Next PowerBook revision to have 2.0Ghz G4? AI BS

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

The 7447 low power @ 1.1V dissipates just 9.3W @ 1.2G at the current process.

So 2G @ 20W is doable - but when?

1.2GHz to 2GHz is 66 percent more, but the power dissipation is a lot more than 66%. A lot more

Okay, maybe 65nm Dual-Core G4 2007
  • Reply 82 of 96
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

Interesting... My roommate ordered a 17 inch powerbook a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to ship yesterday and she just got an email stating that it would be delayed until September 17th. She called to find out why and both people she talked to said "We don't know."

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Mid-September would be a bit early for a PB refresh, but not completely out of the question.

Hmmm.

Interesting info, Arty50. Any other stories from would-be PB owners?

Well after the issues I still had with my 17-inch PowerBook, Apple sent me shipping tags to send it back for a replacement. It went out FedEx Thursday afternoon, and according to tracking information, the defective PowerBook should arrive back at Apple on or around August 12th. I don't know when from the point my defective PowerBook gets checked in, and so forth that I would receive a new unit. If there's any significant delay, and I am still sitting here at the end of August without a replacement, I'll let you know.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Well, as you can read from my previous post, it's now Friday, August 27th, still no replacement 17-inch PowerBook. I wonder what the delay is?
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'd take a 2Ghz G4 with an ondie memory controller in a heartbeat.

HEAR HEAR !

For all the G5 greatness, a 2.0 Ghz G5 going neck´n´neck to a 2.0 Ghz G4 would be sweating a lot. For all the I/O stuff the G5 has ( which is great ),the G5 has never seemed that fast compared to the G4.

ZON
  • Reply 85 of 96
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

HEAR HEAR !

For all the G5 greatness, a 2.0 Ghz G5 going neck´n´neck to a 2.0 Ghz G4 would be sweating a lot. For all the I/O stuff the G5 has ( which is great ),the G5 has never seemed that fast compared to the G4.

ZON

Except that the G4 is stuck at 1.5 and the G5 is at 2.5.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Which would be....irrelevant....if one works, and the other is busy forming a puddle of aluminum slag in your lap.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    I have a feeling that Freescale can be interesting in the future IF they are free of Moto. Moto decided to spin the division off after they found out about the Apple-IBM relationship and I believe that Freescale is now in a sink or swim position. That means they are no longer going to be dragged down by the yo-yos at the senior Moto levels.

If they can produce (meaning deliver) some exciting chips then I say all the better. How would a dual core 2.0 gig chip in an iBook or eMac be for next year's back to school buying season, or the late spring school buying?

The important thing for me is the demand for G5 chips between now through this winter. The iMac is going to put a huge amount of pressure on IBM, in addition to the on-going demand for PMs and servers. Even if Apple can solve ALL of the "challenges" with the G5 in a PB they are not going to release it if they can't deliver sufficient quantities - they have learned that lesson more than once this year. That means next spring for the PB at the earliest and a need for more kick in the iBook/eMac range ASAP.

Freescale might do well if they can perform.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    If Freescale is ready to move the G4 to 90nm, will it have an on-die 1MB L2 cache? If that comes out this year it could make even a 1.8GHz G4 reasonably fast.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    Quote:

RapidIO is coming

moto is coming. Krull, Croll is coming. freescale is coming.

After awhile...the foreplay gets kind of boring.

Apple might not have any other option.

In light of IBM's problems, a 2 gig Powerbook G4 would be fair.

Roll on 2005 and hopefully some real progress from the 'AIM' 'alliance.'

Sigh.

I just want my 3 gig+ Antares...(yeah, I know I can't have it in a Powerbook...)

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 90 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

If they can produce (meaning deliver) some exciting chips then I say all the better. How would a dual core 2.0 gig chip in an iBook or eMac be for next year's back to school buying season, or the late spring school buying?

The biggest problem with Freescale is that they have a very narrow window in which they can be successfull with new 90nm 32 bit processors. At least in the context of Apple and the Mac. In the long run it will be an advantage for Apple to have only one width processor to support. Likewise in a year or two there will likely be an explosion in software that makes use of the 64 bit addressing capability of the new processors thus driving consumer demand.

Quote:

The important thing for me is the demand for G5 chips between now through this winter. The iMac is going to put a huge amount of pressure on IBM, in addition to the on-going demand for PMs and servers.

At the moment we don't even know if Apple will be successful with the new iMac so I wouldn't get to worried. That and IBM's manufacturing problems leads me to believe that Apple will continue to flirt with alternatives chips.

Quote:

Even if Apple can solve ALL of the "challenges" with the G5 in a PB they are not going to release it if they can't deliver sufficient quantities - they have learned that lesson more than once this year.

Has Apple really learned anything? The answer to that question will come when we see the pricing and feature list of iMac3. The current rumors tend to indicate that Apple has not learned anything. One ho hum computer after another doesn't keep a lock on market leadership

Quote:

That means next spring for the PB at the earliest and a need for more kick in the iBook/eMac range ASAP.

Can't disagree there at all the PB needs a kick. Not just in performance CPU wise, battery life needs to become competitive again. It does seem as Apple has lost focus on what made the PB a success. Now they have to compete against Intels credible Centrino line. There is no room for screw ups and the customer base needs to see continous improvement.

Quote:

Freescale might do well if they can perform.

There is certainly a huge potential for Freescale here, but one must remember that they still have the same management team as before. It is a mistake to blame all of Motorola for the SPS divisions problems. Maybe Freescale did shake loose of this limitation, as they say proof is in the pudding. Freescale has yet to deliver pudding, they have a nice recipe but as yet nothing has come of it.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    Saw this post over in the PB forums of MacNN:

Quote:

Just checked at my local CompUSA. 17" Powerbooks have gone to discontinued by manufacturer, sell at discount status. They just knocked $400 off the asking price.

Note that the 12" and 15" PBs did not go discontinued, and Apple usually revamps the whole line simultaneously. But then, Apple does on occasion think different (had to, beat me later). Is this a sign that the 17" will be revamped, or a sign of error from CompUSA corporate? I lean toward the error, but just slightly.

And yes, I do like not actually answering the question, but adding a tantalizing new development that still leaves the base question unanswered (this being the third or fourth time I've done this, and several complained the last time). Hmm, I wonder if I have the Bowie song "Putting Out the Fire With Gasoline". I have a sudden urge to play it.

• Reply 92 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Saw this post over in the PB forums of MacNN:

Power Mac G5 Minitower

Dual PowerPC G5 1.8GHz Processors, 256MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD-RW SuperDrive

Product Number:313821

Brand: Apple

Monitor not included unless otherwise specified.

$1,999.99

(Delivery / Pick-Up+) Compare

»« Power Mac G5 Minitower

Dual PowerPC G5 2.5GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD-RW SuperDrive

Product Number:313819

Monitor not included unless otherwise specified. $2,999.97

Sold Out!

Compare

Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 4X DVD-R / 16X10X32 CD-RW SuperDrive

Product Number:305066

$2,349.88

(Delivery / Pick-Up+) Compare

Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD-RW SuperDrive

Product Number:313820

quickly pasted this from compusa site may be a stupid question but why does it say G5 PowerAmc minitower?
  • Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

Power Mac G5 Minitower

Dual PowerPC G5 1.8GHz Processors, 256MB RAM, 80GB Hard

Dual PowerPC G5 2.5GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard

Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard

Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard

quickly pasted this from compusa site may be a stupid question but why does it say G5 PowerAmc [sic] minitower?

For the same reason the PCs at CompUSA are listed as "Minitowers". And the reasoning behind that is a mystery to me as well.

There are a couple of exceptions, however, such as "X09 Gaming Tower" and "Thunder SG131A Mid-tower".
  • Reply 94 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

quickly pasted this from compusa site may be a stupid question but why does it say G5 PowerAmc minitower?

"Tower" PCs are usually well over 20" tall so they can enclose a large number of optical drives or storage media.

"Minitower" or "midtower" PCs are usually around 18" high or so... which the G5 is in the class of. Technically the G5 is about 20" tall, but close enough.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    drsusedrsuse Posts: 49member
    my local computer store has mail in manufacturers rebates on the powerbooks too. hmmmmmm.