Google rumored to launch Nexus 7 with 3G in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not asking lawyers to ban a rumor. I'm suggesting that Apple will probably add the new Nexus 7 to their lawsuit if it does, in fact, exist and if Samsung has not removed all the infringing technologies (and given their recent actions, it's unlikely that they would have removed all the infringing technologies).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Nexus 7 is made by Asus, not Samsung

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Nexus 7 is sold exclusively by Google right? Is there any Asus branding on it?

AI: "Asus is said to be ramping up production of the new device...."

This reading-with-eyes-open thing is so over rated. 

I don't like Samsung but since found guilty and it's in so many people's minds, they now seem to be one that will always be guilty regardless of who Google partners with.

• Reply 22 of 49

The market needs differentiated products. I think a 3G enabled Nexus 7 would provide that.  I would like to see Google sell it for $300 with 16gb.  A slight markup on a $20 component unlike others who charge an whopping extra $129 for 3G enabled tablet.

• Reply 23 of 49

If they can keep the price down, it would make absolute sense. It would put a device that is already far ahead of its' competitors (face it. It doesn't even compete with the iPad) even more ahead and give it a greater appeal. A cellular option means that people who need cellular for travel, but want something smaller or cheaper than the iPad will have a good option.

• Reply 24 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The branding of 'Nexus' devices is confusing. Different manufacturers make and sell Nexus products - which is a crazy way to do things. For example, the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung.

Yeah I think Nexus even makes shampoo image

My bad that is Nexxus.

• Reply 25 of 49
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    jragosta wrote: »
    If that's the case, I withdraw my statement.
    The branding of 'Nexus' devices is confusing. Different manufacturers make and sell Nexus products - which is a crazy way to do things. For example, the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung.

No, Nexus devices are only sold by Google
  • Reply 26 of 49

Slightly off-topic, but I think the real threat for Google and Samsung will be the rumored new Nokia Lumias (820 and 920; see, e.g., http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57505226-94/new-nokia-lumia-920-820-to-feature-wireless-charging/). Granted, they're only phones initially, but I would not be surprised to see a tablet soon.

They look stunning. They may even end up affecting Apple's phone/tablet sales in the Windows world (of course, one can always reasonably expect that Ballmer and Co. will quite royally mess up the interface).

• Reply 27 of 49
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Google is going to release the nexus with 3G also a rumor.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

3G?  I'm sure Apple will have 4G/LTE is my guess.  I'll bet Apple at least gives you either a 5 or 8 MP camera on the other side to take photos and videos, which SCHMOOGLE left out to save money. The Nexus 7 is almost useless.  16G on their top of the line product, no camera to take photos/videos, no cellular.  I don't get their mentality. I think they put it out to get attention instead of waiting longer to put something more useful and obviously more expensive.  The 8G model is practically useless for a tablet, but it gets people's attention because it was only $200.  Freaking Google. Google should stay away from developing an OS and hardware, they should focus their energy on making YouTube better and their search engine better.  Google should maybe license the Lexus Nexus taxonomy for the internet search engine and come out with more useful search operators.

• Reply 28 of 49

I don't think a smaller version of the IPad would mean a budget tablet.
  • Reply 29 of 49

It kind of stinks for those who already bought the Wifi  only version if they want 3 or 4G, LTE. It's funny how many discussions people have over "rumored devices". I'm glad you put that in Thanks

• Reply 30 of 49

Why do your posts contain yellow? Are you copying and pasting them from somewhere else?

• Reply 31 of 49

This doesn't have a rear facing camera does it?

• Reply 32 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I think Nexus even makes shampoo image

My bad that is Nexxus.

As far as I'm concerned, I would use Nexxus shampoo before I buy a Nexus tablet.  What's even more confusing about Google's naming convention for Android OS releases is all of the various product names for all of the Android products.  Talk about confusing the public.  Samsung is just as bad.  Samsung Galaxy S III.  WTF?   Just trying to decide what product to compare against Apple products for price comparison is just confusing from even the desktop and laptop systems by the Windows box mfg.  Out of shear model confusion on WIndows and Android products, is enough for me to rather use Apple.  I'd rather spend my time doing something else than trying to figure out what computer/idevice to buy.  

The only thing I can see Apple doing from a tablet perspective is offering 3 different sizes.  Large, medium and small for different markets.  I can see a 5 inch model, a 7+ inch model and a 10inch model.

• Reply 33 of 49

I wish, Apple made a 7 inch model with special software that did exactly what auto makers have in their in dash navigation systems, but had an easy pop out/lock system design so we can also use them as a Tablet, and then when a new model comes out, we can upgrade our navigation systems in the car.  

• Reply 34 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

So let me get this straight, Apple is planning to release a iPad Mini supposedly, that would with no doubt have 3G. Apple is rumored to hold the event in October a seperate one from the iPhone.

Google is going to release the nexus with 3G also a rumor.

Although this sounds odd that both these rumors would coincide, it wouldn't  surprise if Google tried to beat Apple to it?

It's important to beat Apple to it because in about 3-4 years, some Einstein will post a Wikipedia link to the dates both were first announced, and if Google's 3G tablet was announced just a month before Apple's iPad "Mini" they can claim LOL @ Apple copied Google and say, "I rest my case."

• Reply 35 of 49
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's even more confusing about Google's naming convention for Android OS releases is all of the various product names for all of the Android products.  Talk about confusing the public.  Samsung is just as bad

Where is the confusion on OS names and product names? Or do you think that OS X namig is also confusing?

• Reply 36 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

The market needs differentiated products. I think a 3G enabled Nexus 7 would provide that.  I would like to see Google sell it for $300 with 16gb.  A slight markup on a $20 component unlike others who charge an whopping extra $129 for 3G enabled tablet.

Are you kidding? One tablet will provide that? If you truly believe the market needs differentiated products, you'd talking about the RIM PlayBook, the HP TouchPads, the Kindle Fire, or plethora of Windows-based tablets made since the days of Windows 3.11, all the way through the upcoming post-iPad generation of Windows 8 and RT tablets. But I'm sure you're pretending the tablet universe is just Apple vs. Google. But even if I were to indulge your false dilemma, and ignore all the differentiated products out there, there are still a lot of choices. You can buy a ThinkPad 10" Tablet or Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android and 3G radios today. In fact, the 7" Galaxy Tab with 16GB and 3G sells for $299 (with data contract). No, to me, a 3G Nexus 7 isn't differentiation: it's more of the same.

• Reply 37 of 49

Dear AppleInsider:

When you're posting screen shots, please put some white space between different screen shots so that it's clear that you're posting two portrait screen shots side by side as opposed to one landscape screen shot.

Sure, you could study the screen shots and eventually figure out that there are two sets of navigation bars on the bottom (meaning that it's two portrait screenshots side by side). But, really, you'd be doing your readers a favor if you just spaced them a few pixels apart.

Thanks,

A loyal reader.

• Reply 38 of 49

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

When you're posting screen shots, please put some white space between different screen shots so that it's clear that you're posting two portrait screen shots side by side as opposed to one landscape screen shot.

If you have HoverZoom (or clicked it), you'll notice the image is actually just… one image. Two portrait shots combined in one single image file. I find that a little weird, myself.

• Reply 39 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Where is the confusion on OS names and product names? Or do you think that OS X namig is also confusing?

Perhaps more so since Google will probably never run out of names of sweet deserts where as the large cats are in very limited supply. Now Apple has to recycle names under synonyms. (not sure how Kodiak started it out but maybe they should have stayed with that theme of fearsome wild animals). But they still painted themselves into a corner with the X = 10 in Roman Numerals.

• Reply 40 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps more so since Google will probably never run out of names of sweet deserts where as the large cats are in very limited supply. Now Apple has to recycle names under synonyms. (not sure how Kodiak started it out but maybe they should have stayed with that theme of fearsome wild animals). But they still painted themselves into a corner with the X = 10 in Roman Numerals.

Google's nomenclature is silly but at least it has a pattern. Each desert starts with the letter of the alphabet. That makes it much harder to continue because there are so few for most letters and probably none, at least in English, for some letters.

Google has also choose this for the whole of Android whilst Apple is only using it for Mac OS X, or in other words Mac OS 10.x. Once Apple states they are introducing Mac OS XI (which I think will probably be written as OS 11*) I doubt anyone will expect them to use the cat naming convention.

I guess Google will just change it MS-style since they've done so already

• 1.0 Astro
    • 1.1 Bender

• 1.5 Cupcake
    • 1.6 Donut
    • 2.0 Eclair
    • 2.2 Froyo
    • 2.3 Gingerbread
    • 3.0 Honeycomb
    • 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    • 4.1 Jelly Bean

* I'd just prefer they call it Mac OS and leave it as that just as iDevices use iOS.