Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Didn't you know...

• Reply 22 of 72
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Well, I'll have to agree with frank_t and say that this is a thoroughly shocking revelation. Brad has used p2p for illegal downloads?!

although i bet he does, P2P doesn't mean illegal files necessarily, alot of the 'hippy' band i listen to dont mind their music being shared, and it on there with the illegal music pop music
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

What Spyware/Adware software is included with the Mac OS X version (NEO)?

There is none. I've heard that it's impossible to make spyware/adware that'll work on ANY Mac platform. And who wants that? Who wants spyware? It sucks.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

There is none. I've heard that it's impossible to make spyware/adware that'll work on ANY Mac platform. And who wants that? Who wants spyware? It sucks.

i find it hard to believe it is impossible...maybe just less likely
  • Reply 25 of 72
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Of course no one wants Spyware except for the spyware companies. As I have mentioend before, if there is a spyware/adware for Mac - it will be both good and bad. Bad in the sense that spy/adware is now on our platform. Good in the sense that the Apple market is no longer being ignored and advertisers/marketers want this segment!
  • Reply 26 of 72
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    It probably is very difficult to get spyware on a Mac, though not impossible. You'd probably need access to /System for spyware to do anything, which would require an admin password, thus creating it very hard for spyware to get on your computer (unlike in windows, one click and it is installed). Probably the equivalent of writing a virus for the Mac.

Then again it isn't that difficult to write a program that deletes ~/, even one of Apple's software accidentally did that.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

What Spyware/Adware software is included with the Mac OS X version (NEO)?

Neo is not a Mac OS X version of Kazaa. Therefore, it does not have all the spyware that Kazaa has. In the post that you quoted, I ws referring to the Windows version of Kazaa.

From Neo's home page, emphasis mine:
    Quote:

Neo is not a real Kazaa client, and never will be; the company in charge of the FastTrack (Kazaa) network won't allow third parties access to their encrypted protocol.

What *does* it do then?

Quote:

Neo uses a brute-force method to find Kazaa hosts. Given a user-defined IP address range, Neo will scan that portion of the Internet, looking for computers that respond on Kazaa's port. These IP ranges can become very large, and therefore take a considerable amount of time to scan. A range of 65,025 computer, such as 128.211.xx.xx currently takes about an hour or two. When a Kazaa host is found, Neo gets a list of all the shared files and their filesizes. Neo then writes this information to disk, and it is the content that Neo actually searches through. It is neccessary to scan and index hosts before you can search and download files with Neo.

That is why I cannot consider Neo a Kazaa client. In fact, flooding the network with scans like this is considered EXTREMELY bad etiquette and in some cases may even get you a letter from you ISP.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Didn't you know...

• Reply 29 of 72
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    *bump* No doubt you will all be pleased to know that the developer of Acquisition has a new program in development named Liberty that will bring the FastTrack (Kazaa) protocol to Mac OS X.

More info.

WM
  • Reply 30 of 72
    It looks like another Acquisition clone to me... I'll try it but it's not gonna be like the KaZaA for Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

It looks like another Acquisition clone to me... I'll try it but it's not gonna be like the KaZaA for Windows.

It is a clone of sorts... It's by the same guy, Dave Watanabe who wrote Acquisition (Porfiry in the forums I linked to).

WM
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Yeah. Dave Wannabe. A wannabe programmer!

j/k I bet his new FT app is gonna be good.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Kazaa has the best speed and selection but the Mac clients suck. They say on the Kazaa website you can order a Mac kazaa however. Oh well.

I want a good SoulseekX client. My college caps everything else even eDonkey. I wonder if I get back if they'll have BitTorrent capped, since it has a lot of legit use. Does SpeedDownload work with BitTorrent? That would be fassssssst. Not that anything of this matters to me now back with a modem. I bet it will be all straightened out this Fall.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

...That is why I cannot consider Neo a Kazaa client. In fact, flooding the network with scans like this is considered EXTREMELY bad etiquette and in some cases may even get you a letter from you ISP.

Yeah, my friend got an angry email from our college ITS department because some guy was threatening something or another because an IP from our school was portscanning his computer. Neo isn't worth the two megs it takes up on your computer.

Back on topic, what's BitTorrent? I just downloaded it, but how do I find these .torrent files? Is there a webpage that lists them, or how does it work?
  • Reply 35 of 72
    I too just downloaded bitTorrent. It seems to work nicely, you just have to have patience for the speed to ramp up. As far as finding files-as with everything else-use google. Just type in whatever you're looking for and .torrent in google and you should get a few hits. As far as getting the torrents to work, don't treat them as hyperlinks, control-click the link and choose 'copy link to clipboard' then past it into the open URL field in BitTorrent.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Question for a friendly mod: Is it a no-no to post a link to mac torrent site seeing as it could be used for shady doings?
  • Reply 37 of 72
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I believe MLDonkey supports the FastTrak protocol (kazaa), works decently, but I still find direct connect superior.

MLDonkey: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...771&vid=105328
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Question for a friendly mod: Is it a no-no to post a link to mac torrent site seeing as it could be used for shady doings?

I'm hardly a mod but if the site contains pirated software or links in this case I would not recommend it.

WM
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

I'm hardly a mod but if the site contains pirated software or links in this case I would not recommend it.

WM

i would, but secretly of course and only so he would get in trouble and not me, then again i'm that type of person ; )

this looks awesome, are any of you trying to think of an icon for the contest?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Whatever you do.. don't exchange that type of information in a PM. I did that and I was nearly banned from here.