Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129

Guys, forgive me if i do not make sense.  I am brand new to the forums and pretty much to the world of Apple also.  I own an Ipod Touch but plan on buying an Ipad, Imac and Apple tv sometime this year.  

My question is, what is the actual viewable area of a movie on Ipad when taking into consideration the black bars?

Also, if Ipad Mini is supposedly 7.85, wouldn't that make it useless as a movie watching device?  7 inch screen with borders top and bottom would be awful, yes?  

If anyone could send pics of their ipad playing a wide screen movie, at 2:35, that would be great.  I am a huge movie fan and already have a bluray player and large tv.  This is obviously for other use such as vocations etc..  

• Reply 122 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steed eel View Post

…what is the actual viewable area of a movie on iPad when taking into consideration the black bars?

Depends on the movie. If it's 4:3, then it's 9.8".

If it's 16:9 or 2.39:1, that's different. I'm not sure of the math myself.

Also, if Ipad Mini is supposedly 7.85, wouldn't that make it useless as a movie watching device?  7 inch screen with borders top and bottom would be awful, yes?  

Yes, which is one of the many reasons it isn't happening.

• Reply 123 of 129

Thanks Tallest.  I was referring to a wide screen movie not 4:3.  

As for the Ipad Mini, it seems like a odd choice to me if they did release it.  The Kindle Fire  and Nook Tablet is/are consumption devices, therefore a wide screen tablet is necessary.  If the mini is competing in that field it would make sense to make the device wide screen also.  Otherwise, might as well just use ipod touch.  

• Reply 124 of 129
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steedeel View Post

.... a wide screen tablet is necessary.  If the mini is competing in that field it would make sense to make the device wide screen also.  Otherwise, might as well just use ipod touch.  

Maybe you could turn to the 10" tablet, the new iPad(3rd-gen) or Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 could be you choice.

Personally I would suggest you get the new iPad, as its retina display and better camera really stunning features, and Im familiar to the iPad more, have got many tips&free apps from ifunia ipad column and somewheres.

• Reply 125 of 129
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A lot of people have problems grasping why Apple would go this route. The nmber one issue is that there is a huge untapped market out there for a smaller device. Especially for people that travel a lot, those that want a multipurpose reader device, people in industry and highly mobile workers.

As for this being unpredictable I think that is non sense, it is highly predictable that Apple will introduce many more iOS devices. A tablet that can sit between an iPod/iPhone and an iPad would be a very good idea.

They would target a diversity of users just like they do know with the iPod and iPads. If you are observant you will see that it isn't easy to nail down a "typical" iOS device user. I think it is a big mistake for people to think that ---> because I use an iOS device all users must be like me.
    kerryb wrote: »
    I don't see this happening either but Apple is one unpredictable company sometimes. The iPad line may follow the iPod route with smaller less expensive models however the iPods had a feature shrink along with a price and size decrease. Would a smaller iPad be aimed at Kindle users, gamer playing? If Apple were to ship a small iPad it may not get the iPad moniker to keep the confusion down.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    steedeel wrote: »
    <p> Guys, forgive me if i do not make sense.  I am brand new to the forums and pretty much to the world of Apple also.
    Welcome to the forums!
     I own an Ipod Touch but plan on buying an Ipad, Imac and Apple tv sometime this year.  </p><p>  </p><p> My question is, what is the actual viewable area of a movie on Ipad when taking into consideration the black bars?</p>
    I hate to say this but it depends. Movies have all sorts of aspect ratios, and then some of the transfers to digital screws those aspect ratios up even more. So the simple answer is the black bars vary with the movie being viewed.
    <p>  </p><p> Also, if Ipad Mini is supposedly 7.85, wouldn't that make it useless as a movie watching device?
    It is no more useless than watching a movie on an iPhone. I actually see this as a foolish question as you never get a movie theater experience in a portable device no matter it's size.
     7 inch screen with borders top and bottom would be awful, yes?  </p>
    If you get a white iPad most likely yes. But otherwise no.

What you might run into is an issue with the up conversion of a movie if the screen resolution is too high. I have an iPad 3 and can say for the most part the screen is an excellent movie play back device. The only trouble you run into is some really bad transfers seem to look worst on a high resolution screen.

<p>  </p><p> If anyone could send pics of their ipad playing a wide screen movie, at 2:35, that would be great.  I am a huge movie fan and already have a bluray player and large tv.  This is obviously for other use such as vocations etc..  </p>
    It wouldn't be that great because a static picture won't involve you in a movie the way a actual movie should. If you are actually watching a movie instead of obsessing about every little technical detail it really doesn't make much difference which screen you view it on.

I don't know where you fall on the scale, but I'm not certain how some people can even enjoy the movies they watch. The obsess over technical details instead of enjoying the telling of the tale.
  • Reply 127 of 129

Tony, i may go that route.  My only concern is that the Ipad Mini would prove to be so popular that the bigger Ipad is taken off the market.  Is that likely? 

• Reply 128 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It wouldn't be that great because a static picture won't involve you in a movie the way a actual movie should. If you are actually watching a movie instead of obsessing about every little technical detail it really doesn't make much difference which screen you view it on.

I don't know where you fall on the scale, but I'm not certain how some people can even enjoy the movies they watch. The obsess over technical details instead of enjoying the telling of the tale.

Hi Wizard69, i am a huge film buff with over 700 blurays to my name.  I own a 50 inch HDTV full 1080p resolution.  I am completely covered in the home cinema scene.  My issue is being able to watch a movie in bed, on vacation or on a coach trip etc..  I can't watch a film on a phone, it is just too small.  I have tried.  However, when using a portable dvd player several years ago i could sort of enjoy movies that were character driven and dramas.  (SFX blockbusters not so much).  The portable player was 8 inches which i believe is the same size as the ipad from corner to corner (excluding black bars).  My point was the mini (if real) would be more phone size and therefore no good for me.    

• Reply 129 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steedeel View Post

Tony, i may go that route.  My only concern is that the Ipad Mini would prove to be so popular that the bigger Ipad is taken off the market.  Is that likely? 

Don't worry. It's not actually going to be made, so there's no danger of the real iPad being discontinued.