Series of YouTube videos show off Apple's Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If only people who post stuff like this could still be publicly horsewhipped.

I guess this guy really needed to be taught something about right and wrong as a child though and it's probably far too late now.

Edit: at least they appear to have been taken down already.

Maybe it is a child. Some kids are pretty good at computers. I can see him sneaking into his dad/mom's machine and snagging it. lol
  • Reply 82 of 112
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "Mom? There's a man at the door and he says he's from the FBI. He wants to talk to whoever owns the computer. That's dad, right?"
  • Reply 83 of 112
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Actually, Leopard has had the slider in the window since launch, but it's only visible when doing searches.

I'm pretty sure iPhoto had a slider before Vista ever came out and considering most people use iPhoto for viewing pictures, this isn't exactly new (not that you were necessarily implying that it was).

yeah keeping it only for searches and having it hidden in the view options is a bit odd - it's like they're saying hey there's this really nifty feature but it we'd rather keep it for special occasions. u From what i could tell from the vids, it looked like part of the normal finder window not a search...

and i can't care for iphoto - it's a bit too slow for a busy studio and besides i need multiple file support. The finder is the perfect paradigm to browse vast collections of media. However, windows has had the upper hand for a while in this regards. Leopard was a huge leap forward especially with quick look and overall speed, I would like to see better search filters and file sort filters in list view (windows has many more and many are very useful)
  • Reply 84 of 112
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

I know that you are a really smart and knowledgeable guy, but I don't get why you are also okay with promoting this kind of thing. You can be both smart and good person you know.

As you note, anyone who really wants to know this stuff can get a hold of it themselves quite easily.

My point therefore, is that the only reason this d*ck-head did this is to drive his own sense of self-importance to make a big splash, to be "first" etc. Historically, this egoism (cred), is a key driver behind most hacking.

I know this is old-fashioned thinking nowadays and that no one much agrees with me right now, but IMO the more d*ck-heads there are in the world, the worse off we all are.

Also, moral structures are a logical necessity so it's likely the worm will eventually turn and society will again put a value on "doing the right thing" someday as opposed to teaching a self-centred, emotionally based value system as is generally done today.

I just find it depressing, and also so unnecessary to release this now, given that it's likely there are more UI changes (the elimination of aqua) to come; we won't see until the developer preview anyway; these particular changes are minimal and not that interesting; and it's only a damn month or so to wait anyway.

I for the most part agree with you. I just don't care is all. There is nothing here that we really already didn't know with the exception of a few minor things. He better hope that he doesn't get caught though. Apple is really serious when it comes to NDAs
  • Reply 85 of 112
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

You have to wonder if white text on black will become Snow Leopard's theme, but I'm still unsure of that happening. Can't wait for the stoplight window controls to be replaced with something less garish; they have to.

The new Stacks are interesting, but what really caught my eye was the iPhone/iPod touch-style disappearing scroll bar. I think that could be what replaces all scroll bars in SL, rather than the alternative looks introduced in iTunes 7 (i.e., the matte style, though that's nice too), iMovie '09, etc.

All the buttons are more rectangular in Snow Leopard where they were more squarish in Leopard.

The new playback buttons built into the icons for audio and video files are interesting too, but I don't see much of a point where videos are concerned. I don't blow icons up to massive proportions. Audio files, though, will be nice to preview in place. Sure, there's QuickLook, but for audio, it's overkill most of the time. I just want to check out the song before importing it into iTunes.

Overall, these videos just make the wait for the unveiling of Snow Leopard's new UI (whatever it is) that much harder.

If there's one thing I would like Apple to at least consider, it's the removal of the happy Finder face icon with something new and more visually descriptive or something recognizable (perhaps the iPhone's minimalist Home button symbol?). I know, it's sacrilegious and I'll miss the little guy too, but it's time for the Finder icon to grow up IMO.

I hope it is. There were rumors of this change back before Leopard came out called "Illuminous". Apparently it was even in a dev release for Leopard but never made it to the final cut. It would fit very much in line with the new Macs. The good thing is that it's not much longer 'til we'll see a preview.

BTW leave Finder guy alone, we all need our mascots!
  • Reply 86 of 112
    pohlpohl Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I thought that video clip of George Michael dancing and singing in Hindi(?) was remarkable...

FWIW, the artist is Prabhu Deva. The song is "Kalluri Vaanil".

But it is most famous for the hilarious viral "Buffalaxed" video (wherein deliberately-misheard English subtitles are placed over the video.)

Edit: solipsism, thank you for that wikipedia link. "The babe that scorched the college campus"...LOL.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No one noticed the Benny Lava video in the Quicktime X demo?
    edit: Coincidence that Pohl posted the video at pretty much the same time 3 pages in. Anyway, he is correct. The name benny Lava is from a mistranslation as stated on Wikipedia.
  • Reply 88 of 112
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Good F luck trying to find out who this guy is.

Cry me a river.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Good F luck trying to find out who this guy is.

Cry me a river.

Not that matters, but Apple can have the videos taken down very easily. On top of that, his identity would be much harder to figure out if he hadn?t posted them on Apple?s pal?s website that will have email addresses, IP address and probably some sort of name associated with it. He could have concealed himself, but the most likely situation is Apple having the videos deleted.
  • Reply 90 of 112
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

If only people who post stuff like this could still be publicly horsewhipped.

Yes. He's worse than Hitler. And Saddam. Combined!

• Reply 91 of 112
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I know that you are a really smart and knowledgeable guy, but I don't get why you are also okay with promoting this kind of thing. You can be both smart and good person you know.

As you note, anyone who really wants to know this stuff can get a hold of it themselves quite easily.

My point therefore, is that the only reason this d*ck-head did this is to drive his own sense of self-importance to make a big splash, to be "first" etc. Historically, this egoism (cred), is a key driver behind most hacking.

I know this is old-fashioned thinking nowadays and that no one much agrees with me right now, but IMO the more d*ck-heads there are in the world, the worse off we all are.

Also, moral structures are a logical necessity so it's likely the worm will eventually turn and society will again put a value on "doing the right thing" someday as opposed to teaching a self-centred, emotionally based value system as is generally done today.

I just find it depressing, and also so unnecessary to release this now, given that it's likely there are more UI changes (the elimination of aqua) to come; we won't see until the developer preview anyway; these particular changes are minimal and not that interesting; and it's only a damn month or so to wait anyway.

What a fucking drama queen.

Get some perspective. Or some pussy.

• Reply 92 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I haven't watched the vidoes yet. Is there sometihng I should be concernd about? Should I NOT watch the videos, LOL? What's all the fuss about.

I've gone through some of the comments in this thread and the complaint seems to be that the guy shouldn't have released the videos. Is that it?
  • Reply 93 of 112
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I haven't watched the vidoes yet. Is there sometihng I should be concernd about? Should I NOT watch the videos, LOL? What's all the fuss about.

I've gone through some of the comments in this thread and the complaint seems to be that the guy shouldn't have released the videos. Is that it?

There's nothing groundbreaking shown. Just nice little improvements to some of the aspects of OS X.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Legally he shouldn?t either by the NDA or from stealing the OS online and installing it. Regardless, watch away. The real crime is that he using older versions of SL for his demo.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I hope it is. There were rumors of this change back before Leopard came out called "Illuminous". Apparently it was even in a dev release for Leopard but never made it to the final cut. It would fit very much in line with the new Macs. The good thing is that it's not much longer 'til we'll see a preview.

It would certainly be a stark visual change, especially with drop down menus from the Menu Bar. Who knows what they're planning for the Dock? Though I'm one of the few who actually likes the reflective shelf-Dock, I anticipate another redesign, but I could be very wrong; maybe Apple will go with the look of Leopard's Dock when positioned on the side and perhaps mandate that all first and third party app icons be enclosed in a rounded square, mimicking iPhone apps' uniform look.

Exactly three weeks from now, as you note, we'll likely be gazing at it all!!

Quote:

BTW leave Finder guy alone, we all need our mascots!

Haha, well he's going to stand out even worse if they apply QuickTime X's dark theme to the rest of the system. Apple respects no sacred cows..er, smily-faced icons. His future is uncertain at best.
  • Reply 96 of 112
    Aaaaannnnnd........ the videos are no more.
  • Reply 97 of 112
    I am gonnna take a good look and post a real comment when I am sober tomorrow morning.
  • Reply 98 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

I am gonnna take a good look and post a real comment when I am sober tomorrow morning.

I think the window of looking has closed.

But hell dude, if you get drunker you can post about anything at all!
  • Reply 99 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Legally he shouldn?t either by the NDA or from stealing the OS online and installing it. Regardless, watch away. The real crime is that he using older versions of SL for his demo.

Well, he "leaked" them, I suppose. Happens all the time. They're just teasers. Doesn't excuse what he did, but it's going to happen, so when it does we might as well accept it and discuss what's being shown.

Nothing new, though. I remember that Leopard builds were leaked all over the torrent sites as well back during the summer of '07. Someone's always going to break the NDA (assuming it applies), but that's really the perpetrator's business. If there is something to see we might as well watch.
  • Reply 100 of 112
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Esc key= Cancel Command d = Don't Save Return key=Save or Command S .

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

My first ever post on any fanatic site:

Watching these videos gave me pleasure.

One thing I'd like to see in an OS. Example. You click the little red ball to close, say, a Pages window. What happens? Pages prompts you with a question "Do you want to save...?". And then you have to move your mouse pointer all the way to that little prompt window to click on the offered buttons.

What I'd like is to have this little prompt window pop up right where your mouse pointer happens be at the moment! You get that?

I have a 24" iMac (just had to mention it, fanatically) and it's long distance going from that red ball to the center of the screen just to meet those buttons.