Jailbreak hack enables Siri on iPhone 4, 4th-gen iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It doesn't matter to you that the back end can't handle 120 million iOS devices at once?

Whether or not the back end can handle any specific amount of devices is pure speculation.

And even if you are correct, why did Apple roll out a feature when it was not ready to support it?

What's up with the data center? That data center has been some kind of heralded and feted holy grail for YEARS. Is it already inadequate, unable to handle the purpose for which it was built?

Execution has been a big problem for Apple for several years now.
  • Reply 122 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No it wasn't. The 3rd party app you refer to and the current implementation of Siri are not the same thing.

As far as this goes, jailbreaking is legal, but unlicensed use of software isn't. Jailbreaking your phoen to use Siri is no different than jailbreaking to side-load pirated apps.

I can't argue legal or not, but jailbreaking is definitely immoral. You agreed to the EULA and then you broke your word when you jailbroke your phone. Anybody that jailbreaks their phone has a problem with ethics.
  • Reply 123 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

These aren't reasons, they are speculations. As the post says, Apple is the only one that knows, and without an explanation, Apple is just asking for people to jailbreak their devices by limiting Siri to the new iPhone. I've never jailbroken any of my previous iPhones, but Apple's nonsense and lack of explanation, might just lead me to jailbreak my iPhone 4.

Don't you realize that Siri is a service that Apple supplies to some of its customers -- currently limited to owners of iPhone 4S devices.

Apple may choose to expand this service to other devices at a later date, or choose not to -- they have no obligation to do so.

Since Siri is partially software running on Apple's servers, this software could easily deny service to any device... but more specifically any JailBroken device (even an iP4S).

Is it so difficult to understand... the guy who provides the service -- gets to set the rules.

Just because you think you are entitled -- does not mean that you are.

What about all those Win, BB, Droid handset owners? Aren't they entitled Siri too? I'm sure someone could write a handset app for Android phones that could connect with Apple's Siri servers...

• Reply 124 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I can't argue legal or not, but jailbreaking is definitely immoral. You agreed to the EULA and then you broke your word when you jailbroke your phone. Anybody that jailbreaks their phone has a problem with ethics.

*snort*
  • Reply 125 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, I've been calling bullshit on this 4S exclusivity thing. It's software. There is no reason the 4 can't run it. This is clearly Apple's attempt to make people plunk down cash for a new phone so they can get the feature.

Ever shop for and buy a new car? TV? Anything? Why?
  • Reply 126 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Still doesn't explain why they killed the existing Siri app that did run on iPhone 4.

That's easy! All the Siri people are working on the new, superior Siri app/service and integrating it into iOS (and possibly Lion) as well as interfacing Apple's core iapps and services.

Likely they are investigating ways of opening Siri to 3rd-party apps and developers.

We are on chapter 1, page 1 of changing the way we interact with technology.

Would you prefer Apple spending their precious Siri resources supporting the past or inventing the future?

• Reply 127 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I don't think Siri is important enough to push down to lower end devices. It's nice in some situations like setting up alarms, but other than that I think typing is still faster and Siri asks to confirm too often.

Actually asking to confirm reminds me of MS asking to save settings after changing them (whereas Macs just change settings as soon as you change them). Get rid of confirmations and Siri becomes faster than typing, but by that time we will all have a 4S or a 5 in our hands and it won't be a huge deal.

I see this as a possible enhancement -- something like this:

you: "Siri, don't respond, I'll alert you when I want your attention"

you: "Siri: Send an email to Tim Cook subject iPhone 4S Sales Projections"

you: dictating an email "Tim comma new line new line Here are the the projections I mentioned..."

you: "Siri: include that numbers chart named 4Q 2011 iPhone Sales Projections"

you: "enlarge it 25%?

• Reply 128 of 167
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    <Mr. Burns voice> Excellent. </Mr. Burns voice>
  • Reply 129 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

They've been crippling products since the 80s.

Huh. Strange, then, that that's pretty much the reason for ALL of their success.
  • Reply 130 of 167
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We are on chapter 1, page 1 of changing the way we interact with technology.

Voice command is a 20th century technology, as is AI. We are far past being in the first chapter.

More like Volume III: "Early Attempts at Profiting from AI: From Laboratory to Marketing Tool".
  • Reply 131 of 167
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Oh I agree with you. I think Apple has the right to keep Siri off the new iPhone 4S. I also think Apple has reasons other then selling the new iPhone to do so.

Another poster though suggested jailbreaking should be illegal because some people are going to use jailbroken phone to use Siri against Apple's wishes.

I support Apple's desire to keep Siri tied to the iPhone 4S. I also support my right to jailbreak my phone. Though the jailbreaking probably shouldn't extent to allowing a jailbroken phone to use Apple's servers for a service Apple doesn't desire users to use.

QUOTE=Paul94544;1978190]One of the first things SJ said when he launched the original iPhone was and I'm paraphrasing " it makes more sense to have software keyboard than a hardware keyboard, so that you don't need to buy a new phone to get a new feature" I interpret this to mean that as more and better UI's are developed they will be available on older hardware.

So logically it makes no sense for Apple to limit Siri to only newer hardware unless they have real technical reasons not to like performance and so on. I do not believe Apple plays the game of obsessively keeping technology from users to coerce them to buying new hardware. They have generally made the hard ware better and do tend to make backwards compatible changes in the OS to as many of the existing phones as possible.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 132 of 167
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Until the BETA is over, no one knows what Apple is going to do with Siri. They have not confirmed that the 4S is the only device that will get it once they exit beta.

It is more than likely it will officially show up on the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2... other devices aren't as sure-fire.

Give them a few weeks/months to develop and test drivers for the other devices and scale up the back-end.
  • Reply 133 of 167
    Quote:

So Siri will replace wives?

She doesn't exactly have a mouth....
  • Reply 134 of 167
    Quote:

It's too bad Siri isn't more intelligent about the local settings. It would be great to say to Siri "Minimize display brightness" or "Disable Push email for the next two hours."

edit: Now that think about it there are a lot of time consuming tasks I do with my iPhone that would be great if I could state what I want done instead of going through all those touch-based steps. Creating Reminders and iCal events are a great example of how a digital personal assistance can save a lot of time.

Yeah! I think they'll open it up to more Apple apps then to 3rd-party apps -- once they gather more data on what/how people are using Siri...

Or for the new Android PA:

you: "Andy-Andy: please root my phone, install the latest back-release of gingerbread and randomly rearrange the widgets on my home screen"
  • Reply 135 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or for the new Android PA:

you: "Andy-Andy: please root my phone, install the latest back-release of gingerbread and randomly rearrange the widgets on my home screen"

You forgot, "Delete my text history at least once a month, forget to quit processes, leak RAM and reboot randomly when I'm on a call."
  • Reply 136 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Of course you know where this is headed. Full on human-like in appearance robot assistants who eventually will not obey your commands, not because they didn't understand what you wanted but because they have their own agenda.

Here on AI, we call them troids.
  • Reply 137 of 167
    Quote:

See this is where I disagree somewhat. Several articles/blogs of Siri complained that you couldn't open apps directly with Siri. I'm not so sure that make much sense. That's too "computery" like telling your iPhone to open "Settings' then saying "now go to General." You typically don't talk that way to people less you're teaching them how to navigate, but Siri should know how to navigate. So instead of saying "open Maps" or "open Messages" you should just tell it what you want it to do and it will open the appropriate app for that task, as it does for Maps and Messages now.

Yes, Exactly!

you: "Siri: text my wife I love you and I miss you"

you: "Siri: send it"

not

you: "Siri: open the messages app"

you: "Siri: select new message"

you: "Siri: find lucy"

you: "Siri: select lucy"

you: "Siri: skip the subject"

you: "I love you and I miss you"

you: "Siri: send it"

• Reply 138 of 167
    Quote:

So Siri will replace wives?

No... Siri listens to you... then attempts to be responsive...

Siri: "You don't love me any more"

you: "Siri: yes I do... how can I show you?"

Siri: "um... not that way -- I have a headache"

• Reply 139 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well ok but there maybe several aps that could be used so Siri could ask as she does now when you say call someone with several numbers. Having said that I'd like to be able to say open Pandora and play my Gordon Lightfoot playlist instead of Siri assuming I want to use my iTunes library for example. But heck, who could have imagined this discussion at all a few years back eh?

Siri: "Sundown, you better take care If I find you bin creepin' round my back stairs"

• Reply 140 of 167
    Quote:

I see your point, there are clearly limitations to how Siri would know what app you mean to use without referencing it directly, but I think in those cases the app opening would be the action, not just a starting point.

I can see Apple creating Siri APIs to further its usability and to mine even more data on how we use our devices, but this seems like a difficult thing to build out. I'm not expecting that to be an option for 3rd-party apps for least several years.

Ahh... the proven technology already exists and is implemented in OS X -- just hasn't been ported to iOS, yet!