Kazaa for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
why isn't there a good kazaa for mac?

i am thinking of making one (or trying with my minimal knowledge)

i was wondering if you think the makers of kazaa-lite would help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Because Kazaa makes it's money on Back End deals and the Mac Market is too small. No Spyware = no Kazaa
  • Reply 2 of 72
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    hmurchison is spot-on.

Without the adware and spyware, there is zero incentive to develop a Mac version. What's worse is that KaZaA encrypts the server-side connection so that third-party clients are nearly impossible to create. There have been no full third-party clients made to date.

KaZaA Lite is nothing more than a hacked version of KaZaA. No Mac KaZaA means no Mac KaZaA Lite.

For what it's worth, I do not consider Neo to be a reasonable KaZaA client.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, what is Kazaa Lite then? Did they just take Kazaa and figure out how to remove the ads and spyware? I'd imagine that if they built the client from the ground up, they would be able to make a Mac version, but maybe they just modified the standard version so they can't make a Mac version.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    See my post again.

You must have been typing yours while I was editing mine.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, that's what happened.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    lol yeah.... DC is better than any of those other Gnet clients anyway.... John Hess, its creator hasnt updated the site since February 10th though... He *claims* to be working on the Windoze version of DC to catch it up to the OS X one......... Oh well.. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

lol yeah.... DC is better than any of those other Gnet clients anyway.... John Hess, its creator hasnt updated the site since February 10th though... He *claims* to be working on the Windoze version of DC to catch it up to the OS X one......... Oh well.. Only time will tell.

He 'claimed' to be working on a mac/linux/maybe even BeOS client last year. It was supposed to be 'out soon'. Of course it came out around November 2002 ... his announcement of it coming out 'soon' happen in March 2002. He doesn't have a track record for delivering 'on time' so to speak.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

He 'claimed' to be working on a mac/linux/maybe even BeOS client last year. It was supposed to be 'out soon'. Of course it came out around November 2002 ... his announcement of it coming out 'soon' happen in March 2002. He doesn't have a track record for delivering 'on time' so to speak.

Heheh. Yeah. It took him long enough to release the OS X client... Watch it take like 3 years till he releases the Linux one....

But until the 'official' Linux client gets released the third party DC-GUI seems pretty decent... at least to me....
  • Reply 9 of 72
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

why isn't there a good kazaa for mac?

i am thinking of making one (or trying with my minimal knowledge)

i was wondering if you think the makers of kazaa-lite would help

Check out NEO. I love it. Works great.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mthole/neo/

Good Luck.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Neo sucks. To me it's just like all those Gneutella programs... It's just as bad if not worse. Don't anyone use it. It's crap.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:

Neo sucks. To me it's just like all those Gneutella programs... It's just as bad if not worse. Don't anyone use it. It's crap.

NEO works good. It is not a total solution. I agree. It does not suck. It is as good as Gneutella and it is as bad. It can't hurt to try it.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    I have tried it and I hate it.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

I have tried it and I hate it.

hate what, large selection of music, movies, and software (PC only mostly) or the fast downloads?
  • Reply 14 of 72
    I just don't like KaZaA that's all....
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:

I just don't like KaZaA that's all....

thats fine...u mean the setup or what, i am just curious not trying to be an ass (anymore )
  • Reply 16 of 72
    I'm guessing it has to do with the unreliable speeds, unreliable file integrity, and unreliable quality of said files. In all three of these areas, my experience with Kazaa has been spotty at best.

And then there's that god-awful interface.

Of course, the same of the first three can be said of the other services such as Gnutella or OpenNap at times.

Oh, and did I mention all the Spyware and Adware that's bundled with Kazaa?
  • Reply 17 of 72
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm guessing it has to do with the unreliable speeds, unreliable file integrity, and unreliable quality of said files. In all three of these areas, my experience with Kazaa has been spotty at best.

Of course, the same of the first three can be said of the other services such as Gnutella or OpenNap at times.

Brad are you saying you condone downloading mp3's, software and movies off these networks? now now....not setting a good example for those kids out there now are you....

Frank_t
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:

What Spyware/Adware software is included with the Mac OS X version (NEO)?
  • Reply 19 of 72
    i havn't tried neo, but when i say kazaa i mean kazaa-lite

as for unreliable speeds, well that has never been a problem for me, though i tend to download the version that the most people have so tht if one person signs off the other people can finish it for me (plus it tends to be the real song more often)

and file integrity...you mean what it being the real file? i think this is a problem with every file sharing service, i don't get it very often, but i do think that its more prevalent with movies
  • Reply 20 of 72
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Well, I'll have to agree with frank_t and say that this is a thoroughly shocking revelation. Brad has used p2p for illegal downloads?!