First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 221 of 242
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Bug: When playing internet radio the dropdown play button doesn't work. Is anyone else having this issue?

I wish I could reproduce it, but I don't see the Internet Radio:

• Reply 222 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

You won't see internet radio with the sidebar on. Turn it off (Option + Command + S) and you'll find it under Music. I'm not following on the 'dropdown play button' though? My play button works fine but I may be misunderstanding.

Edit: Scratch that. Just turn radio on in your prefs ;)

• Reply 223 of 242
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    You won't see internet radio with the sidebar on. Turn it off (Option + Command + S) and you'll find it under Music. I'm not following on the 'dropdown play button' though? My play button works fine but I may be misunderstanding.

Edit: Scratch that. Just turn radio on in your prefs ;)

In the bottom blue bar the play button there does not seem to work? The bottom right section next to the text of the radio station.

philboogie wrote: »
    I wish I could reproduce it, but I don't see the Internet Radio:

"Radio" is Internet Radio.
  • Reply 224 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Ah. I just use the main Play/Pause buttons at the top. You seem to have created a playlist, rather than just double clicking on the radio station broadcast.

• Reply 225 of 242
    Ah. I just use the main Play/Pause buttons at the top. You seem to have created a playlist, rather than just double clicking on the radio station broadcast.

Yeah... Because for Di.FM Premium you download the special URL .pls file so it goes under Internet Songs playlist automatically.

That's alright, thanks all for the friendly responses. It is quite attractive but I'm not sure as to the overall goals of iTunes 11.
  • Reply 226 of 242

Just set them as a compilation and they will appear in the same album.

• Reply 227 of 242

Has anyone figured out why, in Artist List mode, sometimes iTunes displays the artist name underneath each song and sometimes it doesn't?  I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.  It changes from playlist to playlist and sometimes even within the same playlist some albums will have the artist name and some won't.  (For the record I'd like to have the artist name displayed.)

• Reply 228 of 242
    sjksjk Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by guapochino View Post

Just set them as a compilation and they will appear in the same album.

Which post were you replying to?

• Reply 229 of 242

Originally Posted by sjk View Post

Which post were you replying to?

We really need to get rid of that reply button…

• Reply 230 of 242
    You won't see internet radio with the sidebar on. Turn it off (Option + Command + S) and you'll find it under Music.

Indeed, they simply moved it to the right, alongside where the Songs, Albums et cetera is. Thanks.
  • Reply 231 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmitryB View Post

Has anyone figured out why, in Artist List mode, sometimes iTunes displays the artist name underneath each song and sometimes it doesn't?  I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.  It changes from playlist to playlist and sometimes even within the same playlist some albums will have the artist name and some won't.  (For the record I'd like to have the artist name displayed.)

From what I can tell iTunes 11 does this when the Album Artist differs from the Artist.  Even if only one track on the album has a different Artist name, the Artist will be displayed for each track.

Makes sense really.  Why list The Beach Boys under each track on Pet Sounds?  Listing the artist is very helpful though with a compilation album such as a movie soundtrack.

• Reply 232 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

From what I can tell iTunes 11 does this when the Album Artist differs from the Artist.  Even if only one track on the album has a different Artist name, the Artist will be displayed for each track.

Makes sense really.  Why list The Beach Boys under each track on Pet Sounds?  Listing the artist is very helpful though with a compilation album such as a movie soundtrack.

That would make sense!  But sadly isn't the case.  For example, on Madonna's "Like a Prayer" the Album Artist is listed as Madonna, but one of the songs is listed as "Madonna & Prince" - and yet the view does not include a second line to highlight the fact that it's a duet.  I also recently bought the compilation of all the Bond movie songs, where every single track has a different Artist (and Album Artist simply says Various Artists.)  And yet iTunes does not show the second line to help identify who sings which song.  I've found that to be the case with multiple albums.  Coincidentally, Madonna's "True Blue," which features no duets and does not include any secondary artists listed in the Artist column, does show the second line under the song titles.  That's why I can't figure out what the program is reacting to and why it's showing different information.

• Reply 233 of 242
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dmitryb wrote: »
    That would make sense!  But sadly isn't the case.  For example, on Madonna's "Like a Prayer" the Album Artist is listed as Madonna, but one of the songs is listed as "Madonna & Prince" - and yet the view does not include a second line to highlight the fact that it's a duet.  I also recently bought the compilation of all the Bond movie songs, where every single track has a different Artist (and Album Artist simply says Various Artists.)  And yet iTunes does not show the second line to help identify who sings which song.  I've found that to be the case with multiple albums.  Coincidentally, Madonna's "True Blue," which features no duets and does not include any secondary artists listed in the Artist column, does show the second line under the song titles.  That's why I can't figure out what the program is reacting to and why it's showing different information.

Could it be the field: 'Sort Artist'? Enter something obscure, like, say, Android, and then play that track. See what it displays...
  • Reply 234 of 242

It is very strange to see that the reactions on iTunes 11 are so silently disregarded. On the Maps issue there was not even installed by most of the users and continuous coverage was going on day by day.

For sure the iTunes is far more important than Maps but Apple insider is keeping silence.

There are many users protesting on forums on the features that were iconic for iTunes providing in the same time good functionality and pleasant graphical aspect. 

Maybe some personal preferences of some are in the favour of new iTunes but these were fulfilled also in the old version. What was happening now was that beside the deletion of main features, the interface customization was reduced almost to 0. Now everybody must enjoy the preference of the new iTunes "genius".

It was supposed that Apple Insider is an objective and constructive observer of the Apple user world but maybe I'm wrong.

• Reply 235 of 242

Originally Posted by Lucser View Post

It is very strange to see that the reactions on iTunes 11 are so silently disregarded. On the Maps issue there was not even installed by most of the users and continuous coverage was going on day by day.

Probably because they're nothing at all alike and received reactions that were wholly different.

For sure the iTunes is far more important than Maps but Apple insider is keeping silence.

About what is there to report?

There are many users protesting on forums on the features that were iconic for iTunes providing in the same time good functionality and pleasant graphical aspect.

For a good time, call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

…the interface customization was reduced almost to 0.

Increased dramatically, actually. Removing Cover Flow ? "reduced almost to zero".

Now everybody must enjoy the preference of the new iTunes "genius".

Nope. Don't use Genius, never have; doubt I ever will.

• Reply 236 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Could it be the field: 'Sort Artist'? Enter something obscure, like, say, Android, and then play that track. See what it displays...

Once I rebooted my computer (for reasons unrelated to iTunes) - it does seem to have adjusted the second line, as you mentioned above, to reflect if one of the songs has a different artist from the rest.  So it doesn't reflect changes in real time (which is a bug, I suppose.)

• Reply 237 of 242
    lucser wrote: »
    Maybe some personal preferences of some are in the favour of new iTunes but these were fulfilled also in the old version. What was happening now was that beside the deletion of main features, the interface customization was reduced almost to 0. Now everybody must enjoy the preference of the new iTunes "genius".

It was supposed that Apple Insider is an objective and constructive observer of the Apple user world but maybe I'm wrong.

AppleInsider news and forums ~objective~ and ~constructive~? HeHe, nice one, good joke. :D

...Wait, you were serious... :???:

iOS Maps a disaster.
    iTunes11 somewhat dubious
    iMac shipping totally messed up
    iPad mini screen dodgy
    iPad 4 still heavier and chunkier than iPad 2
    iPhone 5... actually OK, see Maps above though.
    iPod touch rollout stuttered
    Mac Pro MIA
    MBPR 13" and 15" still somewhat laggy in some areas of the OS

I suppose the above is only ~subjective~ :D
  • Reply 238 of 242

@Tallest Skil Regarding the maps I think that was too much fuss. It is not too different from Google Maps from my point of view. It is possible that I'm wrong as in the country that I live now Google maps was unusable (no directions or route available) but Maps coulld calculate a route. Anyhow for real navigation I use a dedicated GPS. What I was trying to say was that for so little was so much noise and almost immediately after release as maybe not so many users start to use it, that was somehow strange. But again, maybe I'm wrong.

"About what is there to report?"

There are many to complain from the Coverflow feature to Duplicates. There are many problems described also here in these forums and there are workarounds for many of them but as it say that make it simpler was the idea why to spend additional clicks for usual operations. There are many problems with the libraries, lost content or artwork. For sure most of them could be solved with a lot of time wasted. etc etc. What I was willing to say is that the reality is not so pink. There are many users with real complains and just disregarding this is not OK. Just praising what is good in the new version without commenting on what was good and lost from the previous version is also not OK.

"For a good time, call 1-800-MY-APPLE."

Not everybody is living in the USA! I take it anyhow as a joke as I'm pretty sure that even the biggest Apple fanboy it is very sure that calling apple for a complain will help it in any way. On the other hand I have the experience to call to the service center ~5 times and even if I must admit that finally my problems were solved this was far from being easy. Each call was for ~45min-1 hour and most of the time was spent with really stupid explanations and excuses. As I said I'm at least happy that finally problems were solved.

"Increased dramatically, actually. Removing Cover Flow ? "reduced almost to zero"."

I really don't see how was increasing + the Coverflow was a major feature in the previous versions. At least, for the ones that don't like it was possible to disable it and this is customization. Now you don't have many options about how a playlist or songlist is displayed. Same goes for columns and sorting feature. It is true that many of us have very different ways to arrange these lists and to choose how to be displayed and to provide the means so that users could find their preferences fulfilled = Customization.

"Nope. Don't use Genius, never have; doubt I ever will."

I don't use it either and this is why I wrote it without capitalization. I was just saying that somebody seems to think about itself that is such a genius that his ideas and preferences will suit everybody so. About the Genius I must to admit that I could not understand the use of such feature. I must say that I still like to rely on my own brain/logic/memory.

In the end I feel that I must to apologize for my English. It is not my language and it seems that I could not express what I want in a more clear and logical way.

• Reply 239 of 242

I'd love to be able to download iTunes 11 to check it out.....BUT that app store is offline for updates. What gives?

• Reply 240 of 242

When I click on my device listed in iTunes 11 - on the left side in the listings of devices connected, then click the TV Shows button to see which TV Shows I want to download to any of my devices (iPod, iPad3, iPhones5), it only lists the first 6-7 TV Show titles, out of easliy 200+ full shows that I have multiple seasons on. 

The ONLY way to "scroll down" to other TV Shows is to press the down arrow, BUT, you can't see what the TV show is, just the Seasons because the scroll area of listed TV Shows does NOT advance in the window.  Only the "Seasons available" advances.  In other words... It doesn't show what show it is on, but it does show the seasons from the "mystery TV Show" selected (which you can't see).

If you're like me and named your Seasons Episode: "Episode 1, Episode 2, etc..." you're really screwed!

Honest to God, this is such a BASIC yet MAJOR function - to pick what you want on your device... how on Earth could anyone possibly NOT have beta tested this??  How could anyone with just basic knowledge have NOT found that in under 45 seconds flat - the time it took me to find it.  I'm just a record producer - NOT a computer whiz kid and even I found it.

Really??

UPDATE:  Hey guys??  Anyone home?? When filling out a report via the web site... It asks "What version of itunes are you using?", hummmmmm the problem I am having is with iTunes 11 .... WHICH IS NOT LISTED AS AN OPTION TO CHOOSE!  Smooth move.  <lol>

Did the dude who beta tested iTunes 11 who didn't catch that the TV Shows do not advance in the device window...  also setup this "report a problem" part of the web site leaving off the very version that is causing the problem?  If so, this guy should be fired.  So no one is able to tell you guys which iTunes is causing this problem?  Or is everyone choosing 10.6.3 (the last version) sending tech support on a wild goose chase because there's no way to choose iTunes 11? Brilliant!