Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 521 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Because this thing sucks, look, I have more invested in FireWire peripherals than I have invested in computers, these peripherals don't really go obsolete. And it isn't like USB 2.0 really performs as well as FireWire (especially in hard disks)

Then don't buy a new MacBook. I'm not. I am curious to see if they do the same thing to the iMac. If they do, I won't buy one of those either.
  • Reply 522 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is interesting.

The affordable 13-inch MacBook provides USB2 connectivity for audio I/O, and the MOTU 828mkII USB2 audio interface is the perfect professional audio I/O solution for this new generation of MacBooks. With plug-and-play connectivity via ultrafast USB 2.0, you take full advantage of USB 2.0's 480 Mb/sec bus speed, which is even higher than FireWire 400.

hilarious

they're using a macbook pro in the photo

errrr..... are u sure the text matches the photo ???
  • Reply 523 of 1665
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They stopped shipping FW cables with iPods, then they stopped supporting FW syncing with iPods, then they released a new Mac computer that had no FW capabilities (only USB), then they stopped allowing recharging of iDevices over FW. Add that trend with the fact that most?if not all?Intel Macs had double the USB2.0 than FW400 ports and the fact that it's a dead-end port standard, unless FW800 to 3200, and USB1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0, it's not hard to see where it was going. The only question was when; now we know.

I use a MB Pro and several FW peripherals. I intended to buy a new Macbook for my company but its lack of Firewire killed the sale. I insist all my Macs do Target Disk mode. I must admit you make a reasonable argument. However, marketing isn't only what you say, it's what you omit! I don't think AAPL wants to advertise that it's selling inferior technology.
  • Reply 524 of 1665
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

" I'm sorry that you and others* aren't getting what you want, but the customer base you mention is probably barely a blip on Apple's radar."

This post pretty much sums it up.

Most of the naysaying posts are whining because they aren't arguing the decision from the perspective of a mass market product.

They are merely looking at themselves and saying, "oh Apple, why art you thou doing this to me?"

I mean it's pretty obvious to everyone that if you're a heavy FW user and you wanted a new MB then you're disappointed. 1+1=2

Do you have to go on the internet and say what everyone already knows?

If you want to disagree with the decision then provide some evidence on how new MB sales are going to take a nosedive from this decision. After all this is how Apple is run.

Otherwise it is pretty much whining.

From what I can see the vast majority of MB users (I would say 99%) don't have any need for FW.

When I go the retail store or visit a site like Newegg.com the vast majority of storage devices out there for consumers are USB. There are a few FW/USB storage devices and even fewer (close to zero) FW-only storage devices.

Also the majority of consumer camcorders of the last year or two are USB. The move is on to Flash memory camcorders which I believe all carry USB interfaces. Canon has previously stated that this where their future lies for their consumer camcorder product.

Also one can see that Apple hasn't put FW on many other devices including iPods, AppleTV, Time Capsule and the AEBS.

Last Apple pretty much dropped miniDV support (which usually means FW interface) in IM08 which is their new consumer movie editing software. That was a year ago. Yes it works, but you can't get the quality out to iDVD using IM08.

This evidence should wipe the surprise from the faces of those who are crying "why me??" It should cut down on the drama at least.

Standards change. VHS was big awhile back. SCSI. etc.

The facts are that FW never caught on in the mass market. Intel came out with a much cheaper standard and the lower cost, does the job, good enough interface won the battle.

And now with the much faster USB3 set to be released in the next year or so. With computers having multiple cores which provide more than enough power that negates the cpu savings advantage of FW. FW is dead on the mass market consumer level.

It obviously lives on on the pro level. And there are some legacy consumers. But going forward its dead on the consumer level. And the MB is Apple's mass market consumer laptop.

The reality is the move to an LED screen. To an aluminum body. To a bigger than usual jump in the integrated gpu. To a glass trackpad. etc. These are going to do way more for MB sales than having an old plastic case with FW and a so-so screen did for MB sales.

IT's not the end of the world for the blip on the radar part of the old MB market. Any last-gen MB bought today is plenty fast. It looks like the new MBs aren't any faster than the old ones except in 3d games. The cpus are slower at least in the $1299 model.

Also MBPs are available in the refurb store for $1349 which are quite a bit more powerful than the $1299 new MBs. So if you can't step up to a new MBP when you purchase a new machine then you can step up to a refurb MBP.

In the end, I too am sorry some folks don't like the removal of FW on the new MBs. The reality is these decisions aren't made lightly and are made with millions of consumers in mind. They never can please everyone.

The only people that seem to be complaining or have a legitimate complaint are those with Firewire devices already that can only afford a MacBook. I can understand their frustration, Apple has usually had Firewire on their laptops since the introduction of Firewire and I guess they are so used to it and just expect it. Anything less and they get disappointed. For me personally, I don't buy the low-end laptops, but that's just me. There are USB2 to Firewire cables for a workaround. I am not sure how well they work, but I think is a solution to the problem.
  • Reply 525 of 1665
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

None of those show FW400 speeds, which this conversation seems to be dominated by. I'd like to see those results. If your argument is that making FW800 only a Pro feature to push people into MBPs over MBs, then I certainly see your point. That certainly is a shady, though strategic, marketing move.

I should have included this from the "Other Thoughts"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barefeats

USB 2.0 speed has improved in the newer Intel Macs but its still "smoked" by both FireWire 800 and SATA interfaces. Even FireWire 400 beats it.

So Apple has, for the sake of design, chosen to default to the slowest connection available. The Mac Tech press has been asleep choosing to parrot the "USB is standard" lineup. Well if USB is standard and available on PCs in more abundance than Macs then woudn't that be one less thing to buy a Macintosh for?

Apple's in a precarious position here. Every Mac can run Windows..when it gets to the point thwere the Macintosh hardware is prohibitively expensive and OS X doesn't offer appreciable advantages over Vista/W7 you will easily have an exodus back to windows.

These lame Macbooks aren't going to impress the masses.
  • Reply 526 of 1665
    This is just Apple's way to help the economy.

If they dump firewire off all their machines, everyone will go out and buy new gear.

Apple is just being patriotic here.

[the above was sarcasm]
  • Reply 527 of 1665
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    The problem I have with all this is that Apple didn't simply remove Firewire from the MacBook, they did it while at the same time pushing the MacBook more upscale. It can almost be considered a 13" MacBook Pro at this point so dropping Firewire is like adding insult to injury.
  • Reply 528 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

The problem I have with all this is that Apple didn't simply remove Firewire from the MacBook, they did it while at the same time pushing the MacBook more upscale. It can almost be considered a 13" MacBook Pro at this point. It's like adding insult to injury.

No doubt. At this point we should have had FW800 as the standard. I still can't believe this laptop is USB 2.0 only. One the eve of USB 3.0 (which Macbook owners won't be able to upgrade to) your Macbook is going to lose value.

I don't know if I can do this. I've got a feeling that I'm just going to end up purchasing a Nehalem PC and perhaps I'll end up running something like Adobe Premiere Pro when I want to dabble on the go and as long as the iMac doesn't lose FW I'll fun FCP on a 24 incher.

I work too GD hard for my money to buy into a product that has limited life and performance.
  • Reply 529 of 1665
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I am watching a documentary on Pixar. Steve Jobs is in it. He said something interesting about why most movie sequels suck that I think is applicable to new MacBooks (he was referring to Toy Story 2).

He said many times sequel directors/producers think they know what made the first film successful and try to build upon that for the second film. As result, they focus on the wrong stuff and the sequel is met with criticism or downright sucks. I wonder if this was true for the new Macbooks. They focused so much on design and looks (they thought this was the direction consumers wanted), but in reality the Macbooks were so popular because they were small, very portable, and had the ability to do multiple things for many people... Apple messed up the sequel...
  • Reply 530 of 1665
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Please people, stop making excuses for a poor decision by Apple. FireWire is still a viable technology and USB really doesn't cut it when it comes to audio/video work. Remember...

1: The MacBook is NOT a 'consumer' device. Is tis a PROsumer machine with a price tag to match.

2: Just because YOU do not use FireWire does not make a good argument for getting rid of it on the MacBook.

3: USB is not a viable or like for like replacement for FireWire in audio/video applications. USB is flaky and problematic when daisy chaining or importing.

4: You cannot operate digicam functions through USB.

5: Someday you may need TDM. Help!

6: External HDs, audio devices, digicams, iPods all with FW only STILL exist! Just 'cos YOU don't own one is not reason enough to ignore others needs.

7: Don't get me started about glossy screens, lack of expresscard, over cooked design etc...

Anyway...

LOOK!! New for 2010! Apple totally redesign the MacBook for a new decade!

"We've stripped out all the unnecessary technology and clutter for the 'New Thinking even more Different" age.

Out go all those annoying ports and unsightly keys.

We have even trimmed the MacBook down so that you, our valued customer, will never again suffer the indignity or inconvenience of lugging around a heavy piece of equipment."

.At only $1299, the new Apple notebook

Nice.

• Reply 531 of 1665
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

You mean direct connection through the Ethernet ports without a router in between?

Yes, I do.
  • Reply 532 of 1665
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post

There's a reason why there is a macbook, and a macbook PRO. They have to draw the line somewhere. if you really want firewire, keep your old macbook, or shovel out another $500.

It's a marketing strategy. Apple is growing faster and faster, and they're hoping that this new line will be "an affordable switch" for PC users. Macs have always been more expensive, so the concept of spending more money on the newest technology should be nothing new.

Reasons why apple can do this:

1. You can't get mac os when you buy a sony, hp, dell, whatever!

2. People always think that macs are better(this is an "image")

when you have that image, you can do shit like take away a FW port and let people bitch. They're still gonna grow, they're still going to be amazing machines. SO STOP CRYING AND WORK OVERTIME FOR ANOTHER FEW WEEKS SO U CAN AFFORD A PRO!

You know what i hate more that crappy hardware? Condescending guys like you who try to make people with legitimate criticism look like they are cheap, dumb, or both.

• Reply 533 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

He said many times sequel directors/producers think they know what made the first film successful and try to build upon that for the second film. As result, they focus on the wrong stuff and the sequel is met with criticism or downright sucks. I wonder if this was true for the new Macbooks. They focused so much on design and looks (they thought this was the direction consumers wanted), but in reality the Macbooks were so popular because they were small, very portable, and had the ability to do multiple things for many people... Apple messed up the sequel...

That's a good point. I think that in so many ways computer hardware is kind of in a state of doldrums. We're placing so much emphasis on CPU clockspeed and GPU speed/memory but we're not looking holistically at the tangible improvements these advances make in our lives. When people are obsessing about buying the 2Ghz or the 2.2Ghz computer and have no clue that using that USB port "taxes" their CPU more making minute differences in clockspeed rather moot we have a problem.

Acer Aspire "Netbook" Amazon's #1 seller

If Apple wants to deliver a glorfied surfing box then give me a $600 Apple branded Netbook. Don't give me a $1300 crippled computer that actually regresses the state of Mac laptops.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

Please people, stop making excuses for a poor decision by Apple. FireWire is still a viable technology and USB really doesn't cut it when it comes to audio/video work. Remember...

1: The MacBook is NOT a 'consumer' device. Is tis a PROsumer machine with a price tag to match.

2: Just because YOU do not use FireWire does not make a good argument for getting rid of it on the MacBook.

3: USB is not a viable or like for like replacement for FireWire in audio/video applications. USB is flaky and problematic when daisy chaining or importing.

4: You cannot operate digicam functions through USB.

5: Someday you may need TDM. Help!

6: External HDs, audio devices, digicams, iPods all with FW only STILL exist! Just 'cos YOU don't own one is not reason enough to ignore others needs.

7: Don't get me started about glossy screens, lack of expresscard, over cooked design etc...

Anyway...

LOOK!! New for 2010! Apple totally redesign the MacBook for a new decade!

"We've stripped out all the unnecessary technology and clutter for the 'New Thinking even more Different" age.

Out go all those annoying ports and unsightly keys.

We have even trimmed the MacBook down so that you, our valued customer, will never again suffer the indignity or inconvenience of lugging around a heavy piece of equipment."

.At only $1299, the new Apple notebook

Nice.

LOL. Good points.
  • Reply 534 of 1665
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

But they are the ones buying new macs in the greatest numbers.

Existing Mac users upgrading a two-year-old MacBook Core Duo are the minority.

you can bet that they set Apple Care at 3 years because that's the typical amount of time a user will go before thinking about getting a new machine. and the amount of time it generally takes for technology and price to change so much that repair rather than replacement isn't worth it.
  • Reply 535 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Apple makes no sale. And may lose future sales.

apple is making enough sales that they aren't worried about the small percentage of folks that will leave apple because there's no firewire on a macbook anymore.
  • Reply 536 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

most importantly, it's about Target FireWire mode which can not be replicated in any easy manner!! Target FireWire mode was the de facto and superior way to do troubleshooting or repairs on a drive, along with the quickest & most seamless way to do Migration Assistant.

just in the past week I have done software based repairs on 4 Macs (3 laptops, one desktop) and rebuild from backup images 12 Macs and guess what. I didn't use target disk mode once. I did boot from a USB connected external hard drive 16 times
  • Reply 537 of 1665
    I'm struggling to understand what the issue is here, and why people are complaining? Put yourselves in an Apple executive's shoes - your job is to grow the business, in their case angling their computers in the direction of supporting the tech trends relative to their products. If you're a "video producer" and you use a Macbook, successfully, then stick with it - but don't ever expect future Macbooks (read: aimed at schools and uni students) to continue to support last year's tech just to keep you interested. If you're successfully producing video using your current Macbook, then moving to a newer Macbook isn't going to change anything for you save for a possibly larger HD and a slightly faster chip - if you do need to move on that much from your existing Macbook then you're probably (unknowingly) in the market for a Macbook Pro anyway, which will still support your legacy hardware.
  • Reply 538 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But those are quotes I've seen Steve Jobs say. I think the most relevant quote saying that he doesn't like focus groups comes from the D5 conference when he was on stage with Bill Gates.

but there's something missing. context. when was that quote made. because if it was some 5 year ago comment who is to say that it is even still valid. maybe back then he hated focus groups but now he hosts them twice a week
  • Reply 539 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

Jobs might be sicker than he can admit, and that might be impairing his judgement!

if anyone at apple believed that they would have removed him.

Quote:

BLUE RAY TO EXPENSIVE? NOT TRUE. SONY VAIO FW LINE OF LAPTOPS OFFERS BLURAY READER/WRITER AS A 150/300 OPTiON.

uh, Sony was one of the founders of the BluRay Disc Association and as such probably pays nil in fees to put the drives in their machines. whereas Apple would likely have to license that right. thus the question of expense.

Quote:

NO FIREWIRE ON THE MACBOOK? HELLO? ESATA? AGAIN HELLO? ONLY USB? NOW YOUR STEPPING BACKWARDS.

yeah but how many folks that would use esata wouldn't pony up for a pro anyway. I bet not that many.

Quote:

NEW GESTURES? FINE. BIGGER TOUCH AREA FINE. BUT WHERE IS SOME REAL INNOVATION LIKE MAKING THE WHOLE SCREEN A TOUCH AREA????

i suppose you have already developed the tech so you know how quick and cheap it is. probably already wrote the OS as well.
  • Reply 540 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't know where Mac users get their external HDDs or peripherals in general, but if they get them at an Apple store, which isn't improbably, there is a good chance its FW.

I get all my drives at my local Apple store and I have not seen a FW only drive in ages. every one of them has USB, some USB only. some USB AND