Does Leopard Finally Fix the Finder?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Does the new Finder allegedly allow you to create a new file just like it allows you to create a new folder?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Does the new Finder allegedly allow you to create a new file just like it allows you to create a new folder?

Um, no. Why would it? This isn't Windows. It's never going to be Windows. The Mac is a very document-oriented environment, and dissociated empty files like that are never going to be featured in the Finder.

If you're dying to have this feature (and I can't for a moment imagine why you would), it should be pretty easy to whip up something like that using AppleScript and the context menu extension system.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    yes. they FTFF.

they did not FTFM. (mouse).
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Um, no. Why would it? This isn't Windows. It's never going to be Windows. The Mac is a very document-oriented environment, and dissociated empty files like that are never going to be featured in the Finder.

If you're dying to have this feature (and I can't for a moment imagine why you would), it should be pretty easy to whip up something like that using AppleScript and the context menu extension system.

PathFinder has this feature.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Has Apple finally fixed the FF?

Thanks.

I already answered once, but now that i've diddled around for a couple of hours with the new cat here's my real response after booting back into Tiger:

wow, Tiger Finder beach balls all the time, more than I realized before. Leopard is smooth like butter. NO crashes.

Yes, the FF is FF, Finally. F'N A.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    "PathFinder has this feature."

What do you use it for? What use is a blank file?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    A (not necessarily) Finder related question:

Have they created better hooks for plug-ins in the Finder (and iApps but I guess that will have to wait). The hacks of the past are all security-deficient. Apple is, I suspect, hostile to add-ons but they make the Mac so much more useable. Something like more expandeable PreferencePanes would be ideal. A similar mechanism for preferences in iApps would be wonderful.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

"PathFinder has this feature."

What do you use it for? What use is a blank file?

I use this feature of PF all the time. Here's an example. I have an App called iClip which is a multiple clipboard program. When I'm on the web or in a document that allows text or graphics copying, I clip (copy) the items which get stored into separate bins or clips in iClip. Clicking a menu icon at the top of the screen opens up iClip in a 1.5" x 13" rectangular array showing all the bins with their clipped items i. When I'm in PF, I create new blank .txt or .rtf files right from the PF menu and paste my clips into these new files I've just created according to topic, e.g. , AAPL Finance, Smartphones, GooglesGoingTo$1000, MSFT_Hardware_Disasters, etc.

One other nice feature of PF (which SJ made a big deal about in the Leopard Keynote demoing the Finder with Cover Flow) is the ability to see the contents of almost any type of file within the PF preview pane. For example as I'm scrolling through files, I can see the text in a text file, the cells in an Excel file, the contents of a PDF file, a ,jpg or ,png image, a movieclip in a .wmv file, etc.

I hope the new Leopard Finder gives me as much functionality as PF. I have not used the Tiger Finder or Spotlight in over 6 months.

Here's a view of the PF command module wherein you can do almost anything in OS X.

[IMG][/IMG]
  • Reply 29 of 32
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Maybe a detail, but important for me: does the new Finder allows for more label colors (maybe custom colors) ?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Maybe a detail, but important for me: does the new Finder allows for more label colors (maybe custom colors) ?

I also want the ability to have custom colors and the ability to just shade the effing folder (like you could in classic). I don't mind the current shading options, just give us back the option to shade the folders.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Thanks for taking the time for a detailed response. Maybe I've misunderstood, but doesn't dragging the items into a new Texteditor document do what you want?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Thanks for taking the time for a detailed response. Maybe I've misunderstood, but doesn't dragging the items into a new Texteditor document do what you want?

Yes to your question..

PF has a Text Editor App built in to it so it's just a bit easier to execute my example in the fashion I stated. But in essence, the two operations are equivalent. From within PF, you can do almost anything including easy App launching.

I can also create a new excel, a new HTML and a new Terminal file from within PF just by assigning the appropriate extension to the file.Here's another example. If I choose new HTML file from the PF menu, a new text file is opened with the following text already provided:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">;

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">;

<head>

<title></title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

</head>

<body>

</body>

</html>