NYT: Steve Jobs feels Google betrayed Apple by mimicking iPhone

Comments

• Reply 161 of 344
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i have a nexus one. half assed programs do not one up the iphone. android is just like a linux distro except the nexus one ain't cheaply priced. that is, it has copy cat programs but is never really up there with os x or even windows 7.

Since you appear not to be aware...

Android is a mobile operating system who's apps are designed to be used on mobile devices (smartphone/MID/tablet), and in no way, shape, or form needs to compete directly with programs written for full desktop operating systems like OS X and Windows 7.

Comparing Android to OS X or Windows 7 makes absolutely no sense in this case.
  • Reply 162 of 344
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    H.R.H. Steve Jobs has evidently forgotten "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Jobs, get off your corporate high horse and resume life as a human being.
  • Reply 163 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Android is a mobile operating system who's apps are designed to be used on mobile devices (smartphone/MID/tablet), and in no way, shape, or form needs to compete directly with programs written for full desktop operating systems like OS X and Windows 7.

fully aware. sorry if you got confused. i was comparing linux distros to Win and OS x and by that manner comparing android to iphone os, and windows mobile.

caio,
  • Reply 164 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Goggle has never once innovated. They betrayed Steve. Worst of all, they hurt his feelings. Google is the most evil.

You are obviously being sarcastic.

But the fact is that Google has barely developed anything successful outside of their initial search engine and Gmail.

Nearly every other successful product Google has had was through the purchase of another company. In fact, even Android isn't a Google creation. They bought a 3rd party that was making it.
  • Reply 165 of 344
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Android is effectively iPhone without the walls. If you like living in a prison, then keep supporting the iPhone/iPad. If you like Freedom, choose Android.

A Person's mind lives within the impervious wall of his own body; the wall is an enabler.

This basic and fundamental enhancing protection is the cradle of a free mind.

There is absolutely no need for a replacement solution to this evolutionary wonder. Unless you wish to collectivize, reengineer it for you profit.
  • Reply 166 of 344
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

A Person's mind lives within the impervious wall of his own body; the wall is an enabler.

This basic and fundamental enhancing protection is the cradle of a free mind.

There is absolutely no need for a replacement solution to this evolutionary wonder. Unless you wish to collectivize, reengineer it for you profit.

I absolutely wouldn't want my mind living outside of my body - it's hard enough not to be embarrassed even knowing that no one else knows what I am thinking!
  • Reply 167 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Gmail, Google Earth, Google Maps to name three...

Google Goggles, Google Voice Search and Google Talk... to name three more brilliant (and FREE) Google services -
  • Reply 168 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

fully aware. sorry if you got confused. i was comparing linux distros to Win and OS x and by that manner comparing android to iphone os, and windows mobile.

caio,

Fair Enough... Sayonara
  • Reply 169 of 344
    4 Best Things about Google:

Google = Fly-by-night operator

Google = One Trick Pony

Google = Crappiest UI ever

Google = Shit scared of the Chinese Govt. Now running with tail between their legs.
  • Reply 170 of 344
    Still the iPhone is much better. Droid sucks and what a stupid name meant for stupid people.
  • Reply 171 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

You think its that easy?

Lycos would be better.
  • Reply 172 of 344
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I really don't get why it was a surprise to anyone that Google would get into territories that Apple was invested in. They are a technology company. It was Apple's fault for allowing Eric onto the board. They were raking-in billions without much of a challenge before he joined the board, so what were they to do with those billions. Answer: find new avenues of revenue in the technology field. Would I have predicted the Android OS prior to its announcement: no. However, it was just a matter of time before the two collided.

Google Docs threaten iWork and Office for the Mac just as much as Office for Windows. They should have gotten the hint then. Google's real target is Microsoft and if Apple is a casualty of that goal then so be it. Google knows Microsoft is gunning for them just as much and MS will wring everything it can from Apple to take Google down a peg or two.

All of these companies are in a fight for mindshare as it is called competition. Will they ever really kill-off each other: no. They'll just take it to the next level of whatever future tech battleground that will be: home automation (e.g. Google what's in the fridge and cupboards for a shopping list and meal ideas. Google what's in the washer or closets for ideas for what to wear at specific events. How about what's due for servicing or what events affect me that I need to attend. How about who is within my proximately so I know to act like I'm not at home. Etc.)
  • Reply 173 of 344
    Spoken like a true google moron
  • Reply 174 of 344
    Eric Schmit = Snake Oil Salesman.
  • Reply 175 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Android is the shittiest O/S ever made. What is it? A bunch a Javascript crap. Cannot do even 10000th of what OSX or Win7 can do. Google is incapable to creating anything real. Just vaporware.
  • Reply 176 of 344
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Motorola, LG. and SE are selling Android phones too; Apple only seemed to get a case of butthurt when the Nexus One came out, which is a primarily Google/HTC collaboration.

I highly doubt Apple will ever sue Moto, simply because Moto can counter sue with one lil simple patent they have and that's the patent for the "portable phone"
  • Reply 177 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Android is the shittiest O/S ever made. What is it? A bunch a Javascript crap. Cannot do even 10000th of what OSX or Win7 can do. Google is incapable to creating anything real. Just vaporware.

Sure... Like Android (mobile OS) is even a direct competitor to OS X or Windows 7 (desktop OS) -
  • Reply 178 of 344
    Google got their butt kicked by the Chinese. Couldn't get market share in search in China, so now they level false accusations at the Chinese Govt. The Elementary School kids can hack into Google Servers. That's how secure Google's systems are. What a joke of a company? Another Enron in the making.
  • Reply 179 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's really hard to comprehend that there are really people out there who are this blindly naive. The walls around the iPhone are for keeping the barbarians out, not for keeping the citizens in. The walls around Android are for making sure the citizens don't ever leave the city with anything of value by making them pass through the Google checkpoints on their way out.

]

if they gave away awards for the best post in a thread you would be unquestionably the winner of this one!

• Reply 180 of 344
    Another example is the difference between their respective online offerings. Google almost provides everything that MobileMe does, but each piece is separate from the rest, they don't always work together and it's hard to know what pieces you need. You also have to read a few books to know how to integrate all that stuff into your life. Apple provides less flexibility with MobileMe, but it's straightforward and you don't have to "manage" anything or know anything about how the Internet works.

[/QUOTE]Apple should be scared of Google.

/QUOTE]If Google someday found a good way to sensibly offer their services to the average non-techie consumer, they could easily take over from all the other online service providers. Apple's services on the other hand look good and work well, but they just don't offer what people actually want. It seems to me that while it's possible for Google to somehow acquire design "chops" and to get better at PR and customer support, I don't think Apple will ever figure out the "social side" of the Internet.[/QUOTE]

You make some Vaild points here. Mobile Me, is though Basically Active Sync, which is the tech community has been around forever on every platform. It is straightforward on any platform and is Free. No $100 a year to use. Google's yes is free and is popular with those who use mac at home but not as their cell phone.

Apple services I agree look good. Some work well, though on the subject of cell phones if you want to use non apple endorsed products your considered hacking. Google, is ok with that. This is where the disconnect starts. The reason there are so many different types of android devices out there is to provide one for a different type of experience. I wish apple would have considered that approach. This is where on the mobile market google will likely prevail.