common courtesy and common sense ruled the day.

Well done Google and Samsung!

1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face. If that is the case that then is despicable, though not out of character for both Samsung and Google.

2) Apple isn't pushing back it's iOS 5.0 or iPhone 4S launch because of Steve Jobs's death, so why would Samsung or Google delay?
  • Reply 15 of 192
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Ah, sh**-talking the competition trying to pay respect, claiming other motives. Steve would be proud.
  • Reply 16 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

True, corporations don't, but maybe the people who run them do.

Yes... When someone as accomplished and renowned as Steve dies at such a young age, It makes each of us think, if just for a moment:

"There, but for the grace of God, go I".
  • Reply 17 of 192
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face.

Possibly, though they do claim that the release date of the device won't be affected. FWIW the video of ICS that leaked today looks okay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DvsXyeY0HVE
  • Reply 17 of 192
    I don't think it would even matter how long they postponed the event. Even if it was for an hour, the gesture is priceless.
  • Reply 19 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes... When someone as accomplished and renowned as Steve dies at such a young age, It makes each of us think, if just for a moment:

"There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Yes, and some of the posts in thread (and others) make it clear that a lot of people here that Google and Apple, as well as the people at both companies, literally hate each other, which is ridiculous...
  • Reply 20 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

The real reason is Apple showed the 4S and gave more details about iOS 5. Now Google and Samsung are frantically trying to clone the 4S and iOS 5 and are delaying just like they copy everything else Apple does. Same story, different day

Exactly- wait til they unveil "our New Nexus running Suri!"