Galaxy S4 tops sales at Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile stores; Apple's iPhone 5 leads at AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While Samsung's latest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4, unsurprisingly took the top spot at three of the four major U.S. carriers' stores in the month of May, Apple's eight-month-old iPhone 5 still remained the most popular smartphone at AT&T retail.

AT&T

The latest carrier retail sales data collected from wireless store surveys by Canaccord Genuity shows that the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the best selling handset at Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile locations in May. At all three carrier stores, Apple's iPhone 5 came in second place.

The figures do not include sales of iPhones from Apple's own retail stores, and only represent direct carrier sales of handsets.

In April, when the Galaxy S4 saw limited availability, the iPhone 5 was the top selling smartphone at all four major U.S. carrier stores. But as shipments of the Galaxy S4 began to increase, Samsung's latest Android handset took over in May ? but not at AT&T.

For years, the iPhone remained exclusively available on AT&T in the U.S., and customers on that carrier have shown a significant loyalty to Apple. That was evident once again in May, when the iPhone 5 outsold the Galaxy S4.

Coming in third in May at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile was the HTC One. But Nokia's Lumia 928 found a spot in third place at Verizon, the only carrier where the Finnish handset maker cracked the top three.

The popularity of the HTC One and Nokia Lumia 928 pushed out the Galaxy Note II, which had previously been the third-best-selling handset at most U.S. carriers over the last four months.

The strength of the Galaxy S4 in May made Samsung the top smartphone vendor in the U.S. for the month, according to Canaccord Genuity. That pushed Apple to second place, while HTC finished in third and Nokia took fourth.

Interpreting the survey data, analyst T. Michael Walkley said the Galaxy S4 was helped by Samsung's strong "Galaxy" consumer brand, as well as a major marketing effort from the South Korean company.

Walkley noted the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, Apple's legacy models, remain in strong demand at major carriers, despite not cracking the top three handsets sold at Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile. Based on the popularity of those previous-generation handsets, Walkley believes Apple will introduce a new lower-priced iPhone model later this year, as recent rumors have suggested the company may do.

Finally, Walkley said despite strong reviews for HTC's new flagship One smartphone, he's not sure the company has the "brand, distribution and marketing budget" to compete with Samsung and Apple ? the two dominant players in the smartphone market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member

Cardinal numbers numbers would have been better than merely ordinal.....

• Reply 2 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Based on the popularity of those previous-generation handsets, Walkley believes Apple will introduce a new lower-priced iPhone model later this year, as recent rumors have suggested the company may do.

WTF????  How is this jump made???  So because one strategy is proving very popular and cost efficient for Apple they will most likely adopt a completely different strategy going forward? 

• Reply 3 of 96
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Of course, this data does not include any units sold at the Apple online or retail stores.

I find the web usage uptake of Mobile web page views much more interesting comparing the first 40 days of each the iPhone 5 and the combined weight of the HTC One and Galaxy S4.

http://pic.twitter.com/7ISQqxvkPa

If people are buying these two Android phones, they really aren't using them to surf much and that surprises me since I would expect surfing would be a prime use given their larger screens.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The figures do not include sales of iPhones from Apple's own retail stores, and only represent direct carrier sales of handsets.

So that makes this article what? Standard fair click bait, that's what.

• Reply 5 of 96
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

WTF????  How is this jump made???  So because one strategy is proving very popular and cost efficient for Apple they will most likely adopt a completely different strategy going forward? 

Well, given they can't sell the 4 in the US soon, they won't have much choice.  Anecdotal only, but as a far too frequent traveler, I am seeing way more Galaxy phones recently, but iPhone's remain dominant.  I will say I see more people on planes watching movies and playing games on the Galaxy's vs IPs, but of course the latter typically whip out a tablet.

• Reply 6 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Of course, this data does not include any units sold at the Apple online or retail stores.

Personally I have purchased several iPhones and cellular iPads and not one was purchased from the carrier.

Similarly it probably doesn't include all of the Galaxy Phones purchased at Best Buy, etc.

• Reply 7 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

How would an ornithological numbering system be better?¡
  • Reply 8 of 96
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member

I think a lot of people also buy from retail stores and Amazon as well since they often offer better prices and also other perks that carrier stores don't offer. You can get the S4 at Wal Mart for example for $80. If this data doesn't include all sales channels it could be very misleading for sure. 

• Reply 9 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple stores not included. That says a lot about the "accuracy" of the report.

Through my retail* checks, Amazon sold 0 kindles; Sammy sold 0 galaxies; and Apple has 100% market share.

*Note: only Apple stores were checked.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Nice going, Apple. You really screwed your own pooch. Samsung is probably offering spiffs to all the salespeople to push the Galaxy S4 and thereby cementing Samsung's market share lead. Meanwhile, Tim Cook sits back and looks out the window of his office trying to pick out recognizable shapes in the clouds. If consumers can really get an S4 from WalMart for $80, I don't know how people could refuse that sort of bargain for a high-end smartphone. Samsung is making all the right moves to grab market share, most likely at the expense of profit margins. I don't think Samsung really cares because I would assume they want as many of their smartphones in consumers' hands as possible to get the most possible news media mindshare.

I'm only partially joking because I know Apple is going to come back strong. I'm sure there are lot of loyal Apple customers waiting for the next latest and greatest iPhone. It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pl
    Nice going, Apple. You really screwed your own pooch. Samsung is probably offering spiffs to all the salespeople to push the Galaxy S4 and thereby cementing Samsung's market share lead. Meanwhile, Tim Cook sits back and looks out the window of his office trying to pick out recognizable shapes in the clouds. If consumers can really get an S4 from WalMart for $80, I don't know how people could refuse that sort of bargain for a high-end smartphone. Samsung is making all the right moves to grab market share, most likely at the expense of profit margins. I don't think Samsung really cares because I would assume they want as many of their smartphones in consumers' hands as possible to get the most possible news media mindshare.

I'm only partially joking because I know Apple is going to come back strong. I'm sure there are lot of loyal Apple customers waiting for the next latest and greatest iPhone. It just pisses me off that Samsung is pounding Apple to death with high sales numbers.

Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    solipsismx wrote: »

That pun doesn't fly. You should've tweeted it.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...just curious when these mobile carriers released sales figures. I don't remember seeing it. In fact I don't remember them releasing sales figures for anything other than iPhone. :\
  • Reply 14 of 96
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Personally, I prefer the aboriginal numbering system: few and many...
  • Reply 15 of 96
    jungmark wrote: »
    Pl
    Plus the analyst didn't count Apple stores. I bet a large number of iPhones are sold there regardless of carrier.

They also didnt count electronic stores. But that wasn't the point. However you count, Samsung is doing well with their Galaxy line. Nothing wrong with that because Apple is also doing quite well. Apple doesn't need all companies to die for it to succeed.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Personally, I prefer the aboriginal numbering system: few and many...
    Isn't it one, two, few and many?
  • Reply 17 of 96
    drwamdrwam Posts: 38member
    What we really want to see are figures on new handsets activated.
    We would also like to see at least a link to the actual report.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

That pun doesn't fly. You should've tweeted it.

That "Bird on the Wing" thing
       is just some more of Browning's clowning.
    Contrary, to what you heard --
       The Wing is really on the Bird!

...ugh
  • Reply 19 of 96
    I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so. It gives me no pleasure to tell everyone that Apple has lost its edge with the iPhone. I think the iPhone is a solid phone, polished, and intuitive. Where it loses the edge is on technology. Kids love Tech, I'm a big kid and I like Tech. The big screen is really what sold me, but this Near Field Technology is very cool, so is haptic response and Air View where you hove your finger over the screen for previews. I'm not a fan of the eye scroll thingy but my wife likes it.

I've had the S4 just two days now and I miss a few things on the iPhone like the logical placement of apps and the folders. However, the S4 has just way to many cool features and a beautiful big screen for watching videos and viewing pictures.

Come on Apple dont let this lousy Korean company take the market away from you.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by main1event View Post

I'm a long time Apple guy going back to 1979 or so.

Yawn.