Do you have a PC to complement your Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is a Mac forum but gone are the days (I think) that PC's are the evil empire. We co-exist and there's no mistaking that the majority of the world uses PC's.

And as I happily use my iMac G4 everyday, I'm often irked by software or services not offered to Mac users. It's gotten to the point where I may just get a cheapo PIII desktop for games, chat and other mundane stuff. Perhaps sell my iMac and get a new iBook/PB and add the PC.

I'll never leave the Mac platform as I do most of my professional work on it. Plus OSX is simply too nice to not use.

Others here have a similar set up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    I'm on the flipside... I have a Mac to compliment my PCs.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    At the moment, i have a Mac (15" PowerBook) to complement my PC (Athlon 3000 based XP system). However, i enjoy using Mac OS X so much that i'm planning to sell my PC system and use the money to buy a new iMac and go Mac only.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Nope, no point. Haven't used a Windows or Linux box in too many years. Only contact I have is with people who switch, and usually I take the hard drive and move the data on a Mac. Got no use for Intel.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Work uses PCs, I am tired of their quirks, so I bring in my Powerbook so I can get work done. I don't want adware, spyware, popups, viruses, daily patches, restarts, programs not talking to each other, forgotten preferences, lockups, reboots, system restores, defrags, network communication problems, random OS level pop-ups, and on and on...

I will never spend a dime on a PC, I would sell one if given to me. A PC could never be a compliment to anything except a trash can. I still can't get a PC to run games as fast as I can a PowerMac, even with top of the line processors 1 gig ram and a top end graphics card. Not sure how people set theirs up to do it, but our PCs choke on Photoshop let alone a game...

I will stay happy and trouble-shoot free with my Mac thank you very much...I don't have time to waste, I have to get my work done and meet deadlines to make money, and I can't on the PC with the troubles it gets on its own, and I don't trust anything on it...
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I am pretty much full time Mac. But, there are some programs and corporate websites that require Windows. I have a 12inch PB and a IBM Thinkpad X31.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I occasionally need to run Windows software for lab, wanted an always-on box with a command line to run long jobs, and wanted to play with GNU/Linux. A cheapo AthlonXP eMachines box did the trick nicely. It mostly runs Gentoo, but I can boot into Windows if I need to. I would never give up using my iBook as my daily work/production machine, though. Visiting the other side just makes you appreciate how good it is here.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I still can't get a PC to run games as fast as I can a PowerMac,

that is amazing, do you have a g6? it is known and documented that PCs play games better. even the loyalest apple koolaid drinker will admit that.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

that is amazing, do you have a g6? it is known and documented that PCs play games better. even the loyalest apple koolaid drinker will admit that.

Really? My G4 tower will smoke any pc you bring to the table playing Airburst. (Can't wait for Airburst Extreme) And it's only a 1GHz with a Radeon Mac Edition!

I have a pc I built with my own three hands and it in no way compliments my G4. It's loud, it has to have a slew of virus/sypware programs running, and it runs XP. About the only reason I keep it around is... wait, why do I keep it around???
  • Reply 9 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i have a dell laptop for one stinking program for work, it sits next to my wifes ibook to constantly remind me of the way things should be. my wife won't use this dell and when vpc comes out and reviewed i will see if it runs the program on the ibook then poooooooffff no more dell

hey most people use windows as default not because they choose to do so.

hey i wonder if those at&t pc cards could work with a a powerbook so i can get wireless internet
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

So I have heard and read...Just can't seem to replicate the findings...Not sure what is going on. We have AMD 2800s, and Radeon 9800 pros. It chokes on anything above 800 x 600 for any FPS. Not sure if the configuration is jacked or what, and this is with a gig of ram...These are custom made boxes...I scratch my head when I hear people tell me that PCs are so much faster at running games. It is just not so for me in a real world application...Again, maybe we are doing something wrong, not sure, but the G5 can run the FPS at full res without a hiccup. This is the dual 2 Ghz mind you, not even the newest ones, and it does have 2 gigs of ram, but still...I mean come on...I am not disputing anyones claims that the PC is faster at games, I am just saying that I cannot replicate it on my own...Perhaps I should just sit both out there and let the PC guys see what it is I am doing, that or they will want the G5...
  • Reply 11 of 54
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I have only a Mac home. I work only on Macs at work ..

I could think of getting a pc .. just for the fun of it. But to make it run something like Debian .. M$-free. (as I am at work too, and loving it).
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Used to. Hasn't been powered up in months.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    I use my work Dull to vent my frustration on, but it deserves every punch it gets
  • Reply 14 of 54
    I have some PCs I got for free that I run distributed computing on. I also will get a PC for some apps that are not aviable for the mac. (loudspeaker measurements). I am also thinking about getting it for Flight sims as the last FS on the Mac that I liked was Hellcats and that was 12 years ago.

Will I ever use the PC as my primary computer? Not as long as there is OS X
  • Reply 15 of 54
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Been meaning to build a gaming PC for over a year but in the end it never pans out. Now that one of the few games I play regularly might not be ported to Mac (new version of Urban Terror based on ET) I'll be forced to buy a PC to play with my clan.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Do you have a PC to complement your Mac?

can a PC complement a Mac? That is like saying "do you have an 89 ford taurus to complement your 2004 Mercaides" Both will get you where you need to go, but one just does it a hell of a lot better, looks nicer and has a world famous hood orniment that proudley tells everyone that you have taste, style, sophistication and a little bit of money.

(I am working on the latter...$$)
  • Reply 17 of 54
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    My PC is a Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

My PC is a Mac.

And because the G5 is an IBM, that makes the Mac IBM compatable...what a tangled web we weave.....
  • Reply 19 of 54
    i have an IBM thinkpad to "compliment" my G4 PB. until Macs can run 100% of the software a PC can, i'll always own both types of systems.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    I do all my work on Macs. At work and home. I was thinking about getting a PC for the odd occasion where a PC would be needed. PCs are as cheap as toys so why not.