Official Q1 Financial Results Discussion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From TheStreet.com:

Quote:

Prudential analyst Steve Fortuna believes Apple could surpass analysts' expectations next Wednesday because he said holiday demand for its iPod and iBook products was very strong over December. "As a result of strong consumer demand trends, we believe Apple could post modest upside to our $1.89 billion revenue estimate," he said, adding that the chances for an upside earnings surprise are even greater. Apple is expected to post a 14-cent profit in its fiscal first quarter.

iBook sales Up!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think they'll easily beat earnings estimates... which haven't been revised even after the iPod sales announcement... consensus if for 14 cents EPS on revenues of ~1.91 billion I think.

I'm expecting something more along the lines of $2.05-$2.1 billion, depending on iMac and PB sales. Software (Panther), iPods, iBooks and Powermacs should have very solid numbers.

Hey MacsRGood4U... if you can change the thread title, can you make this the official Q1 Financial Results/Discussion thread? We need one of these about now.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    what does this mean for Apple's (rising) stock?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

what does this mean for Apple's (rising) stock?

It means it's going to fall, of course. The market's dumb when it comes to AAPL.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Mod. Please change title as suggested by MCQ.. Thanks.

[Done. -Amorph]
  • Reply 5 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I was just poking around and did some math to come up with the following. This is the percent of Apple's total revenue (not profit, but still informative) from different products in the previous quarter:

iPod = 7%

iMac/eMac = 16%

iBook = 9%

PowerMac = 24%

PowerBook = 20%

(the rest comes from software and peripherals and everything else)

I don't see increased iPod sales really doing that much for their revenues. PowerMacs and PowerBooks on the other hand...
  • Reply 6 of 66
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I think the PowerMac sales will really pick up after the Rev. B update. In regard to the Q1 results, I think the iPods will have a nice impact on the bottom line.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I don't see increased iPod sales really doing that much for their revenues. PowerMacs and PowerBooks on the other hand...

($ in millions)

the better iPod sales will increase iPod revenues from $121 to $250. software sales will be higher at around $230. peripherals & other hardware will be slightly lower at $190. this alone will be $670.

i expect iMac sales to be slightly up from $279 to $300 and PowerMac sales from $419 to $570. iBook sales are also up from $154 to $190 and at least the PowerBooks will be up from $348 to $370.

this will result in a total of $2.1B in revenues (compared to Q4'03: $1.7B). i bet on $.19 per share.

• Reply 8 of 66
    On a related note, I personally got an iBook for Christmas.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Congrats on your iBook Ganondorf. Now we just need Jack over at ATAT to put up the bloody results contest already and we will be good to go.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Apple stock price continues to rise (over $24 nearing the 12 month high of $25), even after Macworld. Two brokerage firms have upgraded the stock and tomorrow (1/14) should bring some great earnings news.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple stock price continues to rise (over $24 nearing the 12 month high of $25), even after Macworld. Two brokerage firms have upgraded the stock and tomorrow (1/14) should bring some great earnings news.

Followed by a commensurate drop in stock price. Investors are funny about AAPL.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Congrats on your iBook Ganondorf. Now we just need Jack over at ATAT to put up the bloody results contest already and we will be good to go.

http://www.appleturns.com/bta/

its up
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Ok, I have my guess in, do you?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Street estimate of .14 per share. I'll guess .16. No matter, I don't get dividends from my holdings.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    as a recent buyer of apple stock, i really looking forward to these results and the rest of the year.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

as a recent buyer of apple stock, i really looking forward to these results and the rest of the year.

... when did you buy (at what price). and what do you expect?
  • Reply 17 of 66
    i think it was at 22.25 or so when i bought--i expect it to hit at least 30. think about all the good things going on at apple, especially with the minipods. i wont be selling anytime soon. apple's the best kept secret on the market. (just think how high it'll get when the g5 numbers are higher than intel's )
  • Reply 18 of 66
    According to a CNBC report the iPod will be a 1 billion dollar business for Apple by 2005. (HP obviously contributing to that figure immensely). Also, the HP contract gives them exclusivity on the iPod re-branding. No other computer maker can buy iPods from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Also, the HP contract gives them exclusivity on the iPod re-branding. No other computer maker can buy iPods from Apple.

I don't think that's right.

Quote:

Schiller would not say whether Apple may look to craft similar deals with other computer or electronics makers. While that part of the deal is not exclusive, Schiller said HP's promotion of the iTunes Music Store through its PCs is a "multiyear, exclusive" deal.

(from News.com, emphasis mine)

The way I read that is that Apple can get other resellers of iPods but HP cannot link to other music stores. I guess we'll find out more details later today.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Yah, there seems to be different reports on which part of the deal is exclusive. If Phil Schiller says the iPod is not I'd believe him of course.