Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    There are a lot of unanswered questions on the part of AT&T. There are a lot of questions remaining to be answered.
    1. Can you get the iPhone as a gift now that they have to be in-store activated?

2. What about existing iPhone owners that want to upgrade?

3. Can you get the iPhone without a data plan as you can do with most smart phones (not that you would want to)?

4. Will AT&T and Apple sell an unlocked version of the iPhone at a higher price point?

5. How is AT&T going to deal with the tremendous crowds on the release date of the iPhone with the new in-store activation required?

6. What are the consequences for breaking the contract within the grace period (usually 30 days).

7. Will GPS function without a data plan?

• Reply 282 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

There are a lot of unanswered questions on the part of AT&T. There are a lot of questions remaining to be answered.
    1. Can you get the iPhone as a gift now that they have to be in-store activated?

2. What about existing iPhone owners that want to upgrade?

3. Can you get the iPhone without a data plan as you can do with most smart phones (not that you would want to)?

4. Will AT&T and Apple sell an unlocked version of the iPhone at a higher price point?

5. How is AT&T going to deal with the tremendous crowds on the release date of the iPhone with the new in-store activation required?

6. What are the consequences for breaking the contract within the grace period (usually 30 days).

7. Will GPS function without a data plan?

3) This is a big fat no.

6) You return it and pay the restocking fee. same as before, but you now get more time.

7) A-GPS won't work, but will it work as just GPS? It would be good to know if one is outside any cell tower range.
  • Reply 283 of 287
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In the UK you can (soon) get iPhone 3Gs with only a prepaid SIM from O2. Expect tons of these to be shipped over to the US for jailbreak because users may not like the bureaucracy of the AT&T activation.
  • Reply 284 of 287
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In the UK you can (soon) get iPhone 3Gs with only a prepaid SIM from O2. Expect tons of these to be shipped over to the US for jailbreak because users may not like the bureaucracy of the AT&T activation.

Look at the Italy PAYG iphone prices.

You think that there are tons of people lining up to buy a $1000 iphone?
  • Reply 285 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) This is a big fat no.

That's what I would have assumed, but now the data plan and the voice plan are entirely separate. You'd be a dumbass not to get a data plan because you'd be paying through the nose for any data you used over the cell network. I know some people say they would be fine with just Wi-Fi, but it seems like there are a lot of places where Wi-Fi isn't available.
  • Reply 286 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's what I would have assumed, but now the data plan and the voice plan are entirely separate.

I asked an AT&T rep who stated that the $30/month data plan is required and the minimum voice plan is $40/month. She could be wrong, she is at the end of line when it comes to info but when I pressed her about my ability to upgrade my 2 EDGE iPhones she stated that she is not sure what AT&T will be doing as they have no stated a price for those not eligible upgrading yet, couldn't see Apple and AT&T screwing over their 2G iPhone users and losing out on the extra $10/month for data at the same time. She was very rational, but she is also going on pretty much the same limited intel as we are.
  • Reply 287 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I asked an AT&T rep who stated that the $30/month data plan is required and the minimum voice plan is $40/month. She could be wrong, she is at the end of line when it comes to info but when I pressed her about my ability to upgrade my 2 EDGE iPhones she stated that she is not sure what AT&T will be doing as they have no stated a price for those not eligible upgrading yet, couldn't see Apple and AT&T screwing over their 2G iPhone users and losing out on the extra $10/month for data at the same time. She was very rational, but she is also going on pretty much the same limited intel as we are.

Upgrading the old iPhone to the iPhone 3G will be a lot easier from a logistical standpoint than will be upgrading the iPhone 3G to what's next. Because the original iPhone was not subsidized, AT&T made no investment that would have to be made up over the period of the two-year contract. With the iPhone 3G, AT&T is making an investment that will be made up in revenue from data plans over the period of the two-year contract. I'd say your chances of being able to upgrade your old iPhone are good, but once you have the 3G iPhone, you're stuck with it for two-years, unless of course AT&T offers an non-subsidized upgrade price.