Next PowerBook revision to have 2.0Ghz G4? AI BS

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What's this BS on the front page of AI about the next Powerbook having a G4 with a 2.0Ghz G4?

Quote:

A Macintosh version of the Mobility Radeon 9800 is widely rumored for inclusion in a forthcoming PowerBook revision, which sources say will most likely include "PowerPC G4 extended" microprocessors running at speeds of up to 2 GHz. The chips, from Motorola, have yet to be tagged with an official name, sources added.

I can believe the Mobility Radeon 9800, but a 2.0 Ghz G4? Where? I don't think Motorola can even pull off a 1.8Ghz G4. I can see a low-powered version of a 1.8Ghz G5 before Motorola ever gets a 1.8Ghz G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Think Freescale

2Ghz is on the menu.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Sounds like some more motorola fiction, they have been at 1.5 for over a year now i doubt the validity of moto making it to excuse me while i laugh 2.0 1.51 or perhaps 1.52 sounds more like the moto/freescale we have known and hated for stagnating year after stagnating year.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Think Freescale

2Ghz is on the menu.

I'll take either. I'd prefer the G5 though. Could they be intro'd at Mac Expo Paris on August 31st?
  • Reply 4 of 96
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    If the G5 is too hot, would anyone turn it down? Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see the in the iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'd take a 2Ghz G4 with an ondie memory controller in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 6 of 96
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

If the G5 is too hot, would anyone turn it down? Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see the in the iBook.

I think you're right...I think it will be interesting to see where Apple is in its product lineup by the end of June 2005. Will there be a mass exodus from the G4? I think so.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    fat freddyfat freddy Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

What's this BS on the front page of AI about the next Powerbook having a G4 with a 2.0Ghz G4?

I can believe the Mobility Radeon 9800, but a 2.0 Ghz G4? Where? I don't think Motorola can even pull off a 1.8Ghz G4. I can see a low-powered version of a 1.8Ghz G5 before Motorola ever gets a 1.8Ghz G4.

Dito Croquer, but they talk about a IBM G4
  • Reply 8 of 96
    How about a new laptop chip? Anyone? No G5 no G4, it can be done
  • Reply 9 of 96
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    It's a lot more likely that new G4 chips will be used in iBooks and eMacs. A 2GHz G4 makes sense in an eMac eventually.

The next PowerBooks will likely be G5 based. Unless IBM screws up and can't deliver decent yields on low power G5s.

Introducing new G4 PowerBooks in January would be a major marketing blunder. Consider how low key the last PowerBook update was. No big event whatsoever. Almost as if Apple was ashamed.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

More scalar FPU goodness would be nice.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I mentioned this back in February (post in about the middle of thread). Can't really recall where I got the info, though my hazy memory recalls I got it from a combination of a friend of mine (who knows enough to be dangerous, but isn't really privy to any NDA type info), combined with a Moto article I read at the time. Frankly, I believe this to be pretty reliable rumor, unless of course a major breakthrough is made with the G5 regarding its heat output.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    what happened to that IBM G5 Mobile article
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Why can't they just do this?

Desktops = G5

Portables = G4

Pro = Dual

Consumer = Single

This way a Pro desktop would have dual G5s while a consumer desktop would have a single G5 and a Pro portable would have a dual core G4 while a consumer portable would have a single G4. Since Freescale is working on 64 bit G4s anyway do we really need a G5 in a portable? It seems like a dual core G4 would kill a single G5 in a portable application. Sounds like getting a G5 into a portable is more trouble than its worth.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fat Freddy

Dito Croquer, but they talk about a IBM G4

They say a 12" PowerBook G5 prototype at 1.4 GHz only gets 55 minutes of battery life. Then a week later they say it has since been pushed to 105 minutes. So still less than two hours and that is with a pidly 1.4Ghz processor. It wouldn't surprise me at this point not that I believe Croquer actually has sources...
  • Reply 15 of 96
    drop the 12 inch, bring on a 13 in widescreen
  • Reply 16 of 96
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

I can believe the Mobility Radeon 9800

I can't. The card is huge. There's no way on earth they'd get it into a Powerbook form factor.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I second that! Seeing as the G4 has a stronger implementation of Altivec and is faster than the G5 clock-for-clock.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Why can't they just do this?

Desktops = G5

Portables = G4

This would not provide the benefits from having 64 bit across the entire product line (and in the OS)
  • Reply 19 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

I second that! Seeing as the G4 has a stronger implementation of Altivec and is faster than the G5 clock-for-clock.

AltiVec at the moment yes.

Clock for clock no.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It wouldn't surprise me at this point not that I believe Croquer actually has sources...

ACK

Croquer is IMO the french version of MOSR