Circuits in Apple's iPhone charger are 'surprisingly complex and innovative'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I dunno about the 85% claim, but this thread says it's all normal.

For devices earlier than the Magic Trackpad. But that's what I'm using. :I miss you, confused emoticon:

Good to have confirmation of the alkaline calibration point, though.

• Reply 22 of 50
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by signal View Post

You get one free with every iPhone.

Yeah you get your mustard free with your iPhone but if you lose it it's hotdog time when buy it from apple then.

• Reply 23 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah you get your mustard free with your iPhone but if you lose it it's hotdog time when buy it from apple then.

Your vague and somewhat incorrect analogy is making me hungry for food I don't eat.

• Reply 24 of 50
    bobby132bobby132 Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I dunno about the 85% claim, but this thread says it's all normal.

That thread is referring to the fact that the battery gauges that are calibrated for alkaline cells will indicate less than 100% when using fully charged NiMH cells; this is correct.  However, this has nothing to do with how fully NiMH chargers can charge NiMH cells.  The statement made in the post by [email protected] is incorrect.

• Reply 25 of 50
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

This is good information, especially if you're buying a second-hand iPhone from ebay.  Some sellers/re-sellers bundle in crappy, third-party chargers, which have been rumored to mess up the battery, or even cause over-heating.

• Reply 26 of 50
    jbfromozjbfromoz Posts: 91member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

WOW, talk about a cutting-edge, innovative company!! They use mustard seeds and rice as charger components. I've heard of an electric sparking pickle and a potato powering a light bulb but grains and seeds regulating hundreds of volts in a power adapter?....who woulda thunk?

It's not that special really, and still hybrid technology relying on grid connect. They can't get enough watts out of the rice with the internal processing to completely replace the AC, watch for when they go totally fusion and release all of the energy from a single grain of rice, That will be the product to see...

• Reply 27 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For devices earlier than the Magic Trackpad. But that's what I'm using.

I use a Magic Trackpad and the Apple charger with the batteries that came with it, and they always fully charge, it says 100% battery level when I pop in newly charged batteries into the trackpad about once a week.

• Reply 28 of 50
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    [QUOTE]Shirriff found that Apple's new and improve prongs are considerably more difficult to remove than [B]counterfeit devices and even Samsung's chargers[/B].[/QUOTE]

There's a difference? (wink)
  • Reply 29 of 50
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I think you will find that all NiMH chargers can only charge to 80% of the capacity of an alkaline cell, mainly because the voltage of an alkaline in 1.5 volts and that of a NiMH cell is 1.2 volts, which is about 80% of the voltage.

FYI Charge quantity  is NOT equal to Voltage.

• Reply 30 of 50
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

This is precisely why I buy Apple accessory products for my Apple products. Quality & Innovation. Even when Apple isn't pushed to give you more. I bought several of these chargers at $29.95 for the family a while back and they still work well. People at the time these chargers came out, complained it was a ripoff for a simple charger. Well, now we know for sure it wasn't a simple charger. It is a premium design and I'll alway be willing to pay more for premium and innovative Apple products or from any other company with an Apple reputation.

• Reply 31 of 50
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Because the brains needed to design it were completely free! They didn't even have to make any prototypes, invest in manufacturing processes, nothing! The price Apple pay is always just the cost of the parts, nothing else! They don't even have to spend time testing these things!

On the other hand: No other company spends anything on R&D! The R is observe Apple's successful products, and the D consists of price fixing and avoiding litigation!

/sarc

So um just not all profit for anyone really. We probably pay too much. Noone pays enough though. Otherwise those factories wouldn't be in china now, would they? The devaluing of design into "everything is just made from parts that already exist" is the logic of a fool.

Wrong reply.  The correct response to someone whining about too high a "markup" is not to suggest that the markup is not as large as suggested.  The correct response is that it's nobody's business but Apple's and the willing buyer's whether the price is fair.

• Reply 32 of 50
    tunetune Posts: 91member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Sorry... have to do the obligatory "Now wait for Samescam to copy the charger exactly, and say it was just a natural evolution and not copying".

$50 that Samsung will insert a mustard seed onto their circuit board thinking that's what Apple was doing.  :)

Meanwhile Samsung is getting published in Science Magazine for pioneering work on graphene transistors which have 100 times the computing power of today's silicon. But good job on the charger - atta boy Apple.

• Reply 33 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Meanwhile Samsung is getting published in Science Magazine for pioneering work on graphene transistors which have 100 times the computing power of today's silicon. But good job on the charger - atta boy Apple.

So you're saying that Samsung Electronics could learn a thing or two from their science division instead of copying Apple's stuff??  I totally agree!!

• Reply 34 of 50
    caldencalden Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is blatant copyright infringement! Samsung should sue over this! All Apple did was change the color of the…

Oh, wait.

On a more on-topic note, hey, Apple, how about a recall and replacement of the AA chargers you make? The batteries only ever charge to 60-80%.

I think all AA battery chargers are bad. Do you ever get a full charge.

• Reply 35 of 50
    caldencalden Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So you're saying that Samsung Electronics could learn a thing or two from their science division instead of copying Apple's stuff??  I totally agree!!

I can't believe Apple is still suing Samsung over their Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet. I mean do people actually buy those things. Apple owns the market why do they care about a product that's not selling. Especially when Samsung makes so many of the internals for Apple's iProducts. Can't these two just forget about it. I really don't see how anybody could mistake an ugly Samsung tablet  for a iPad anyway, stupid lawsuit, all of them stupid. 

• Reply 36 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    calden wrote: »
    I can't believe Apple is still suing Samsung over their Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet. I mean do people actually buy those things. Apple owns the market why do they care about a product that's not selling.

I see. So if a robber breaks into your house and steals your TV, you shouldn't bother prosecuting because you're not using it any more.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I guess that's why they sell them at 500% margins, must be the surprisingly complex and innovative electronics. Pass the mustard please.

Good to see a consumer bitching about great quality products.

We could do with a lot less of these, couldn't we?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I use a Magic Trackpad and the Apple charger with the batteries that came with it, and they always fully charge, it says 100% battery level when I pop in newly charged batteries into the trackpad about once a week.

You seriously need to take a screenshot of your old multi-coloured signature and add it to each post.

They look so bland these days. ;-)

• Reply 38 of 50
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Great design by a great company.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Typo: "destruction of the charter". If you're going to do a copy and paste of someone else's article, get it right. The original article is well worth a read. Apple has a long tradition of better than average power supply design (but sometimes faulty implementation). The original 128K Mac was known for a blue smoke display, followed by the nothing works feature. This was in part because Jobs hated fans, and a small error in soldering (or possibly overheating) could cause a dry solder joint in the flyback transformer that added unbudgeted heat, resulting in further failure.

• Reply 40 of 50

I made a teardown video of this charger over a year ago and it's garnered me more hits than any other video I've ever created:

Recently I was contacted by a blogger who specializes in these kinds of chargers and he noted how the construction was ecellent, robust, and using the finest materials. Apple has really done their dilligence with this and it's no wonder they charge $20 for it. 

I wonder if anyone knows how much wattage this thing can put out. Could you power a USB hard drive from it?