10.7 Predictions

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Since I mentioned MacRuby eventually being included into a future release of the Mac OS, here is an interesting tutorial on MacRuby and Grand Central Dispatch.

http://www.macruby.org/documentation/gcd.html
  • Reply 62 of 92
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    My bad. My reference should have been speech recognition and not text to speech.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

My bad. My reference should have been speech recognition and not text to speech.

OK. Well, I agree that Mac OS X does not have a worth while speech recognition tool. I tried it ? System Preferences > Speech and click on the Speech Recognition pane. I understand it is very old technology. I tried it out and it could not recognize my voice at all; but I also have a moderately profound hearing loss (and hearing aids with great digital technology to massage the sound just for my needs). It follows that my own speech is not up to par, even after a lot of work. It could recognize the voice of one of my relatives.

And I know that Microsoft has speech recognition integrated into Windows. By repute, I understand that Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best. There is a MacSpeech based upon the aforementioned speech recognition engine.

Will a better speech recognition tool be integrated into a future Mac OS like Windows? I don't know, but I have my doubts. Even the best speech recognition is not without problems in the current state of the technology. Perhaps Apple chooses to leave this technology to third parties.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Will a better speech recognition tool be integrated into a future Mac OS like Windows? I don't know, but I have my doubts. Even the best speech recognition is not without problems in the current state of the technology. Perhaps Apple chooses to leave this technology to third parties.

Apple is active in "Speech to Text" development though they have kept a lot of their technology underwraps.

iPhone Speech to Text Patent filed

Apple adding Voice Commands to Apple TV?

Also of note in the last link is the mention of Jerome Bellegarda a Spoken Language Engineer. He's published a few books on Latent Semantic Mapping.

Amazon book in 2008 on LSM

So I'd hazard a guess that Apple doesn't promote their Speech to Text but they are working on solutions and in typical Apple tradition they'll deliver a surprisingly workable solution despite not promoting it as much as say Microsoft.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

?Apple adding Voice Commands to Apple TV??

I had forgotten about the IPhone 3GS Voice Commands. Some of the iPhone OS technologies have migrated to the Mac OS. The trackpad support as an example. Just as VoiceOver has migrated to the iPhone OS when a sufficiently powerful iPhone could utilize it. So, it would seem to me feasible for Voice Commands to be migrated and adapted to the Mac OS Speech > Speech Recognition pane. And maybe that pane will be re-named 'Voice Commands' ?

I also now recall that iTunes now has some sort of language translation function to generate song titles to be down loaded to the iPod Shuffle.

Thanks for your links.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    I believe everything except the iPod Classic uses some type of speech. It comes as a surprise to me that Apple would have speech recognition in Mac OS, when it is so lame. Microsoft is ahead here. You can talk to a Ford car. When something goes wrong, you have to stop the car, turn off the engine, get out, close the door, and start the entire process over. Giggles.

Despite things that are wrong with Mac OS X speech recognition, a rather brilliant young lady created this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...etherobot.html
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:

I believe everything except the iPod Classic uses some type of speech. It comes as a surprise to me that Apple would have speech recognition in Mac OS, when it is so lame. Microsoft is ahead here. You can talk to a Ford car. When something goes wrong, you have to stop the car, turn off the engine, get out, close the door, and start the entire process over. Giggles.

Despite things that are wrong with Mac OS X speech recognition, a rather brilliant young lady created this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...etherobot.html

Remember that mention of text-to-audio-file Automator action I made in the Visual Impairment solutions thread? What I am conjecturing is that iTunes uses that technology to generate short audio files containing the song title, which is subsequently downloaded to that dumb iPod Shuffle to do some razzle dazzle on owners of the iPod Shuffle. Beyond that, iTunes has some sort of capability to translate song titles before-hand from one language to another for the benefit of an international audience.

It has been a very long time since I have been on Windows, so I can't say much. But, speech recognition technology is still an immature technology. This is clear from the links that hmurchison provided.

I have not looked at the link you provided yet.

Finally, Apple actually does not have what I would call speech recognition technology installed in the Mac OS. Naturally Speaking is trainable. As far as I know, I cannot record my speech pattern and tie it to an action. Maybe I have not figured it out yet.

'Microsoft is ahead'. Are you sure? Notice that hmurchison said that Microsoft was 'advertising'. He was not being respectful.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    I do believe Microsoft is ahead of Apple in some areas. Now that satellite radio is all one company (Sirius XM) there is no competition. Fortunately, we have Microsoft and Apple. Both attempt to be the best. I get into trouble here, for voicing my opinion against Apple. I can't see the screen on the MacBook. I don't know about the MacBook Pros. Way out of my price range and always will be. Same goes for the Mac Pro. I will never buy another iMac. So Apple makes just one box for me ... the mini. While it seems to be the most popular as a server, I want one to hook up to a TV. It is perfect for Home Theater. Instead, Apple goes in that direction with Apple TV. I have no desire to ever Hackintosh a PC. Never. So my next computer will either be a mini or a PC. The next OS will be the deciding factor. I had an iMac G3 and never could get the hang of OS 9. I am very comfortable with OS X Leopard. I will skip Snow Leopard. I've been a PC since the days of the 8088 and 8086 chips and MS DOS 3. I could live with Windows, but would miss Alex everyday. Windows, and Ubuntu make for a lot of options on the visual side. I don't feel Apple does as much. Navigating with zoom is awkward, regardless of the operating system. If there is a way to modify the Apple font sizes (globally) I don't know how. Windows yes. Ubuntu yes. Lots of clean options for the mouse pointer too. Apples does fine, don't get me wrong. But I do believe the other guys, including Linux, are more flexible. Off to the fridge for my Kool-Aid. It happens here, you know. They call me things like Troll and Fanboy. I'm just honest, which doesn't always work here.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Quote:

I do believe Microsoft is ahead of Apple in some areas. Now that satellite radio is all one company (Sirius XM) there is no competition. Fortunately, we have Microsoft and Apple. Both attempt to be the best. I get into trouble here, for voicing my opinion against Apple. I can't see the screen on the MacBook. I don't know about the MacBook Pros. Way out of my price range and always will be. Same goes for the Mac Pro. I will never buy another iMac. So Apple makes just one box for me ... the mini. While it seems to be the most popular as a server, I want one to hook up to a TV. It is perfect for Home Theater. Instead, Apple goes in that direction with Apple TV. I have no desire to ever Hackintosh a PC. Never. So my next computer will either be a mini or a PC. The next OS will be the deciding factor. I had an iMac G3 and never could get the hang of OS 9. I am very comfortable with OS X Leopard. I will skip Snow Leopard. I've been a PC since the days of the 8088 and 8086 chips and MS DOS 3. I could live with Windows, but would miss Alex everyday. Windows, and Ubuntu make for a lot of options on the visual side. I don't feel Apple does as much. Navigating with zoom is awkward, regardless of the operating system. If there is a way to modify the Apple font sizes (globally) I don't know how. Windows yes. Ubuntu yes. Lots of clean options for the mouse pointer too. Apples does fine, don't get me wrong. But I do believe the other guys, including Linux, are more flexible. Off to the fridge for my Kool-Aid. It happens here, you know. They call me things like Troll and Fanboy. I'm just honest, which doesn't always work here.

Generalities without specifics to support your opinions are of no value whether one is a Mac fanboy, Linux fanboy or Windows fanboy.

State where Microsoft is ahead.

State how Linux is "more flexible."
  • Reply 70 of 92
    One of the things I mentioned was being able to change font sizes (DPI) in both Windows and Ubuntu. Windows 7 makes it easy to switch from 100, 125, or 150%. I have my copy of W7 RC set at 125%. It makes reading these posts a breeze versus a pain. Both Windows and Ubuntu have more options for changing the mouse pointer than Mac OS. Out of the box, that is. The only thing that keeps me locked into Mac OS is the speech. Apple allows the ability to use color or grayscale and reverse image. The mouse pointer can be made bigger. In my case it is less accurate. I click on the green plus button it the upper left, and I often get the yellow minus one. Mac OS is just a little less keyboard friendly. There are sometimes when you have to use the mouse. Little things I consider advantages to Windows and Ubuntu. The Appearance feature in Ubuntu is way more versatile than it is on the Mac. I cannot change how Leopard looks. That is a drawback when you are looking for features that work better with low vision. Fonts is one thing. Being able to work with various color options is a plus too. It would be fine if all I used my Mac for was the web. I could bump the text up a few kicks and all is perfect. Not being able to see all the screen in the zoom mode is quite the pain. I have zoom turned on, but the keyboard shortcuts won't work. They are grayed out in the Universal Access. So I have to turn zoom off, then back on. This is constant and a pain as well. By the time I can get zoom to be comfortable, even though it is blurry, I have access to about 30% of the screen. I am comparing apples to apples too. Same iMac. Windows looks better than Mac OS after I increase the DPI by 25%. Ubuntu looks better on Windows using VirtualBox than it does on Mac OS. I have nystagmus. It is an involuntary and constant eye movement. While it isn't terribly common, there isn't an optometrist on the planet who is not aware of it. Except for speech, where the Mac is miles ahead, everything else I need works better on a different OS.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I care about features, not names, but I'll point out that the widely-known names of big cats that haven't been used yet are Cougar, Lion, and Lynx.

I continue to believe that 10.7 will first be announced at WWDC 2010 and will ship sometime in 2011. I also believe that 10.7 will drop support for 32-bit CPUs i.e. Core Solo and Core Duo (Core 2 Duo are 64-bit and I'm confident will run 10.7).

I'm slightly less confident that (on hardware with 64-bit EFI) 64-bit kernels will boot by default. It will depend on how much progress there is with 64-bit drivers. For example, I have a USB stick GSM modem which only works if I boot with a 32-bit kernel. Will Vodaphone update the firmware with a 64-bit kext? I have no idea.

Absolutely on...

Cougar, Lion, and Lynx.

Those were the three I would have picked out.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    G'day

Have you tried a cursor enhancer (for want of a better word).

I've got iCursor 1.4 http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-7216.html

and with the Circle option picked in the Lighter mode, I have created a shimmering Circle of red and yellow at the bottom right of my cursor.

It's free, and operates as an Application.

My settings are:

System Name : Lighter

Total particles 100

Duration 2

Particle Size 15

Texture Circle

Cursor offset X 20

Cursor offset Y 80

Acceleration X : 0

Acceleration Y : 0

Direction X :1

Direction Y :0
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

cool ideas. Perhaps "Sky Leopard" would be a good name too.

Nah. Those aren't a real animal.

OS X "FLYING SQUIRREL" - YEAH, BABY!

And they can use the animal in promo pics. There is even an X pattern when the "wings are spread..."

LOL

• Reply 74 of 92
    I want to see a unified interface, right now, it's a random mix of aqua and marble :/
  • Reply 75 of 92
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Hopefully:

'iTunes' as product will be dropped, and replaced with a seperate media center app that features the following tabs:

- AppStore

- Movies

- Music

- Photos
  • Reply 76 of 92
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    A Mail progam that didn't forget your passwords three times a day would be nice.

I'm getting a bit sick of retyping my passwords and checking the 'Remember my password' box (whcih clearly isn't connected to anything).
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Complete GUI makeover with tabs and a look closer to the iPhone/iPad
  • Reply 78 of 92
    I believe i distinctly heard that after Snow Leopard, that Apple was going right to work with Mac OSX 11. Has anyone heard that too?
  • Reply 79 of 92
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    I'm thinking Mac OSX 10.7 Cougar. As for "features" of 10.7 I'd have to say that anything really consumer facing that was dropped from 10.6 to develop the foundation will get revisited.

New Marble UI will likely be introduced?

I see a bigger expansion of MobileMe integration with the system (TimeMachine) and iLife '11

OpenGL will get fully updated to 100% support of all versions including the latest version

OpenCL will be expanded into the core frameworks

New interfaces will be included such as facial recognition, head and eye tracking, etc..

who knows what else they might add, I'm hoping for a peak at WWDC '10 but I'm thinking it will be mostly focused on new iPhone hardware, and new iPhone OS4 features for that new hardware, and demoing pandora as background app, some games with fast app switching, and a few other examples of the multi-tasking modals. they increased the $$$ for a ticket by more than $300 so maybe this year the 5000 attendees will get a new iPhoneHD/4G instead of a dev preview of 10.7
  • Reply 80 of 92
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redfrogr View Post

I believe i distinctly heard that after Snow Leopard, that Apple was going right to work with Mac OSX 11. Has anyone heard that too?

I doubt that.. seeing that OSX is "OS TEN" so that would be "OS TEN ELEVEN"? I don't think we will see a new Mac OS version for a while. OSX has a very modern core and with SnowLeopard, they just spent a major release modernizing older parts of OSX and building a foundation to continue OSX innovation. I think there will at least be another 4 major OSX releases before Mac OS11. I think they will eventually completely redesign the whole OS especially the UI to support emerging hardware technologies over the next decade and we will see an OS11 in summer of 2020. I also think that when they move to OS11 we will see the convergence of iPhoneOS and MacOS back into a single platform that really uses resolution independence. Imagine if dev's wrote an app that was device aware, so it would conform it's self to whatever device it was being used on. Now imagine MobileMe as a service that allows your content and app's to seamlessly move with you from iPhone, to iPad, to MacBook to iMac or MacPro. Typing a pages document on your iPad and when you get home, within range of your iMac, you can move your running pages program from the iPad to your iMac to continue working on it. Until then I think we have a long and interesting road ahead of us for OSX.