Circumstances likely to see Apple push MacBook Pro refresh to November

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, the difference very simply comes from the fact that you don't have any concept about the average user. The average user doesn't need more than 8 hours of battery life. The average user isn't doing anything where "only" 6 GB of RAM is a bottleneck. The average user is not using even a tiny fraction of a modern computer's processing power.

Obviously we have a different idea when it comes to the average user.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mustmust Posts: 6member
    According to rumors, Ivy Bridge will arrive for the holiday season, so next MBP's could be delayed a tad to ship with them.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by must View Post

According to rumors, Ivy Bridge will arrive for the holiday season, so next MBP's could be delayed a tad to ship with them.

Yet I've heard that Ivy Bridge is delayed till spring. To many rumors to little fact.

Now it would be very nice if Ivy Bridge shipped in November. Even if it is just in tne AIRs it would be nice. Apple & Intel could pull that one off because there isnt strong demand for that part in the PC world. They could call it special packaging for apple and not have competition issues.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yet I've heard that Ivy Bridge is delayed till spring. To many rumors to little fact.

Now it would be very nice if Ivy Bridge shipped in November. Even if it is just in tne AIRs it would be nice. Apple & Intel could pull that one off because there isnt strong demand for that part in the PC world. They could call it special packaging for apple and not have competition issues.

Most of the more reputable sites indicate March 2012 as the likely release date:

http://www.infotechblogs.com/2011/06...-in-march.html

http://techsitemap.com/intel-ivy-bri...ntels-roadmap/

There is some precedent for Intel giving Apple early access to limited volumes of chips - it happened with the Mac Pro a few years back. But I'd be surprised if Apple would get them THAT far in advance.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I'm hoping for the ability to stuff 16 gigs of ram in. (I have first gen i7 - no thunderbolt)

I'll be waiting for 1st or second version of ivy
  • Reply 26 of 44
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I'll have to hand back my work-issued 13.3" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) next month when I change jobs. This spec bump comes at a perfect time for me. But alas, I want a slightly higher resolution screen on the 13.3" to match the 13.3" MBA. I might go for a 15" instead...
  • Reply 27 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Obviously we have a different idea when it comes to the average user.

I'm more with you on this. When it comes to a non serviceable machine like a macbook air, I hate to see them ship it with the bare minimum for the currently shipping OS. I think they need to adjust their mindset on things like ram if we're going toward completely unserviceable machines. These aren't IOS devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I'm hoping for the ability to stuff 16 gigs of ram in. (I have first gen i7 - no thunderbolt)

I'll be waiting for 1st or second version of ivy

There may not be a second version of it. Some generations we get two revisions with others just one. Your current machine will take 16GB. It's a matter of cost. Right now it's quite expensive, but it comes down to what you wish to spend on it. If Apple goes to a more macbook air like standard with the ram soldered to the motherboard, you either won't see the option for 16GB or it won't be much cheaper than it is today.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    I see the point to keep Airs on dual-cores.

BUT Pro 13"ers should be upgraded to quad-core processors.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Cool, I'm getting a new MacBook Pro on Nov. 18th so this won't matter to me! :-) It's time for me to put my 4 year old MacBook to rest.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    By this I mean one can walk into an Apple store and play around with an AIR and be left with an excellent first impression. They are nice machines. How ever the rational person will look at the size of the SSD and end up frustrated that more storage isnt easily obtained. Even more frustrating is the knowledge that RAM expansion isn't even possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm more with you on this. When it comes to a non serviceable machine like a macbook air, I hate to see them ship it with the bare minimum for the currently shipping OS. I think they need to adjust their mindset on things like ram if we're going toward completely unserviceable machines. These aren't IOS devices.

No they aren't. Never being able to expand RAM really means you have to choose very carefully up front which model you buy. On top of that the potential for getting screwed down the line when an important software upgrade comes along is very real. For some AIRs are effectively disposable. That disposability might not be a problem right now as they are easily re-sellable but it doesn't always make condominium sense.

Quote:

There may not be a second version of it. Some generations we get two revisions with others just one. Your current machine will take 16GB. It's a matter of cost. Right now it's quite expensive, but it comes down to what you wish to spend on it. If Apple goes to a more macbook air like standard with the ram soldered to the motherboard, you either won't see the option for 16GB or it won't be much cheaper than it is today.

In the Pro laptops I suspect their hands are some what tied. Apple can't realistically call the MBP's, pro computers without some user configurability. 😃

However technology marches forward, I could see them quickly dropping DIMM support as soon as it is technically feasible. We might still have the potential for expansion it just won't be in the familiar way. When manufactures start to move some of the technology used to build cell phones into laptops the size of the hardware versus capability will change drastically. 3D tech means machines like the AIRs could easily come with 16GB of RAM. The question is how soon will the transition take place.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Cool, I'm getting a new MacBook Pro on Nov. 18th so this won't matter to me! :-) It's time for me to put my 4 year old MacBook to rest.

I'm shooting for five years on my early 2008 MBP but I must admit if the Ivy Bridge machines are what is suggested I may jump the gun. With Mac OS though the machine has held up remarkably well, it does look like the days where you had to update every year or so are gone.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Staying dual core that is. It is very acceptable though if the power savings goes to greatly improved GPU performance. If Intel actually has managed to cut power usage 50% that could lead to a much better graphics improvement at no cost in battery life. That is something almost everyone can benefit from.

Still the lack of a quad core AIR would be a problem for me. I simply do not see dual cores as a good buy these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorsova View Post

I see the point to keep Airs on dual-cores.

BUT Pro 13"ers should be upgraded to quad-core processors.

• Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

I'm shooting for five years on my early 2008 MBP but I must admit if the Ivy Bridge machines are what is suggested I may jump the gun. With Mac OS though the machine has held up remarkably well, it does look like the days where you had to update every year or so are gone.

Well you've got a 2008 MacBook Pro so you can confortably get 5 or 6 years before the hardware starts to fill old and dated. I can't say the same for my 2007 MacBook! :-) but I'm super happy about my MacBook Pro purchase next month.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Mine is the mid 2010 i7 2.66 before thunderbolt, I was under the impression this one doesn't do 16 gigs, is this incorrect? Currently the 2 8gig sticks are about 750ish.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4 Bluetooth 4

Bluetooth 4
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

Bluetooth 4

That's a given.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Mine is the mid 2010 i7 2.66 before thunderbolt, I was under the impression this one doesn't do 16 gigs, is this incorrect? Currently the 2 8gig sticks are about 750ish.

Prices drop fast. 16 GB for the 2011 MBP is $629.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor..._1333MHz_SDRAM
  • Reply 38 of 44
    It is sort of like the joy in getting your first set of wheels as a teenager.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Well you've got a 2008 MacBook Pro so you can confortably get 5 or 6 years before the hardware starts to fill old and dated. I can't say the same for my 2007 MacBook! :-) but I'm super happy about my MacBook Pro purchase next month.

• Reply 39 of 44
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    They're out, but it's sad to see an update being rolled out like this... the MacBook Pro spec's sheet is not yet updated and clicking to purchase the 15" or 17" in the store throws an error message :/

screenshot taken few minutes ago
  • Reply 40 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

You know it would seem I made a mistake here. I thought it was the 2010 on. It was the 2011. 8GB dimms have been available on the desktop side longer than they've been available in sodimm form.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Prices drop fast. 16 GB for the 2011 MBP is $629.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor..._1333MHz_SDRAM

They do. 8GB dimms have been available in ram appropriate for desktops/workstations for quite a while. I imagine the demand wasn't high enough to really bring prices down though considering that you are generally able to use 4 sticks in a single socket configuration that way.