Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    I'm excited about this, even though it may spell doom for Microsoft's consumer PC market. First, it'll likely put some of Microsoft's money into our communities (wages, mall rent) for the short time that they run this operation. Secondly, this HAS to have positive implications for Apple's (or anyone else's) market share. The implications for social proof are through the roof! This will make dissatisfaction public, whereas it used to be confined to your phone line, in your own home.

Just think if you were in the market for a new computer. You're at the mall and you walk into the MS Store, and see nothing but stressed out, sweating techs trying to handle the complaints and tech issues of dozens of customers. Holy Jeebus! I've gotta get out of here! Then you walk into the Apple store and see lots of people wide-eyed and smiling, fiddling with this gadget or that, using computers that work, and having FUN!!! There are one or two people in the whole store with actual service/performance issues, and relaxed Geniuses are resolving every one of them quickly and easily, and they're shown to be simple misunderstandings. You begin to reach for your wallet....
  • Reply 102 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

I'm excited about this, even though it may spell doom for Microsoft's consumer PC market. First, it'll likely put some of Microsoft's money into our communities (wages, mall rent) for the short time that they run this operation. Secondly, this HAS to have positive implications for Apple's (or anyone else's) market share. The implications for social proof are through the roof! This will make dissatisfaction public, whereas it used to be confined to your phone line, in your own home.

Just think if you were in the market for a new computer. You're at the mall and you walk into the MS Store, and see nothing but stressed out, sweating techs trying to handle the complaints and tech issues of dozens of customers. Holy Jeebus! I've gotta get out of here! Then you walk into the Apple store and see lots of people wide-eyed and smiling, fiddling with this gadget or that, using computers that work, and having FUN!!! There are one or two people in the whole store with actual service/performance issues, and relaxed Geniuses are resolving every one of them quickly and easily, and they're shown to be simple misunderstandings. You begin to reach for your wallet....

Except the picture you paint is horribly biased and probably not a true reflection of reality .
  • Reply 103 of 130
    "Opening a new chain of stores would be a monumental task, particularly during a global recession that is literally killing retailers of all kinds."

Ouch!
  • Reply 104 of 130
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I can hardly wait for new Apple commercials with John Hodgman playing a Microsoft store manager and Justin Long dropping in to shop. This is going to be rich!

(Actually, it would behoove Apple to wait and let Microsoft squander bazillions in rolling out retail stores, so that the pathetic shortcomings of the MS stores will become readily visible in the marketplace. THEN the time will arrive for Apple to do a judo move on MS, using the MS store deficiencies to further advance Apple's market penetration.)

Walk into an Apple store. See all the displays of Apple hardware executing neat Apple applications. See the demos with shoppers clustered around Apple employees, learning about all the cool things they can do with iTunes, iPods, iPhones and iMacs and MacBooks. How is MS going to demo most of its stuff? On Dells? On Lenovos? On Acers? The point is that MS is strategically weak compared with the totality of the Apple experience. Unless they have some kind of "gee whiz" experience up their sleeves, they will fail to impress shoppers.
  • Reply 105 of 130
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    This is MS building on its "I'm A PC" campaign. That's all. As Apple commercials have defined MS for consumers, MS has had to regroup and try to set the tone in defining itself. Regrouping is something that MS must do. So, their getting into retail is actually a good idea for them.

Naturally, there's not a lot of reason to expect that MS will succeed in this sort of venture. (Aside from their software and hardware problems, their advertising campaigns--intended to wrest their image from Apple--have been rather laughable in themselves.) But WTF? They can spend oodles of money on advertising and they can do the same with retail stores. They don't have to be profitable if success is measured in mindshare.

Here's what I envision for MS retail:

Museum exhibits--computers running Windows versions from the past. This will evoke a measure of fond nostalgia in some people: "Minesweeper! I haven't played this in years!" This is something Apple can't do--not because there's a lack of nostalgia among Mac users (or that such appeal would actually be realized by a very small portion of the overall population), but because Apple is all about progress. MS just has to win back or acquire a kind of warm and fuzzy feeling from consumers.

"Home-built" computers/Hobbyist supplies--for the DIYers out there. This enforces the ubiquity of the Windows operating system and has the potential for being kind of fun (if that's your sort of thing [and it is that sort of thing for PC folks]). This also gets around the potential problem of pissing-off hardware partners like Dell and HP etc.

Games--that's obvious. In addition to Xbox, though, expect dedicated systems for Windows gaming and especially Windows-7-only gaming.

Windows differentiation--the myriad versions of Windows has never made any sense to me. Maybe MS can explain this better in its own retail space (or more successfully up-sell, in any case).

Touch--what's the name of that monstrous touch-table MS has? They'll showcase that thing.

As for copying Apple, that's a natural reaction to have on impulse, but I don't think it holds up or amounts to anything substantial. The store thing--as at least one other person has noted--was tried before Apple. With MS launching "My Phone," and tailoring Windows 7 from OS X measurements, one's impulse feels correct, but--to me--this is influenced by past instances of copying instead of being an appraisal based on current realities. In essence, all competition is imitation. (Don't AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile... do pretty much the same thing?) Innovations are made along the way (and they're promptly competed for). Apple has done a better job of innovating against MS for a long time. This is appreciated and people are emotional about it and the user experience they have. The sentiment is understood (especially in the context of this being an Apple website). I'm not saying it's general expression here is wrong. I guess my point with this paragraph is that I don't see any of this as a black-mark against MS; I see it as healthy competition that will make Apple even better.
  • Reply 106 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

You are SOOOOO right. Until now people do not have where to complain about bugs, security, vulnerability, crappy functionality, etc. Now, they will go complain in the M$ Genius "wannabe" bar (obviously they will create a genius bar of their own) - lets guess the name... any suggestions?

inGenius Bar? ZuneBar? MyBar?
  • Reply 107 of 130
    "We're working hard to transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition"

All you have to do is read that sentence to know this is doomed to failure... What a bunch of losers. Have they ever had an original idea?
  • Reply 108 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Walk into an Apple store. See all the displays of Apple hardware executing neat Apple applications. See the demos with shoppers clustered around Apple employees, learning about all the cool things they can do with iTunes, iPods, iPhones and iMacs and MacBooks. How is MS going to demo most of its stuff? On Dells? On Lenovos? On Acers? The point is that MS is strategically weak compared with the totality of the Apple experience. Unless they have some kind of "gee whiz" experience up their sleeves, they will fail to impress shoppers.

Yeah, especially since everyone is already forced to use M$'s crappy products at work-- where's the surprise?
  • Reply 109 of 130
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

You are SOOOOO right. Until now people do not have where to complain about bugs, security, vulnerability, crappy functionality, etc. Now, they will go complain in the M$ Genius "wannabe" bar (obviously they will create a genius bar of their own) - lets guess the name... any suggestions?

inGenius Bar? ZuneBar? MyBar?

FooBar?
  • Reply 110 of 130
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    this is finally the answer to the 'where to put the surface' problem...
  • Reply 111 of 130
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Funny from Macworld ;-)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1388...oft_store.html

I just have to chime in here, whether this becomes a success or not, at this point the idea reflects very badly on MS. After impotently fighting back against the Apple Ads and mysteriously whimpering out. After Declaring that the Zune was in for the long haul and then the recent sales figures. After Balmer dissing the iPhone then telling his staff MS needs to be more Apple like - then announcing My Phone, and now this... They really do themselves a public relations disservice and don't need much help from the growing number of MS sceptics. As has been pointed out repeatedly, it would have been funny had it not been so sad.
  • Reply 112 of 130
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Even though I doubt Microsoft can pull it off, this isn't such a bad idea in that there is so much mall space available. Microsoft doesn't directly compete with typical mall stores, thus landlords will offer sweet deals just so the mall doesn't like like a ghost town. I don't think they will have free standing locations. There is also some symbolism in having these store, even if they are not profitable, just like Sony does in upscale malls and high profile locations. Think Time Square!

It's fun to bash Microsoft, but with all the money they have, there isn't much risk in opening stores at a time when rents are cheap. They need a showcase and they're bound to have a winning product eventually. Given this news I no longer intend to short sell there stock.
  • Reply 113 of 130
    Quote:

=

Imagine a small "Office Shop" showcasing all the advantages of Office for Mac, PC, server and all solutions in a interesting "café-like" setting placed in the heart of a financial district.

People can enter, get a peak about Office, be informed about the latest innovations and then maybe also have training lessons about Office (how many users really know how to get the best out of it??). THAT IS WHAT MICROSOFT SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT...

You are a lot smarter than MS will ever be.
  • Reply 114 of 130
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Ballmer == FAIL!
  • Reply 115 of 130
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

It's fun to bash Microsoft, but with all the money they have, there isn't much risk in opening stores at a time when rents are cheap.

Of course there's risk. Risk that they rent all of this space and still can't shore their sinking market share. They don't understand the direct retail experience, and they're not going to be committed to the model. This experiment will fail. And, if I were a Microsoft shareholder, I'd bitch loudly if I saw yet another misguided Ballmer attempt to be "cool like Apple" that results in a $300M writedown on cash value of the company -- just like the bizarre Seinfeld commercials.
  • Reply 116 of 130
    Wow. Imagine the software selection. Windows, Office, Windows, Office, Windows, Office. They'll just alternate the boxes on the shelves. Whatever vendor they put in their for running Windows will be surely pissed. Or, they'll say, I am sorry, we don't sell computers here, we only sell software since that is all we make.
  • Reply 117 of 130
    Epic fail.
  • Reply 118 of 130
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

What are you SMOKING MH01?

You sound like a liberal saying..... "Sources say"....w/o ever saying what they said just insinuating someone backs up your IDIOT STATEMENTs...ie... you are FULL OF CRAP.

1) Yes Apple is getting bigger.... and they've earned it

2) They don't act like Microcrap because their products ARE GOOD, WELL ENGINEERED, and I don't have to constantly dick with them like I would if I were foolish enough to use a PC on a regular basis and thank god I don't have to.

You make me want to Gag..... GO FIX your PC now !

Z

No sources mate, personal opinion.

I have been with apple for 15 years, for me apple was a company that was about Apple computers, now its about Ipods/iphones. The unibody macbooks were frankly disappointing, great if your after eye candy, but an example that apple is catering for the masses.

Anyway, I personally believe there is merit in the Microsoft stores. Interested in how it pans out.

A Mac is a PC that runs OS X. SO pull your head out, you have to deal with the same shiity hardware that a PC user gets from nvidia.
  • Reply 119 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I still don't get it... why would the best selling software company in the world get out of a successful business... are you guys morons? Really?

And what exactly are they going to sell? Windows and the xbox? My android phone is better that than POS Zune!
  • Reply 120 of 130
    What's really weird to me is this is a Mac forum with a load of Mac users (including me). Mac users are generally like to remind people macs "just work" and unlike windows there easy to use, don't have all the problems of a windows machine. Combine that with the fact Apple's product line isn't particularly big. If you want to buy a Mac it doesn't really take long to choose which one, laptop or pc? Home user or need lots of power? Then you basically have the choice of 2. Then there's iPODs but they could be sold next to any old mp3 player and 1 phone which most people are going to get form the phone shop. So why do Apple have stores?

So if macs are so easy to use and just work, who needs a genius bar? Thats should be a Microsoft thing shouldn't it. And as Apples product line is a lot smaller than Microsoft why should a Microsoft store fail rather than Apples. If a genius bar proves popular for Macs which are so good, a Windows Genius bar in theory could be an attraction to sell tickets to.