Do you have a PC to complement your Mac?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    I used a PC for a little while to play CounterStrike :-D

other then that, I hate that thing.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    I have a big, ugly homebuilt Athlon 2000 system. I bought it from this dude who had to move at the spur of the moment, and he sold it to me along with a couple boxes of other crap for $500. After selling the other trash on eBay, the net cost of the PC was $170. Not bad.

Otherwise, I have a Sawtooth Dual 500 (with wicked SCSI raid) that I got for free from university surplus when I was in college. I also have a PBG4 Ti 1GHz. I'm waiting for the next big thing in powerbooks.

But I digress. I have the PC just to shut up the pointy-haired-boss the investors made us hire. He's sort of a jerk about me woring on the mac, but he has less stock than I do so he can't really do much about it.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

BSD predates PCs by a number of years.

Windows deserves the venom thrown at it, technologically, it's a piece of crap. My hats are off to the developers who actually manage to make it do anything worthwhile, because MS certainly didn't try very hard.

And yes, I code for a living, you could say... finishing my PhD in software engineering and architecture design, developing tools for real world practitioners to analyze OO code and produce design documents directly from source code. Basically, it lets you find instances of design patterns in any OO language (except Eiffel, for some esoteric reasons), in a way that's not dependent on static language constructs in the code. Currently writing up the tool to transform gcc translation unit dump trees of C++ into an XML schema I devised for use in other tools I've written.

All of it on my PowerBook. Tried the Windows route (after working with in industry developing military flight simulators), decided it was way more trouble than it would ever be worth, and went back to MacOS X.

Hardcore enough?

Yes, a lot of work has been put into Windows... but quantity is not quality.

doh,....i hope you didnt do something silly like using gcc under

wiindows via cygwin for the translation tool

as for the other tool i presume you are referring to patterns defined

by GOF. i thought there was a already a tool on the market that did that

..and yes i do know that bsd predates windows.

nt 3.51 was the last decent version i actually liked before they did

something stupid & move a ton of gdi stuff into ring 0 causing

all sorts of screwups under nt4 aka no stability

apart from a few people here the rest need to whacked on the head

with a stevens or bach book..
  • Reply 44 of 54
    as for you gaming guys.

opengl 2 was just finalized so expect to see that sometime in

an update to tiger

a big kudos to carmack & co for keeping opengl alive & relevant

in the gaming space
  • Reply 45 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

doh,....i hope you didnt do something silly like using gcc under

wiindows via cygwin for the translation tool

Feh. No way in hades... cygwin isn't worth it, IMHO. Much better off just making it dual-boot with Linux if you need a Unix environment.

Quote:

as for the other tool i presume you are referring to patterns defined

by GOF. i thought there was a already a tool on the market that did that

There are a couple that can find specific constructs in specific languages, in limited ways. The most successful one is probably TogetherSoft's suite... but it requires you to write the code in their tools to begin with, so it annotates the code with markup so it can find it later. My system works on any code from any system, in (almost) any OO language, and is easily trainable for site- or team-specific patterns that may crop up. It's a little bit of a step up.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    I got a pc, i used it for everything until i was conterved last year when we got G5 Macs at college. (I study Graphic design). Now the only use my pc gets is for gaming.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Got a PC to run ArcView, and now that I'm done with the project, on the rare occasion I need ArcView, it's run (believe it or not) in RealPC, in Classic, in Panther on a G3/800 iBook. Not the fastest, but it works.

The PC has now been relegated to serving up generous helpings of UT2004, but that's about it. My daily work is done on a G3/800 iBook, or a Beige MT G4/400...simply b/c OS X makes using a computer a pleasure, as opposed to blocky text and viruses out the rear w/XP.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    i have an athlon box with a good nvidia card. i have constantly upgraded the machine from a celeron 400 many years ago to the athlon 2400. as a matter of fact the only original part is the case! i have used it for windows software development and web development and of course, games. but for the last year i have hardly done any development at home because of an ongoing full-time contract where i cant take any work home (simply not allowed for security). but ahhhhhh, the games. colin mcrae 2004, TOCA 2, UT2004, Doom3, Far Cry (new fave), Tiger Woods 2004 (way better gameplay+graphics than '03), plus countless older driving games like my all-time favourite rally game British Rally Championship... super realistic track maps, very difficult. i could go on and on about the games <drooling> AND my all-time favourite on-road game Sports Car GT, what an awesome driving physics model in that game.

so the pc has become a games-only machine... oh and i track my budget with it as well, and am working on a home-grown .NET class library. mmmm, object oriented. but i certainly dont run outlook or any other crap like that. all my mail and most my surfing is done on my emac (soon magically turning to new imac).

running an emac now, soon to be an imac3. the emac replaced an icebook 600. the icebook replaced a couple of used 7500's. the 7500's replaced a used 6100. the 6100 replaced an LC575 which was my first mac ever (purchased new through uni in '94 or '95).

i'll never switch totally but i'll certainly use my pc less and less. as a matter of fact it is weird for me to only have 1 pc, i hadn't thought about that in a while. now my mac does the work of many pc's!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

BINGO!!!! It doesnt matter if 100 million man hrs have been spent on windows, it is a peice of junk.

I think MS has one last chance, they need to stop all work on xp and ready and release longhorn SOON, keeping a minimal team on for longhorn maintenance, then start from the ground up building a new OS, takeing nothing - not the FS or kernal, not the gui, not the tcp implementation - NOTHING from the 2k/xp/longhorn code base and get it done and gold by 2010.

I dont see M$ doing this and as such, I see them, not going under but looseing their dominance, as the market matures, there will be a shift, I look for the numbers in 2010 to look like this:

windows 50%

mac 35%

linux 2% (servers and nerds, linuix is doing nothing for user freindliness)

some unforeseen yet to be announced os(maybe a consumer OS from SUN) 23%

Windows is fine. Once Microsoft realizes they need to build virus protection into the OS the majority of Windows gripes go out the window (no pun intended). Spyware can be controlled with an improved IE.

Windows is getting better with every new release. Ignore it if you want, but it's true.

If Windows is to be dethroned (which it is not), it will be Linux, not MacOS, that does it.

The platform wars are over. MS won a long time ago.

Pardon me while I go make sure all the Macs in my lab have their security updates.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    I will have to agree with Groverat. Apple will not get that high while maintaining control over both the hardware and software. It offers no variance, or personal configs for those people that choose a PC for that purpose.

MS won the war with market saturation, and if people don't update to whatever MS is making, they will still be using older OSes until they HAVE to upgrade, but to get them to ditch the PC and go Mac is a reach and a half.

The Mac will not become king, but it doesn't have to. Apple will be around for a while, and continues to lead the industry in innovation. As long as it continues to please and raise eyebrows it will be a great alternative to the stuff Redmond puts out.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    I disagree.

As OSes get so complicated, it starts to become exceedingly difficult to maintain a proprietary, monolithic kernel, such as the case with Windows. Not even MS can do it, even with all the money they dump into their projects.

As long as Windows is on top, and as long as Microsoft maintains its position to insist on proprietary, monolithic kernels, the hackers will always be several steps ahead.

I don't ever think that all software will be open source, but as of late there's a clearly illuminated motive to embrace the open source movement as a means of getting unbeatable quality control and real-world prototyping before the product is even conceived.

End of tangent.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The platform wars are over. MS won a long time ago.

Ain't that the truth. But I think deep down we all kind of hoped that OSX had a chance at making a dent. Surely it has won over some PC users, but alas we're still at 2% marketshare.

Ideally, Apple would have 10% marketshare, and 30% mindshare.

More support from developers, institutions, etc...but still small enough that hackers wouldn't bother to write viruses.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    One day I decided it might be fun to build a computer. I looked around a few websites and ordered some parts. I spent a hungover Saturday afternoon with a friend building the computer. After spending about 8 hours trying to figure out how the heat sink worked, finding an IDE cable and realizing the optical drive was defective, we had a working computer. To celebrate our feat we had another party.

Anyway, I have the PC sitting next to my desk now. I use it basically as a file server and something to tinker around with (I was able to overclock it a little). I mostly use Remote Desktop to interact with it, but I have a cheap CRT set up with it which I use as a DVD player occasionally.

I did it for about $400-500 not including monitor or Windows. The graphics card is on the motherboard so I really can't use it for games unless i get a real card, maybe someday.

My main computer is a 800Mhz iMac G4 17". I still prefer to use it over the 1.83Ghz AMD Athlon PC.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    I hope M$ never gets behind. As far as I am concerned there is enough apple products out and I can stand waiting for games or using my PS2.

I love having a comp where I am not worried about every little virus...the whole file compatibilty from my friends is an issue. But basically I can read most of the stuff I get.

my PC messes up when all it has to do is play CounterStrike and Rise of Nations. How the hell can it be so hard to run two games, once a week maybe?