Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The UI needs to be changed drastically for a smaller tablet. Unless that is done, the UX will suffer.

Stop saying that it's very annoying, iOS was designed to work on a screen that is 3.5", nothing needs to be changed especially if the resolution is 1024 x 768. Where do you come up with this stuff.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Stop saying that it's very annoying, iOS was designed to work on a screen that is 3.5", nothing needs to be changed especially if the resolution is 1024 x 768. Where do you come up with this stuff.

So despite the the 3.5" 4:3 iPhone/Touch UI being completely redesigned to be ideal for the 9.7" 4:3 display you think nothing needed to be changed? Good one¡
  • Reply 83 of 129
    Anyone see an irony that there's this clamor for Apple to make the iPhone bigger and the iPad smaller?

I can see them doing one, but both?
  • Reply 84 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

To the doubters all I can is: Apple "If you build it, they will come"

Right, my point exactly, all the nay sayers will be the first ones in line to buy one just wait and see. Sure you can so no, no, that just isn't so till your brain implodes but the fact of the matter is it will be a cheaper and a lot more portable to carry arround. Sorry but my purse isn't big enough for a normal sized iPad, especially now that it's thicker and heavier. A 7.8" will be a welcomed addition and not only that but it will introduce people to the iPad who couldn't normally afford to purchase the normal one. Price is a big motivator, for me however it's the size, I use my Samsung 7.7" way more often then my iPad because it's very easy and comfortable to take with me while on the go.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Anyone see an irony that there's this clamor for Apple to make the iPhone bigger and the iPad smaller?

I can see them doing one, but both?

I see neither.

Remember when analysts were CERTAIN that Apple would release the iPhone nano.

The iPhone, you see, is too big. There has to be a smaller model. And no data. And no apps, either. 2.5" screen. It's what everyone wants!

Just like the iPad is too big. There has to be a smaller model. 7" screen, you see. That's what everyone really wants.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Smaller phones make little sense and to a certain extent so do larger phones.

At this point there's a significant investment in docking accessories that would be in danger if the form factor changed significantly.

In a couple of years Airplay hopefully will be the ideal solution for linking devices with audio and video systems and docking will become an afterthought.

As for the iPad. The current model went in the wrong direction. Heavier was not the way to go. I understand why but a sub 1lb iPad would be desirous by many.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

As for the iPad. The current model went in the wrong direction. Heavier was not the way to go.

What would you have dropped to prevent that?

Battery life? LTE? The retina display? The processor?
  • Reply 88 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What would you have dropped to prevent that?

Battery life? LTE? The retina display? The processor?

The new iPad has immense battery density. 42 mAh is incredible. But lets look at why

A5X processor:

fabbed at 45nm

HUGE GPU

Baseband chips

fabbed at 45nm (nextgen will be 28nm)

Retina Display :

Requires dual light bars.

-----------------

Apple should be able to cut that battery in half and still power a smaller tablet for 10 hours.

They may be able to use AMOLED or IGZO displays for more efficient power draw.

The A5 processor in the Apple TV and iPad 2 is 32nm and smaller (higher yield = lower cost)

By Q3 this year volume production of smaller more efficient parts should enable not only Apple but every other tablet maker the ability to deliver smaller tablets that are more batter efficient than their predecessors .

Battery density will be the key for reducing weight and Apple appears to be in great shape to shrink the battery yet keep the power up.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So despite the the 3.5" 4:3 iPhone/Touch UI being completely redesigned to be ideal for the 9.7" 4:3 display you think nothing needed to be changed? Good one¡

Nope, nothing needs to be changed now, sure maybe when they first went from iPhone to iPad their was some small tweaks but now, no way, Roles Eyes. The iPad 2 is 1024 x 768 so the same resolution can be easly used for the 7.8". Heck they could easly use a 16.9 resolution if Apple wanted to, Apple TV, 1080p. It's just a shell that runs on top of iOS.

Just like my Galaxy Note when connected via HDMI, the phone stays at 1280 x 800 but it's displayed as 1920 x 1080 on my Samsung Flatscreen. Same as my iPad when connected to Apple TV, it's displayed at the same resolution as th TV. iOS is like any other modern OS, it can display pretty much any resolution without major UI overhaul or whatever your talking about. I swear do you really think that iOS is that fragile that whenever Apple decides to change resolution or aspect ratio it would mean a complete rewrite of the UI. That would mean iOS is the worst OS ever designed. Rolls eyes so much Relic's eyes pop out of head.
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I swear do you really think that iOS is that fragile that whenever Apple decides to change resolution or aspect ratio it would mean a complete rewrite of the UI. That would mean iOS is the worst OS ever designed. Rolls eyes so much Relic's eyes pop out of head.

A seven inch screen is too small to properly address a great tablet app.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    A ten inch screen is too small to properly address a great tablet app.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

A 7 inch screen is not big enough to make great tablet apps. There is a limit as to how close you can space elements for usability. That is why a 10 inch tablet is the minimum size for great tablet apps.

Apple didn't start out making 7 inch tablets because it is too small to express tablet software. Apple is a software-first company. Developers won't deal really well with a small screen when they can't put enough elements on the screen to build the apps they want to build.

Sigh.......

1. How many thousands of apps are there for the 3.5" iPod/iPhone? - I've never heard anyone complain about them.

2. It's a different product. If you want great tablet apps you would still buy the iPad. The 7" would appeal to a different market - people who want a lighter more portable device. As such it would be perfectly fine for 99% of apps - eBooks, games, PDA stuff, etc.

3. Apple have said repeatedly over the past few years that they are a HARDWARE company. The software is just there to make the hardware look good. Steve and Tim have said this over and over.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Unless the UI is completely revamped, it will have to ship with sandpaper so that users can convert their fingertips into bloody little nubs.

The current iPad 2 UI was designed for a 10 inch tablet. It will NOT WORK WELL on a 7 inch tablet.

Quote:

I've said nothing that has not previously been said here at least 100 times.

1. A UI designed for a 10 inch tablet will not work well on a 7 inch tablet.

2. A larger iPhone would not fit comfortably into a pocket.

Either refute the standard wisdom, or don't.

The Icons on the iPad are actually spaced at a much greater distance than The iPhone. I think it wastes space. I bet they have always planned this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see neither.

Remember when analysts were CERTAIN that Apple would release the iPhone nano.

The iPhone, you see, is too big. There has to be a smaller model. And no data. And no apps, either. 2.5" screen. It's what everyone wants!

Just like the iPad is too big. There has to be a smaller model. 7" screen, you see. That's what everyone really wants.

Very few analyst predicted that. Making the iPhone smaller was impossible given battery issues, this isn't. You are a conservative following a radical company. I don't get that. Apple are not finished with form factors, in 2015 it won't be 3.5 " phones and. 10" tablets.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    I'll get one if the memory is at least 32 Gb and it has the latest A5 chip. If it can do everything the current iPad does minus the retina display it will work well for me.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A ten inch screen is too small to properly address a great tablet app.

Not in Steve's opinion.

"we don’t think you can make a great tablet with a seven-inch screen. We think it’s too small to express the software that people want to put on these things. And we think, as a software-driven company, we think about the software strategies first. "
  • Reply 96 of 129
    Quote:

3. Apple have said repeatedly over the past few years that they are a HARDWARE company. The software is just there to make the hardware look good. Steve and Tim have said this over and over.

QFT

Apple's goal is to put more shiny devices in someones home. Once that's realized then talk about new product is easier to understand.
  • Reply 97 of 129
    Quote:

A seven inch screen is too small to properly address a great tablet app.

It would be the same resolution as the ipad 2 or maybe even more to make it Retina, how would that decrease the ability to view a "great tablet app". Because it's smaller, are you having problems viewing apps on a 3.5" inch screen now. I own a tablet that is 7.7" with a resolution of 1280 x 800 with 200 dpi, it's very easy to read, whatever app is on the screen. My Samung Note which is 5.3" is very readable at the same resolution. I don't understand where your getting your info from and I really think your just guessing here.

Unless of course you have really bad eyesite then perhaps you shouldn't chime in as this format wasn't met for you. Listen I'm happy that the normal iPad meets all of your needs but some of us travel a whole lot or even commute to work and a smaller, lighter tablet is a welcomed thing.

If you don't want it then don't buy it but don't try to defer the rest of us who do want one.

Besides Apple is into making the most money possible off of a device and a smaller tablet wouldn't bring in very good returns so it probably won't happen. Here's hoping that it will happen though but untill then other manufactures make very good products to choose from. The Samsung 7.7 is one of the best tablets on the market today for those who like Android that is.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    Quote:

Not in the opinion of Apple.

Now your complaining that ten inches is to big because Apple's iPad is 9.7". Breathe Relic, breathe, it's just a post from an insane person.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    Quote:

Here's what Steve said:

"we don?t think you can make a great tablet with a seven-inch screen. We think it?s too small to express the software that people want to put on these things. And we think, as a software-driven company, we think about the software strategies first. "

Apple is a software-driven company. Apple thinks about the software strategies first.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I'll get one if the memory is at least 32 Gb and it has the latest A5 chip. If it can do everything the current iPad does minus the retina display it will work well for me.

Oh I'm sure they'll have a 32GB model. I would love to see some sort of physical exspansion though like MiniSD card. I still don't understand why Apple refuses to add ome. It can't be bulk or weight as the current iPad is not very thin or light. I'm tired of using that SD card expansion thing, it hangs out to far from the bottom and you need a Jail Broken system to properly use it. Well use it where it's actually usefull anyway.