XBox or Playstation?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I want to play Max Payne 2 and don't want to wait for a Mac version in 7 or 8 years so I have to get a console. I had a playstation a for most of 2002 and ended up giving it away along with all of the games. I know very little about the xbox, but I've read that the graphics, particularly in max payne, are better than the playstation. This is important since I use a projector. However, I've also heard that the controllers are clunky.

So what do you guys think about them?

Edit: here's the camparison in graphics for max payne 2.

PS2:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ayne_2_ps2.jpg

XBox:

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayn...box_s3_640.jpg

PC:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...payne_2_pc.jpg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    XBox all the way. I have both. The graphics quality of the XBox is completely superior to the PS2. Also, pick up Project Gotham racing 2 if you are into racing games, and Halo2 when it comes out. Splinter cell for XBox is much better than Splinter cell for the PS2. I am sure that you can pick up a copy of Halo for cheap and I reccommend this as it is arguably one of the most fun FPS games ever created.

The most compelling reason for a PS2 is to get the Final Fantasy series of games. Otherwise, the XBox is just plain better. (PS2 used ot also have Dance Dance Revolution, but DDR is now out for XBox as well).

Feel free to ask any other questions.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I have both a Xbox and a GameCube, but I am going to go out and buy a PS2 later this week. The graphics are much better on the Xbox then PS2, but graphics do not make the game. One of my favorite games ever is Hot Shot Golf 3, the graphics look like shit, but it is so much fun to play, especially with a bunch of friends. If you are planning on gaming with the system online, I would say get the PS2. You don't have to sign up for service and the gaming is free.

Biggest knock I can see for the PS2 is the load times. It's terrible when you want to just play the damned game, but you have to wait a minute for the level to load.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I have both a Xbox and a GameCube, but I am going to go out and buy a PS2 later this week. The graphics are much better on the Xbox then PS2, but graphics do not make the game. One of my favorite games ever is Hot Shot Golf 3, the graphics look like shit, but it is so much fun to play, especially with a bunch of friends. If you are planning on gaming with the system online, I would say get the PS2. You don't have to sign up for service and the gaming is free.

Biggest knock I can see for the PS2 is the load times. It's terrible when you want to just play the damned game, but you have to wait a minute for the level to load.

True, true. If there are particular games that you want to play, then this will determine the console you buy.

Both systems will have good multiplayer games, although I will say hands down that 16 player Halo over 4 linked Xboxes is unbeatable. I regularly have XBox days at my appartment and we go at it all day. Kind of like a low maintenance LAN party. With 55 inch monitors and comfy couches

I would totally disagree about your comments on the online service. XBox offers standard voice communication as an integrated feature in its games for free, consistent user ID, online friends lists, downloadable content, more online games, etc. Paying $50 for the live kit is really not that expensive, and once you are in, you don't pay on a per game basis. The flat upfront fee is actually really good and convenient. Of course, you have to have DSL or something of that speed to do XBox live, no 56k.

Other reasons why the XBox is better are its great HDTV support, Dolby 5.1, a better DVD player, storing MP3's on the HD and using them for in game music. Having your own music for racing games is actually quite a nice feature.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Xbox.

NHL 2K4.

Oh yeah.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    canadians and hockey...

sheesh
  • Reply 6 of 84
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yeah, Hot shots 3 is sweet.....
  • Reply 7 of 84
    I said it before, I will say it again. Halo 2. Only 3 months away. I will take a sick day or two off of work when it comes out. Must play more Halo. I preordered my copy of Halo 2 13 months ago!

THough honestly, project gotham 2 is just plain incredible. Graphically one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

canadians and hockey...

sheesh

Americans and first person shooters...
  • Reply 9 of 84
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    So the controllers on the xbox are good?
  • Reply 10 of 84
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The original ones were very big and cumbersome - the new generation controllers are great.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Now they ditched the gaijin controllers, yeah.

And what the heck *IS* it with gaming anyway? I've never gotten into it, on any platform.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

The original ones were very big and cumbersome - the new generation controllers are great.

That would explain it then.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    The next question is whether it's possible to get a nice vga connection to the projector without it being all fuzzy like composite.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    How can you store MP3 on the Xbox ?

Does it Automatically convert to Mp3 from your imported CD's ?

I have an Xbox and I tried to import songs from a Mp3 CD and in doesn't work.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    In my opinion the GameCube is the best console currently available, especially considering the price ($99, vs. $180 for the others). Sure, it doesn't come with a game or memory card, but memory cards are cheap, games are fairly cheap, and the games that come with the XBox and PS2 are crappy anyway. I have a number of games for my GameCube and they are mostly very good, with very good, smooth graphics that almost never slow down. My brother's XBox slows down more than the GameCube, and the graphics don't look as good - I think ATI's graphics are antialiased better than nVidia's.

But if you're dying to play Max Payne 2, get the XBox instead of the PS2. XBox's controller is better, the graphics are better and faster, and although it's expensive, you also get a large hard drive for saving games, so you don't have to spend any extra money on a memory card. Plus it can have four controllers for multiplayer games. Also, the GameCube is fun but I don't know of many good first person shooters for it. Metroid Prime doesn't count in my opinion because it's more of a strategy/adventure game like Zelda. Halo, on the other hand, is a kickass FPS, with lots of action and multiplayer capability. Very fun.

By the way, the XBox can only import music from standard audio CDs. It can't just move pre-imported MP3 CDs over, and it doesn't work with CD-Rs. However, it does work with CD-RWs (there must have been some sort of oversight at MS), so if you want to move your music over, just burn an audio CD to a CD-RW and have it import and copy the music over. Then you can erase the CD-RW, burn another audio CD to it, etc. It keeps track of which songs were imported from each CD, so put related songs together otherwise it'll be a nightmare organizing it all. Also keep in mind that it takes a LONG time to import all the music.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I think the console you get should depend primarily on the games that you want to play. What genres do you like?

I like small genre games with deep gameplay, lots of challenge and originality. (as in, Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec) For some reason most of the games that fit this description seem to be Japanese and come out on PS2. Therefore I bought a PS2, a Logitech wheel and the aforementioned games some time ago. Couldn't be happier. I am considering a dual arcade stick to complement VF4E and (maybe in the future) Soul Calibur 2.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    isn't xbox going to move away from cd/dvd media on their next gen player? i heard they were moving in a proprietary direction because of all the hacks.

anyway my 5 year old just discovered my superNES in a closet and i hooked it up and relived some old memories. (he's getting good at mario 2 & 3) but it got me thinking which of the three has the best games for 5-6 year olds? i'm going to assume PS2, am i right?
  • Reply 18 of 84
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Game Cube has supermonkey ball and sonic along with mario and others... it is IMHO by far the best system for the younger crowd... but I love the games too!!
  • Reply 19 of 84
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Probably GameCube actually. The controllers are very comfortable and there are lots of games with Mario and friends. Nintendo has historically been "kid-oriented."

Actually, I bet an N64 would be a fine system for a little kid.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    PS2 gamecube is dying. they lowered prices to 99 dollars, and had to stop production for a while because the 3000 they made didn't sell... xbox, microsoft .

Last reason? I gotz no monies after I bought this powerbook and all