Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It would be the same resolution as the ipad 2 or maybe even more to make it Retina,

?While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size.?
  • Reply 102 of 129
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple thinks about software strategies to get people to purchase Mac hardware.

The vast majority of Apple's profits come from the sales of hardware. If Apple was a software driven company they would be licensing their software including the OS. But they don't because the software is just a dongle for the expensive hardware.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

?While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size.?

Jobs was obviously lying, as he did about steaming music, phones and tablets.

If we need to sandpaper for a 7" tablet we would need to sandpaper for a 3.5" phone, but much more. It's mis direction
  • Reply 104 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Here's what Steve said:

"we don?t think you can make a great tablet with a seven-inch screen. We think it?s too small to express the software that people want to put on these things. And we think, as a software-driven company, we think about the software strategies first. "

Apple is a software-driven company. Apple thinks about the software strategies first.

We don't think, meaning it wasn't set it stone, meaning it's possible they have changed there mind. As horrible as it was loosing Steve Jobs he is no longer with us, it won't be anti-steve doctrine ifa Apple decides to make a smaller iPad. It's just progress and going where the market takes you. Like Shaun, UK said, "make it and they will come".
  • Reply 105 of 129
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

All Things D Conference, 2003....

Walt Mossberg: "A lot of people think given the success you?ve had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA".

Steve Jobs: ?There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the tablet and we think it?s going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already?.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Here's what Steve said:

"we don?t think you can make a great tablet with a seven-inch screen. We think it?s too small to express the software that people want to put on these things. And we think, as a software-driven company, we think about the software strategies first. "

Apple is a software-driven company. Apple thinks about the software strategies first.

I understand what Steve has said, but Apple makes most of its money off it's hardware. I would argue these days Apple is more well known for their hardware (look and feel) of their products than their OS. I was in Best Buy a few months ago buying a cheap(er) laptop for my niece. I asked the sales associate about Ultrabooks and what the draw was and he basically said people want a laptop that looks like a MacBook Air but runs Windows.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

All Things D Conference, 2003....

Walt Mossberg: "A lot of people think given the success you?ve had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA".

Steve Jobs: ?There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the tablet and we think it?s going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already?.

Heh, good find. When Apple released the iPod photo didn't Steve knock video on portable music devices? Didn't he say photos were the way to go? Of course a few years later they released iPod's that played video and of course the iPod Nano with video recording.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I hope Apple does not go 7.85" - and instead does 6.5". The difference between 7.85" and 9.7" is too small and there is a strong possibility that 7.85" could cannibalize the existing iPad. A 6.5" option would be clearly differentiated, and unlikely to cannibalize the existing iPad. At 6.5", the device would be positioned cleanly between the iPod Touch and iPad.

There are multiple reasons why it makes sense to do a 6.5" screen.

- Don't leave open any segment for the competition to establish a beachhead. With Windows Fire tablets likely to flood the markets, an iPad Mini at $249 will be a compelling option. A lot of customers would pick up the iPad Mini if such a product is available.

- There are some use cases where the 9.7" form factor is not required, and probably not ideal. For instance, if you want to mount the iPad inside a car, 9.7" is quite big, and you might find it difficult to find space to mount it in a car. On the other hand, a 6.5" device might be easier to mount, especially if the bezel is compressed signficantly.

- People use the iPad for a variety of things. While 9.7" might be ideal and required for content creation, simple content consumption might be perfectly fine with a 6.5" screen. Movies, Music, Mail, etc should be quite good even on the smaller screen.

- 6.5" would make it crystal clear that this is a content consumption device. It should not be used for content creation - even for things like Mail. In fact, once Siri matures, Apple should possibly discourage using the keyboard on this smaller device, and encourage people to use Siri.

- A smaller tablet might actually give Apple more ecosystem benefits, and help position Apple even stronger vis-a-vis Amazon.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Heh, good find. When Apple released the iPod photo didn't Steve knock video on portable music devices? Didn't he say photos were the way to go? Of course a few years later they released iPod's that played video and of course the iPod Nano with video recording.

He did indeed. Here's the quote from the same conference...

Walt Mossberg: "Do you have plans for movies on the iPod?"

Steve Jobs: "I?m not convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen. To paraphrase Bill Clinton, it?s the music, stupid, it?s the music. Music?s been around for a long time, will continue to be, its huge. Not speculative, a real tangible market".

Steve was the master of misdirection when he wanted to keep Apple's plans secret from the competition, to buy them time to develop another insanely great product. I see no reason why Tim won't continue with this policy.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    i prefer this one than ipad. it's handy too
  • Reply 111 of 129
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Jobs was obviously lying, as he did about steaming music, phones and tablets.

If we need to sandpaper for a 7" tablet we would need to sandpaper for a 3.5" phone, but much more. It's mis direction

He wasn't lying, there were years between his statements and Apple's implementation of features/devices. They may have been thinking about those things at the time but you can't very well say "we're looking into getting into the phone business but haven't come up with a viable option and won't for a couple of years" because that's a bumbling business move. Until they're ready to go to market with something it's ridiculous to talk about it as an eventuality.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

He wasn't lying, there were years between his statements and Apple's implementation of features/devices. They may have been thinking about those things at the time but you can't very well say "we're looking into getting into the phone business but haven't come up with a viable option and won't for a couple of years" because that's a bumbling business move. Until they're ready to go to market with something it's ridiculous to talk about it as an eventuality.

He went out of his way to rubbish the ideas. ergo we cant trust what Apple said.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

He went out of his way to rubbish the ideas. ergo we cant trust what Apple said.

They went out of their way to fight Flash and Java.

Apparently Apple was lying about how bad they were, too.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They went out of their way to fight Flash and Java.

Apparently Apple was lying about how bad they were, too.

Most of your mode of argumentation is whataboutary. At the start you mentioned the iPhone nano. What about the analysts who mentioned the iPhone nano ( well they were wrong, but so what - what do you think this proves about this actual rumour. Nothing).

Now you've moved onto Java.

Thats a crap argument anyway, but in this case it fails even the most basic of logical tests, its bad whataboutary. Apple are not going to go into the Flash or Java markets, and were never.

What I, and others, are demonstrating here is that Apple ( and, often Jobs) rubbish a hardware format or type of device and then produce that very thing.

There are plenty of reasons for Apple to make this device, the main one is to stop a leaking of a segment of the market from under them. Here is some very bad news for you. Apple are almost certainly not going to be producing one tablet size,and one phone size in 2020. Its like the iPods. They innovative the platform, and then within the platform. And if not in 2020, why not change now?

And once again I wonder why you follow an innovative company, since you seem to get annoyed when they move onto other devices outside your comfort zone.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:

Again, it's not like they said it one day and then came out with a product the next, there were years between the events and in all likelihood, they didn't see it in their future. Apple experiments with hundreds of ideas that never see the light of day.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    Quote:

Again, it's not like they said it one day and then came out with a product the next, there were years between the events and in all likelihood, they didn't see it in their future. Apple experiments with hundreds of ideas that never see the light of day.

It doesn't actually experiment with that many ideas. The quote about the video was from 2003, the video iPod was released in 2005.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:

It doesn't actually experiment with that many ideas. The quote about the video was from 2003, the video iPod was released in 2005.

Apple files over a hundred patents a year. This output isn't the result of one guy sitting in a room all day, there are any number of projects going on at the company that don't see the light of day. Apple only focuses on bringing a few ideas to market a year but that doesn't mean nobody's working on anything else.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:

Apple files over a hundred patents a year. This output isn't the result of one guy sitting in a room all day, there are any number of projects going on at the company that don't see the light of day. Apple only focuses on bringing a few ideas to market a year but that doesn't mean nobody's working on anything else.

They don't really have a research group - outside of johathon Ive;s department. Most of the patents are software and many are claims on existing functionality.

But this isn't really about patentable stuff necessarily, unless decreasing the size of something is patentable.

If Apple have gone so far as to have ordered components they are seriously looking into something. These mythical non-products are never discovered, or talked about. We do know there were two iPhone teams, one using the iPod OS. but thats it, in terms of significant unreleased products.

I find the hostility to this a bit remarkable. I would be interested in people saying why they think this is technically not possible, instead it seems that people who have little interest in a smaller iPad are just hand waving.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I've said nothing that has not previously been said here at least 100 times.

1. A UI designed for a 10 inch tablet will not work well on a 7 inch tablet.

2. A larger iPhone would not fit comfortably into a pocket.

Either refute the standard wisdom, or don't.

You have no idea what your talking about. A 7.85" iPad with the exact same resolution as a iPad 2 would be identical in every way, just smaller. It's like my Galaxy Note with 1280 x 800 and my Galaxy Tab 7.7" with 1280 x 800, they both look identical when displaying the same apps.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You have no idea what your talking about. A 7.85" iPad with the exact same resolution as a iPad 2 would be identical in every way, just smaller. It's like my Galaxy Note with 1280 x 800 and my Galaxy Tab 7.7" with 1280 x 800, they both look identical when displaying the same apps.

So if the resolution is the same then it's identical?

Let's use an extreme example to show just how stupid a comment that is. Let's say you have a 1280x800 resolution display that is 1" on the diagonal and another display that is 80" on the diagonal. They are the same resolution so, in your mind, they are similar in every detail; exactly alike and should require no change to idealize the UI for the different sizes because they have the resolution and therefore are identical?