Apple tablet speculation: production costs, internal components

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Why would I need a overpriced tablet when I can get a laptop for cheaper? Whatever price point this comes in at, we know its going to sit WELL above the iphone 32GB price.

If I traveled a like hundreds of miles this tablet might be worth it...if I didn't own a device capable of MP3/Video/Ebook reading. Fortunately I do, and it fits in my pocket

If it fits in your pocket it's probably not that great for watching video or reading ebooks.

Why would you buy a smartphone when you can get a netbook with 3G for cheaper? It's obvious: because form factor and interface matter. For the same reason many people will prefer a tablet over a laptop even if the latter is more powerful. A laptop isn't a handheld device. It can't be used in the same circumstances as a tablet can. It has a different interface, designed for different uses.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the price for the iPhone at the same time they announce a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtyler View Post

It's the difference between a computer and an embedded device.

You want the on off button to work instantly.

There are many things you don't do with a laptop or PC because you won't wait for it to boot up - and you can't leave a mobile device powered on all the time.

I don't know what PC or laptop you are using, but mine wake up from standby pretty much instantly. It's only the monitor which is a bit slow...
  • Reply 62 of 68
    gtylergtyler Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Treefoot View Post

I don't know what PC or laptop you are using, but mine wake up from standby pretty much instantly. It's only the monitor which is a bit slow...

I don't have a laptop at home and my iMac is in a dedicated computer room. I have a laptop for work only so that I can bring it from my docking station at work to my docking station at home. I rarely use it in other places, but when I do I sit down in a chair and put it on a desk. I know some people use theirs on their lap, but the name laptop has always seemed weird to me.

The iTablet will have more mobility than a laptop - meaning I can use it in more places. Not sure if I will whip it in the waiting room at the doctors office, but I know that I wouldn't bring a laptop there. The iTablet will have a simple OS/UI like the iPhone. For me, I think those two things are a winning combination.

I work with computers all day at work. I don't enjoy coming home and struggling to get them working at home. I have a PC at work because I have to and I have a Mac at home because I want to. I've built Windows PCs before and they never last. The hardware will ultimately let me down or the new OS won't work right. I have plenty of PC parts in the basement. That part of my life is behind me. Maybe it's my age, but I'm on a quest to simplify. My three kids are enough complexity.

I guess it's a lifestyle choice - you can choose another path. I'm not foolish enough to think everyone will or even should make the same decisions as I do. Are you?
  • Reply 63 of 68
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I guess similarly in 1984, the question for many was "why would I need an overpriced 'Mac' (with all this graphical 'toy' stuff, and a mouse), when I can get a PC for cheaper?"

It is the perception of value that counts. The problem here is that people won't value a consumptive device much more than an iPod Touch. In fact I suspect Apple will need to lower the prices on the current Touch devices to better slot the base model tablet. No matter how fancy it is it will still be a tablet a compromised device. It is one thing to spend a couple of hundred on a Touch or a thousand on a notebook, it is another thing completely to expect people to shell out much more than $500 for a big screen Touch. We are talking base models here, obviously 3G and additional features will add more.

Quote:

The differences today are

1) netbooks are seriously underpowered (I think it's fair to call them netbooks not laptops)

2) we don't know the price

3) we don't know in what way it will redefine the interface or what it does yet

Are you saying the tablet won't be underpowered? Because I don't see it doing much better than a ATOM powered netbook. It is possible of course for Apple to go completely bleeding edge here with a multi core wonder SoC.

Quote:

I would expect it'll cost more. I hope $600, I imagine it might reach $800. Hopefully they'll subsidise in some way. Maybe with an internet plan, maybe by selling it for $500 if people sign up to MobileMiSlate for 2 years ($150/year for unlimited online storage?), maybe with a minimum 4 subscription services for 2 years? They have a few options.

A top end model might reach those prices but I really believe they need to get the intro price down into the current IPod Touch range. That is less than $500. Further the 3G models can't be subsidized as this means contract and service provider locked tablets. The last thing I want is a tablet that ties me to a vendor and worst is locked to that vendor. I want to ve able to switch 3G service provider by simply swapping the sim card whenever I need to. If I'm in Ireland for a month I want to be able to buy one months worth of service at reasonable costs, same thing for Canada or any other place I might go. This isn't a swip at AT&T but rather the general nature of the mobile industry and their need to screw travelers.

So no locked devices! Further we shouldn't get screwed for buying an unlocked unit.

Quote:

If it costs significantly more it won't get the sales, it won't get the developer support (except in basic iPhone ports of apps). They need to get it out as cheaply as they can.

That I agree with! It needs to be relatively cheap. Cheaper even than your goals (WiFi only model). That from the consummer end. As to developers, if Apple delivers a productvas easy to develop for as iPhone they will flock there with the hopes of exceeding the successes seen with iPhone. I don't see developers as being a problem unless Apple really fouls up the SDK.

Dave
  • Reply 64 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

....A top end model might reach those prices but I really believe they need to get the intro price down into the current IPod Touch range. That is less than $500. Further the 3G models can't be subsidized as this means contract and service provider locked tablets. The last thing I want is a tablet that ties me to a vendor and worst is locked to that vendor. I want to ve able to switch 3G service provider by simply swapping the sim card whenever I need to. If I'm in Ireland for a month I want to be able to buy one months worth of service at reasonable costs, same thing for Canada or any other place I might go. This isn't a swip at AT&T but rather the general nature of the mobile industry and their need to screw travelers.

So no locked devices! Further we shouldn't get screwed for buying an unlocked unit.

Dave

Although of course in the US "swappable sim card" means "no Verizon or Sprint", and suddenly "not locked to a vendor" looks like "your choice of AT&T or T-Mobile."
  • Reply 65 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Although of course in the US "swappable sim card" means "no Verizon or Sprint", and suddenly "not locked to a vendor" looks like "your choice of AT&T or T-Mobile."

The size of the device makes it more likely to use a hybrid more likely. I?m not saying it?s likely, just that it would be more likely.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    pasikpasik Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

I was doing some brainstorming here with a friend - What if

The new Apple tablet would also replace the Apple TV or allow you to browse the internet on your TV wirelessly from your sofa.

This is exactly what I am expecting. I have an iMac in my living room as a TV, media center, web browser, etc. On my softa table there is Apple wireless keyboard, remote and Magic Mouse for commanding my iMac. I would be happy to replace these three items with one. Do you think "iTablet" could do it?
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pasik View Post

Do you think "iTablet" could do it?

Well the iPhone can with AirMouse. But it'd be a far cheaper solution if Apple made a bluetooth keyboard with touch pad and remote built in.

You don't need memory, CPU, screen, touchscreen for what you are asking.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtyler View Post

The iTablet will have more mobility than a laptop - meaning I can use it in more places. Not sure if I will whip it in the waiting room at the doctors office, but I know that I wouldn't bring a laptop there. The iTablet will have a simple OS/UI like the iPhone. For me, I think those two things are a winning combination.

Oh, I completely agree with that. I just wanted to add that "instant-on" is not just a feature of mobile hardware and OSes. It also exists in the desktop space, at least technically. Though in practice, as you say, a device you can pick up provides more instant access than one you have to sit down in front of.