AppleInsider Credits System.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    I just can't stand it when he always ends his posts with those tripple smoking smilies. Somebody please make him stop!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Also who assesses the winner, and when? What if I say "100 's that the iMac will get a G5", and don't say when? What if I say "100 's says that the iMac has a fan"? I think there is a rumor site that lets you bet on rumors already. If smilies were the units, when you were in a screen you could see how many smilies you had available and when you ran out, no more smokey smilies! 8)

In my system you have to have a taker of the bet, so it will even itself out. noone will take a bet that doesn´t have some kind of end date.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Hmm, a good idea, but what about those of us who never post anything useful?

well, you would still get to award points to other people who posted something useful...

and not only would the poster who wrote the useful post get points... the actual POST would as well... this way you could weed out the useful posts from the crap...

kinda like slashdot with user ratings...
  • Reply 24 of 44
  • Reply 25 of 44
    A slashdot-like post system would be neat!

Currently slashcode is under GPL so someone has to be ripping-it-off/porting it to other internet related languages.

This would be great... but it may not work... but it would be great!
  • Reply 26 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Don't you all worry, i have a backup of the smokey smily, don't think I am so daft.

I think that considering the difficulty and lack of a plug-in for this great idea, it may never come to life. This saddens me, a great deal.

and if you are going to try to kick me in the genitals, I must warn you, I wear a steel/velvet codpiece, it would you more than it would tickle me. I am sorry for that above statement, it shall be STRICKEN from the record.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Nebagakid, you're an odd duck...and I don't mean that in a good way.

• Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Nebagakid, you're an odd duck...and I don't mean that in a good way.

People do find me odd. It is because I have poor social skills, and it does not help that I am sometimes a coward, and I hate confrontations. I go to movie's by myself, which some people find odd, but my brothers and father do it as well, so I don't find it odd at all. Some people would believe I have no positive input at all, and yeah if you are talking about polotiks or something of that nature, I won't be any good. YET, I can blast on and on about Macs, or about web design, or about computers, those skills I have. I hate change, can't stand it, yet I latch on to a hobby (Macs) that allows me to withstand dullness because they are ever changing and evolving. Yes, I am an odd duck:

What you may find most odd about me is that I have a pants schedule: Monday/Tuesday: Lightweight Khakis that have dirt stains and hole

Wendsday/Thursday: Brown pants I don't like.

Friday/Saturday: Corduroys that losing their bumps and a hole.

Sunday: Whatever, FREE DAY!

So, would you consider this the behavior of an odd duck?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ^

|

|

|

all of the above are just fine except for those ($*&@)#(^ smileys.

just cut back a few on those and you'll be fine.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    just out of curiosity... do you have " " in your clipboard or do you just hit the button a few times after every post?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    One of the boards I go to (Ambrosia Software) has a "Karma" system. If you're helpful (or just a kiss ass), mods can give you positive Karma. If you're an ass, they can subtract Karma. Karma can be regained over time as long as you don't continue to be an ass. If your Karma hits -10, your posting privileges are suspended for a while. It's an okay system except some of the mods get a bit power-trippy. Of course, if you say that there, they'll go nuts on you.

Perhaps we can dock one Karma for each inappropriate smokey at the end of Nebagakid's posts? That would be fair, I think
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

If your Karma hits -10, your posting privileges are suspended for a while. It's an okay system except some of the mods get a bit power-trippy. Of course, if you say that there, they'll go nuts on you.

All sound like good reasons NOT to have that here.

(That makes no comment on the attitudes or ideals of *our* admins and mods)
  • Reply 33 of 44
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member

And CosmoNut just got his privileges revoked
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

just out of curiosity... do you have " " in your clipboard or do you just hit the button a few times after every post?

Well, I hit it a few times, and i probably click 10 times, but it only captures 3 smokeys on average. If I want more, i have to invest time.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    what's with all these heads attacking Nebaga's smokeys? i think its wonderful, and make more efficient use of screen space. i'm scanning a thread, reading bits, and wondering "who wrote this?" i have to move my eyes all the way to the left, and read the name of the poster for most of you "people". sometimes i even have to scroll a little because the poster name is out of view. it's a big plastic hassle, particularly for people who i haven't figured out their style yet. with Nebagakid, i never have that problem. i see more than one smokey consecutively, then i know it's him. he's our insane elite. and yet, for some ungodly reason, he has told us not only what pants he's wearing, but that he revolves them on a schedule (brown today, i trust). i don't know which part i find more disturbing: that he has a schedule just for his pants, or that he felt it incumbent to tell us. bring on the smokeys.

as for a credit system, i don't like the /. one (well, only because i've been there like a month or something and dont' have any karma). i don't think a betting system will be easy to do. but a way of pushing "good" posters up, and "bad" posters down in some kind of point system would be kind of interesting.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Oh, really, do we need to resort to some crazy karma system? People already obsess enough about post counts.

We know who the good posters are.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Who was the guy who ALWAYS included a little avatar-type thing after his posts? He made them himself, and they always had his name, were about 30x60 pixels, and had something to do with the subject at hand (I remember one with the Apple logo and another with clouds). Those were always helpful for finding his posts.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    maybe the "bad" posters could have text that was really hard to read, like a color that would blend into the background..eh? That is a bad idea.

I went out of the norm today on my pants, I think I may have to buy new ones. I might also be making a spin-wheel for my pants, because it is something I cannot fight, the schedule. There is something that will always haunt me about it, and not in a good way. (<-- Clicked four times, for two?)
  • Reply 39 of 44
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

snip...

I went out of the norm today on my pants, I think I may have to buy new ones. I might also be making a spin-wheel for my pants, because it is something I cannot fight, the schedule. There is something that will always haunt me about it, and not in a good way. (<-- Clicked four times, for two?)

Nebagakid you crack me up sometimes... fight the pants schedule - if it doesn't kill you, it will just make you stronger!
  • Reply 40 of 44
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I have yet to see a single reason why this would be a compelling feature.

If people think ideas are good, they can say so. If they don't, they can say so, or vote with their feet.