Series of YouTube videos show off Apple's Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Bah... Here you are... The player displays its fashionable controls rather that the content it is intended to... DVD player on the contrary may display the controller in windowed mode...

If you're just viewing the video and adamant about controls (which fade away) not overlaying the playing video, why not use QuickLook instead?

Personally, I only ever open QuickTime when I need to export an iPod-compatible version of a downloaded video and now that QTX supports intuitive editing, I may use it for that too.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    "When performing a search..."

Finally. I don't understand why the default wasn't "This Folder" already, as intuition would lead you to believe.

I also wonder why they can't just add this to Leopard in a point release; it's not complicated.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, but only briefly and exactly in the location where your attention is directed when you need them.

I wasn't sold on the idea at first, myself, but I think the borderless player is far less distracting than the brief appearance of transport controls.

After all, if you're doing a lot of starting and stopping, you're probably not just sitting back to enjoy the video unmolested, and if you are the new scheme actually gives you a more "content-centric" experience.

I guess a floating controller ala DVD Player might be useful, I'm not sure how, though.

Drawer. And the small "i" in the view, if they want to fade something in and out "so bad".
  • Reply 64 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

If you're just viewing the video and adamant about controls (which fade away) not overlaying the playing video, why not use QuickLook instead?

Personally, I only ever open QuickTime when I need to export an iPod-compatible version of a downloaded video and now that QTX supports intuitive editing, I may use it for that too.

Who are Apple's programmers to know better how I should watch my clips? I'm their client, a customer, you know.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

Because... When I'm in the situation I can't use my keyboard arrow keys to, say, move from "Save" to "Don't save". Or is there like some trick to this?

There is a shortcut.

For starters, the Save button doesn't need to be highlighted. Just hit Enter and it will activate. Generally the Don't Save option is the one that's highlighted around its perimeter. To activate this without mousing over to the button itself, hit Spacebar. Finally, if you want to highlight the Cancel or Save or whatever, hit Tab and it will highlight the different buttons. As before, hit Spacebar to activate the highlighted button.

/off-topic
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:

Who are Apple's programmers to know better how I should watch my clips? I'm their client, a customer, you know.

• Reply 67 of 112
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

Hmm... Maybe like a genie effect that would allow the little red ball to "spurt" out the prompt window right next to it...?

Because... When I'm in the situation I can't use my keyboard arrow keys to, say, move from "Save" to "Don't save". Or is there like some trick to this?

But I get your thinking here. Messing around with prompt windows might easily make things worse.

Command d chooses "don't save" and closes the dialogue box, "return" does the same for save.

As far as UI changes go, I guess there's always a tradeoff between making things as obvious as possible for someone doing something for the first time, and not unnecessarily complicating things if the learning curve is pretty shallow.

So in the case of a "genie" dialogue box coming from the close button, that actually would make the relationship between closing and needing to save more immediately obvious (which is very Apple like), but at the expense of changing a single behavior in a single instance of modal dialogue boxes, which isn't.

Although, in support of your idea, Apple has as of late seemed more willing to come up with non-standard UI solutions to specific problems, as in the case of the sort of wonky floating help arrows.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

For better or for worse, Apple's motto is not "the customer is always right." Usually it's for the better.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Command d chooses "don't save" and closes the dialogue box, "return" does the same for save.

As far as UI changes go, I guess there's always a tradeoff between making things as obvious as possible for someone doing something for the first time, and not unnecessarily complicating things if the learning curve is pretty shallow.

So in the case of a "genie" dialogue box coming from the close button, that actually would make the relationship between closing and needing to save more immediately obvious (which is very Apple like), but at the expense of changing a single behavior in a single instance of modal dialogue boxes, which isn't.

Although, in support of your idea, Apple has as of late seemed more willing to come up with non-standard UI solutions to specific problems, as in the case of the sort of wonky floating help arrows.

I hear you. Thanks for the "Command d". Now I can forget the whole thing! Though a genie would be sweet!
  • Reply 70 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If only people who post stuff like this could still be publicly horsewhipped.

I guess this guy really needed to be taught something about right and wrong as a child though and it's probably far too late now.

Edit: at least they appear to have been taken down already.

He's not too bright. If one pays attention, when he shares/save the video from Quicktime, he saves it to his desktop at /Users/canedazan/Desktop/
  • Reply 71 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I pay little attention to grammar, when I post in forums. There's nothing about it to be proud of, yet it smells a bit like one has nothing to say on the topic when trying to make counterparts be irreproachable English writers.

I noticed it, but I don?t care unless about grammar on a tech forum unless it gets made into an issue (usually by someone who is incorrect with their assumption) or it changes the meaning of the post, but it looks like he was simply making a joke about it, not making fun of you for making it.

Quote:

I don't believe they would drop their shining idea of fading controls...

My comment was meant to imply dropping the inlaid controls, just adding a different controller for those so inclined. They do with DVD Player.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Uh, what's with the tampon icon (third down on left)? What does that do?

That's Apple's new iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

For better or for worse, Apple's motto is not "the customer is always right." Usually it's for the better.

I saw someone promised Apple new breed of customers today. Brave PC overclockers. We're not scared by discharged batteries anymore.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I noticed it, but I don?t care unless about grammar on a tech forum unless it gets made into an issue (usually by someone who is incorrect with their assumption) or it changes the meaning of the post, but it looks like he was simply making a joke about it, not making fun of you for making it.

Big deal! Glad to entertain. NP.

Quote:

My comment was meant to imply dropping the inlaid controls, just adding a different controller for those so inclined. They do with DVD Player.

Would appreciate.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Looks good enough for prime time. Wouldn't be surprised if it is released at WWDC.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:

I noticed it, but I don’t care unless about grammar on a tech forum unless it gets made into an issue (usually by someone who is incorrect with their assumption) or it changes the meaning of the post, but it looks like he was simply making a joke about it, not making fun of you for making it.

Yes, of course! That's why I added the "although that would be pleasing", on account of the joking!

Please to not be taking offense!

Quote:

A preference for either "old school" controllers (unlikely; Apple usually doesn't hang back on this kind of UI change) or a floating controller ala DVD Player are possibilities, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Just seems like a lot of complexity just to keep transport controls off the screen for a second. Although, if they did do it, it might be cool to do "tear off" controls that could be dragged from the video window to wherever.

As far as Apple dictating my viewing options, they already do that by obliging me to watch non-full screen video in a heavy little player frame-- or, if I use Quick Look, with persistent transport controls.

I guess it would be nice if Apple offered every possible UI choice at every junction, but we know that's not going to happen.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've enjoyed these.

Yes ..it breaks a potential NDA but these are just small touches that won't even be covered at WWDC most likely.

Doesn't this guy open himself up to legal consequences for posting these videos?
  • Reply 78 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Doesn't this guy open himself up to legal consequences for posting these videos?

I would have thought.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably not. I doubt he has a ADC membership. He's probably downloaded SL illegally.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Probably not. I doubt he has a ADC membership. He's probably downloaded SL illegally.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.

Still, isn't "downloading SL illegally" likely to run athwart of the dread Digital Millennium Copywrite Act, which I believe is insanely draconian?

Usually not an issue, but this guy is doing it in public and leaving his name on it.