AppleInsider Credits System.

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Now, listen to this ZANY idea:

When a person signs up they get 100 AI Credits, and when they got to a speculation thread, or something of that sort, they can put their AI Credits where their mouths is. They can plop their opinions on a rumor, true or false, and then they get CREDITS of those who opposed their opinions.... so, it would be for every post people could bet on

So, we can see someone with a lot of Credits is a smart chap.

Of course, there are ways to get more, annually, you can get 10. OR, let's say, you can be given more by moderators.

THIS is Zany idea... no? Incredibly ZANY, right?

Of course, I have no idea how it could implemented, absolutely no idea... whatsoever... none...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I'm all for it but is sounds like a lot of work to setup.

How would we go about doing something like this?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I don't know about vb, but there's already a mod like this somewhere at www.phpbbhacks.com for phpBB
  • Reply 3 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

I don't know about vb, but there's already a mod like this somewhere at www.phpbbhacks.com for phpBB

What would one search for?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I don't quite get it. If someone says something stupid on here, people are pretty quick to let him know that he is dumb. I don't think it's needed. Most people here are smart enough to keep their mouths shut when they don't know what they are talking about. Seems overly complicated to me.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    But then Jon really could give us cookies
  • Reply 6 of 44
    are you thinking about some kind of member rating systems or eBay feedback scores?

how about paypal?

be nice and help people = make $$
  • Reply 7 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I say bet your post counts. I know people who would give away one day of their lifes for each extra post. Instant elite for three years of their lifes is a small price for some.

And this way we also creates a marked. You have to have buyers for your bet. If I said "New Powermacs in 2004" I would have to bet 100 post for each post i could caary home if I won the "bet". But if I say Motorola chips in high end powermacs this year the situation would be reverse.

But to be realistic I don´t think that kind of rating system will be the first thing to be implemented on the boards...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hey that was my idea

Yeah, now who is going to be the bookie? We'll have to set the odds... whoever does that is bound to have personal bias. Maybe it should be a committee.

I say the odds are 5 to 1 that iMac G5 will come before the PB G5.

heheh
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I WOULD take your bet... but we don't have a system

OH NO!

See? A perfect scenario that would destroy innocent lives, this is why we need an AI Credit system NOW
  • Reply 10 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Hey that was my idea

Yeah, now who is going to be the bookie? We'll have to set the odds... whoever does that is bound to have personal bias. Maybe it should be a committee.

The marked could take care of that.

Here is the system:

We all start out with 1000 AIPs that you can bet.

First you make an offer with a time limit and possible how many points you are betting. The sentence should be:

"I offer a bet. iMac G5s will come before the PB G5. 5 to 1. Valid to 1st february 2004. Max 200 AIPs"

Then somone have to accept it before the time limit. It has to be in this form

(first a quote of the bet offer)

"I accept this bet. Betting 50 AIPs. Valid to 10th februrary 2004."

And then the first person have to accept it before the time limit. And then it is official. More persons could take the original offer (like two betting 50 AIPs against the first person)

Anything I haven´t thought about?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Brad's kickback?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I'd much rather have a "usefulness" points system like at apple's discussion boards....
  • Reply 13 of 44
    a futures market on predictions might require knowledge of past "usefulness" of posts, agreed.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, a good idea, but what about those of us who never post anything useful?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Hmm, a good idea, but what about those of us who never post anything useful?

you just keep your CREDITS

GET THESE ****ING BANNERS OUT OF HERE!
  • Reply 16 of 44
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if so i want a system that subtracts 10 points for each smokey smiley.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Then Nebagakid would post the shirt off his back.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

if so i want a system that subtracts 10 points for each smokey smiley.

I want a system that somehow kicks Nebagakid in the junk for each smokey smiley he posts. It's not a problem for anyone else, they use them in small doses and when it's appropriate!!!
  • Reply 19 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Correct use:

"I'm gonna get me some fun tonight!"

Incorrect use:

"The pink iPod mini is MY favorite."

• Reply 20 of 44
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Also who assesses the winner, and when? What if I say "100 's that the iMac will get a G5", and don't say when? What if I say "100 's says that the iMac has a fan"? I think there is a rumor site that lets you bet on rumors already. If smilies were the units, when you were in a screen you could see how many smilies you had available and when you ran out, no more smokey smilies! 8)