Mac shipments slow on absence of new hardware

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Well maybe I wasn't clear enough. I know the Air has an Intel chip not an ARM chip. I was using the Air's normal usage (needing less powerful chips) which have shown that many user just don't need the power of a desktop Mac. I was relating the type usage in iOS devices as comparable to what people are using their Air's for. Many people have moved their personal productivity task over to iOS devices. Post PC era? I do believe the ARM or something like it or even an Intel Ultrabook chip, will replace the current chips in future revisions of Apple's laptops. My bet is on a custom ARM out of PA Semi but Apple's not dumping Intel in the near future for the reasons you mention. But it will happen IMO.

As for power and speed of ARM. I think people are judging ARM by the current state of its infrastructure and performance, and I am look in the crystal ball and seeing a really upgraded ARM and who's to say Apple couldn't use multiple ARM chips working in tandem powering an iMac. I just believe Apple eventual wants to power all their devices with their custom designed SoC chips.

I would absolutely love a Macbook Air with a ARM chip in it, I'm getting maybe 4 hours if I dim the screen down now. However I do not, repeat, do not want that notebook to have iOS on it. It is a phone OS and barely a tablet OS, without something as simple as a file-manager or terminal I dread the thought of it. However, OSX, well that's a different story, I'm all over that. I can I only dream of getting 10 plus hours from a notebook right now. The closets I've come to is with my Chromebook, I get 9 hours with that.

I can't wait for ARM to become more powerful so we can finally remove Intel from the equation but please stop this nonsense of thinking iOS is anything but a mobile OS.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I can't wait for ARM to become more powerful so we can finally remove Intel from the equation but please stop this nonsense of thinking iOS is anything but a mobile OS.

I hear where you're coming from and I'm thinking that iOS will become cross platform with Mac OSX BUT iOS will not replace OSX as a desktop operating system. Like you, I feel they very different and it's the task they are designed for will keep them different. I believe iOS is a mobile system and I think Apple understands the difference. So they won't try to make one superset OS. They probably, and have been merging the productivity apps, like mail, contacts, calendar, etc., so that iCloud can sync these task across Mac OSX and iOS. The meat of the desktop apps will remain the same. Apple hasn't attempted to change xCode's desktop functionality to iOS.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Is there still someone out there buying overaged, underpowered, and completely overpriced Mac Pros?

At this point it's probably just people who have catastrophic hardware failures, and people who don't follow the market like most here do.