Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 241 of 287
    I just hope they improve the speaker volume.

I returned my first iphone because of the low speaker volume.
  • Reply 242 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danger247 View Post

That is one of the things Steve mentioned was greatly improved. Though we have yet to see by how much. Though the new bottom suggests that it will be more than sufficient.
  • Reply 243 of 287
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is one of the things Steve mentioned was greatly improved. Though we have yet to see by how much. Though the new bottom suggests that it will be more than sufficient.

How so?
  • Reply 244 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How so?

The bottom seems to be housing larger speakers that are less encumbered by the case design.
  • Reply 245 of 287
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Finally, we can buy another thing we don't need.
  • Reply 246 of 287
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    The best phone ever just got better. Ok so I am still not happy about the lack of video recording or SMS delivery reports but the 3G and App store will make up for that hopefully.
  • Reply 247 of 287
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

God, happened like 9 months ago and the whiners still keep coming.

Better a whiner than a liar anyday. Stop mistating facts that's all. And since when is stating factual truth whining?
  • Reply 248 of 287
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Three of the 5 items you mention (MMS, video recording and audio recording) can be handled by 3rd-parties if Apple doesn't step up to the plate.

Perhaps but not in an elegant fashion unless Apple lets 3rd parties plug in to the built in applications. ie. In iPhone 2.0 you take a photo and you're given the option of emailing it or sharing it to your MobileMe gallery - there needs to be a plugin architecture that lets 3rd parties add 'send as MMS' or 'share to Flickr' direct in the iPhone gallery/photo app.

I hope they do allow that kind of thing as it'd also solve 'Send via Bluetooth' and all sorts of things. Sort of a 'Services' menu for the iPhone.

With video recording, it'd really be best with an Apple app so that a similar service architecture could be implemented 'Share to YouTube' and all that kind of stuff.

Perhaps they've done this - I don't have access to the SDK and if I did I'd still be under NDA I guess.
  • Reply 249 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Perhaps but not in an elegant fashion unless Apple lets 3rd parties plug in to the built in applications. ie. In iPhone 2.0 you take a photo and you're given the option of emailing it or sharing it to your MobileMe gallery - there needs to be a plugin architecture that lets 3rd parties add 'send as MMS' or 'share to Flickr' direct in the iPhone gallery/photo app.

I hope they do allow that kind of thing as it'd also solve 'Send via Bluetooth' and all sorts of things. Sort of a 'Services' menu for the iPhone.

With video recording, it'd really be best with an Apple app so that a similar service architecture could be implemented 'Share to YouTube' and all that kind of stuff.

Perhaps they've done this - I don't have access to the SDK and if I did I'd still be under NDA I guess.

Perhaps in the future they will allow for a robust plug-in system that you can turn on and off vie iTunes setup or on the iPhone's System Pane, but for now it doesn't look like it. Flickr and Facebook image uploading should be out of the gate. I think that may have been something about that in the keynote. (will check later), but if it isn't I have no doubt both companies will have an app to uplaod your iPhones to their site.
  • Reply 250 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danger247 View Post

I never returned mine. But, I believe audio was by far the biggest disappointment of the iPhone. I hope it really is "dramatically improved" as Steve says. Also, the last 6 phones I've had all included video capture, why doesn't this one?!?!?! Hopefully a third party can make it happen.
  • Reply 251 of 287
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I dont know how it happened but I scratched my iPhone screen....keys in pocket my guess.

Its a gouge....really sucks.

So please becareful with your screens.
  • Reply 252 of 287
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but last year's iPhone was released on a Friday @5pm in each time zone. I postponed a several month trip to Asia last year as long as I could to get it but had to leave the week before it came out. Sucked for me too, though I did get the lower price when I returned.

Oh well. Monday the 14th it will be.
  • Reply 253 of 287
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where do you get you figures from? The old phone which people stood in line for hours for was $600!! Stop re-writing history. It was way overpriced from the start.

Not necessarily. Apple had to pay off its initial R&D. The components haven't changed much and the prices for Apple have fallen dramatically from last year.
  • Reply 254 of 287
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not necessarily. Apple had to pay off its initial R&D. The components haven't changed much and the prices for Apple have fallen dramatically from last year.

That's your interpretation. A perhaps more accurate interpretation is that prices were reduced dramatically in order to justify the sales projections. Are you saying that in 68 days after its initial release all R&D costs had been paid off and that is why it dropped $200?

The product was overpriced to begin with and I know that be hard for those who bought into it initally and waited for hours to buy it but that is the fact. It was a bold marketing move on Apple's part to give it an "exclusive" factor @ $600 but it was definitely overpriced at $600.
  • Reply 255 of 287
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That's your interpretation. A perhaps more accurate interpretation is that prices were reduced dramatically in order to justify the sales projections. Are you saying that in 68 days after its initial release all R&D costs had been paid off and that is why it dropped $200?

I don't see the problem there. $200 per device over maybe 1million devices is $200 million dollars. Even if it's only half a million sold up till then, that's $100M. I don't see a problem in suggesting that the initial costs were paid off by then.
  • Reply 256 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't see the problem there. $200 per device over maybe 1million devices is $200 million dollars. Even if it's only half a million sold up till then, that's $100M. I don't see a problem in suggesting that the initial costs were paid off by then.

There's no point in arguing with these people. If all the posts on this subject from last year were laid end to end--well, they're just bits in a computer somewhere, so they'd be invisible. Every new electronic device costs a lot at first and then rapidly comes down in price. Apparently it's only a new and unexpected outrage when Apple does it.
  • Reply 257 of 287
    Quote:

The product was overpriced to begin with and I know that be hard for those who bought into it initally and waited for hours to buy it but that is the fact. It was a bold marketing move on Apple's part to give it an "exclusive" factor @ $600 but it was definitely overpriced at $600.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I give credence to both theories. There doesn't have to be only one reason why they lowered the price.

Are there any reports on how tech companies spend on R&D? The last one I read had Apple spending far less than others, but that was at least 5 years ago.
  • Reply 258 of 287
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Exactly. Apple didn't have to invent much other than a new case. Most of the inside remains the same. The radios are standard off the shelf stuff. The back was probably changed to suppress RF interference that the metal back might have generated. Apple dusted off some 6 month old designs, put in a new radio, some nice plastic, and the rest remains virtually the same. R&D costs surley did not exceed $100 Mil. Just can't see it.

It seems that they just crapped all over Tom Tom as well regarding GPS. See link: http://www.iClarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1334
  • Reply 259 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Exactly. Apple didn't have to invent much other than a new case. Most of the inside remains the same. The radios are standard off the shelf stuff. The back was probably changed to suppress RF interference that the metal back might have generated. Apple dusted off some 6 month old designs, put in a new radio, some nice plastic, and the rest remains virtually the same. R&D costs surley did not exceed $100 Mil. Just can't see it.

The OS has gone through major revisions and there is the SDK. I have no idea how much that stuff costs. As for the HW, I can't wait until we can crack that puppy open and take a look.

Quote:

It seems that they just crapped all over Tom Tom as well regarding GPS. See link: http://www.iClarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1334

There is always the possibility that TomTom may be working with Apple now but keeping it hush hush from here on out. If they aren't and no one else has such an app then this would help TomTom maintain it's business. I love my TomTom and hope they are working with Apple. If Apple added that to the SDK for no other reason that to hinder competition then there will legal problems.
  • Reply 260 of 287
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what i might do

buy the 16gb 3g and get my wife a used V1 iphone,(they will come down in price) then when there is a form factor change upgrade hers to that. i can save some money on the phone defer the cost of the increased data plan

i think a new form factor will be available near or after Christmas. SJ is following the ipod path