Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.

I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive. It’s solar powered and waterproof to deeper than I ever swim but looks like a classic mechanically wound watch. It's perfect for keeping to schedule during rehearsals where I can grab a near instant glance while conducting, singing or playing. My iPhone is always with me but smart phones are not practical for this sort thing.

• Reply 102 of 127

I can see this device being a bluetooth enabled device that would allow the user to keep their phone in their pocket, yet take calls, send and receive texts, get directions, siri answers, reminders, you name it. New apps would be developed to interface. 

The smartphone has caused a human interface problem. Namely, everyone is living with their heads down looking at their phones. Put the information on the wrist and allow folks to grab the information at a glance. 

Great idea. Only apple can execute it in a way that 'just works' and is elegant. 

• Reply 103 of 127
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Interestingly. I finally decided to get my very expensive watch that I haven't worn in years serviced so I start wearing it again. I just got fed up with using my phone as a timepiece, not to mention to also stop looking like some dork fishing for a phone when my wrist would have sufficed.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

No offense to anyone...but I think the Nano on the wrist looks kind of goofy and not for me! :)

I also think it's going to be a lot thinner and more elegant the the photo above. Too clunky looking for Apple

Wonder Woman's pre-ordered two.  ("Bullets and Bracelets," y'know!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnemani View Post

I was like you and did not wear a watch for almost 14yrs. Then last year i got a watch to help me during my swimming (I wear glasses and couldn't see the time in the pool clock). 

But then I realized how much more convenient the watch is over the cellphone. It is a flick of a wrist instead of digging something up from somewhere. I can see the  time while driving the bike or the car, in a theater, while playing some sport when I leave the cellphone in the locker, etc. etc. Now i wear it all the time except in bed. It is waaaaay better than cell phones for time. 

Time slaves still missing their wrist-shackles after over a decade.  Extreme case of Stockholm syndrome, that.....  image

• Reply 105 of 127

I like agree with what you're saying, and I want to take it to the big picture:

Computers themselves:

1. Invention of the computer - Size of a room.

2. Miniaturization of computers - Desktop to laptop to tablet to smart phone, next wearable and after that next nano   

computers (probably inside us, just would hate that myself, because I would hat to have to see the bill to get them installed or removed if they break!)

How we interact with them:

1. Tactile - Keyboard, mouse, gestures

2. Voice - Siri  (it still needs work, but it is getting closer)

Future

3. Augmented reality - Google Glasses / Contacts, next Holograms w/ gestures

4. Virtual reality - Neural Interface

What is after that -  ? Trans-humanism -  Cyborgs, AI

I think that the watch and other wearable computers are a good idea, and part of this transition to putting computers out of sight out of mind.  I only worry they will only be here for a blink of an eye.  I think Apple could do it really well, just are they going to put something out into the market if it might be gone in just a few years, or months?

Remember we have went from an iMac in 1998 to an iPhone in 2007

I do see it happening as a way to replace our phones.  Just I can't figure out a good way for the camera... any ideas?

• Reply 106 of 127
    Perfect killer app for curved glass.

Apple seems to always know what materials best fit particular situations.

And what methods of interface to compliment those materials.

I can see this product saving lives as well with built in heart monitor, auto-911 dial if heart stops, etc.

It can also be perfect for pedometer, etc., perhaps working perfectly with Nike apps, etc.

At first, I thought "a watch? Really?"

But Apple is a philosophy about making people's lives better, easier, and more enjoyable.

This fits right in.

So will the TV, etc.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    Ugly looking, stupid thought, why would this be better( in total)?
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Apple must be experimenting with all sorts of tech like wearable computing and curved glass, but this sounds like a garbage projects to make sure employees don't leak info before putting them on real projects.
  • Reply 109 of 127

Crazy thing is iWatch is owned and used by another company already. The other company is going to make a lot more selling the trademark if Apple goes ahead.

• Reply 110 of 127

Originally Posted by r46580 View Post

Crazy thing is iWatch is owned and used by another company already. The other company is going to make a lot more selling the trademark if Apple goes ahead.

Who says Apple would even use that name?

• Reply 111 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.

Wouldn't this be exactly the reason Apple might take interest? The watch, as we've known it, has become obsolete. That does not mean that nothing useful can be done from a wrist based device... Most people I know don't actually *like* "permanently carrying" a cell phone on their body. A watch that could deliver text messages, incoming call/voicemail alerts, reminders, etc. seems like something that could be extremely appealing.

The artist's rendering is lol-worthy though.

• Reply 112 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who says Apple would even use that name?

They would, if they're smart. You "watch" TV. Here's the remote. You want to keep an eye on your devices. Makes perfect sense from a branding perspective.

• Reply 113 of 127

Originally Posted by aminorsixth View Post

They would, if they're smart. 

Why? Who is anyone but Apple to tell them what name to use for a product?

You "watch" TV. Here's the remote.

… Wearing a television remote on your arm… Nonsense.

You want to keep an eye on your devices. 

Makes perfect sense from a branding perspective.

From a lame pun perspective.

• Reply 114 of 127

If anything, Apple would go after the Fitbit market, not the watch market.

Also, it's exceedingly unwise to use an unattributed photo as your lead image for this story if AI is even remotely concerned with copyright infringement claims.

• Reply 115 of 127
    mgsarch wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be exactly the reason Apple might take interest? The watch, as we've known it, has become obsolete. That does not mean that nothing useful can be done from a wrist based device... Most people I know don't actually *like* "permanently carrying" a cell phone on their body. A watch that could deliver text messages, incoming call/voicemail alerts, reminders, etc. seems like something that could be extremely appealing.

The artist's rendering is lol-worthy though.
    Do you realize the iPhone is the main cause of the decrease of watches?, why reverse its goal?
  • Reply 116 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Well it ain'ta Rolex with gold and diamonds... more close to those geeky pocket protector doodads. 

I'm sure there will be companies that will take one of these things and do their little customization and add diamonds, etc.  like they do with iPads, iPhones, iPods, and other Apple products.

• Reply 117 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by r46580 View Post

But that was a TV news program wasn't it?   They might have to see if there is an infringement since it's not a competing product.  Do you know how many companies market something with a name like Ninja?  I don't know if Apple needs to get permission, but they would be smart in making sure they don't get involved in a lawsuit over it if they do call it an iWatch.

• Reply 118 of 127

Not really feeling the whole iWatch thing, I just don't think smart watches will fly. But if anyone can make it fly it will be Apple.

Even if it's a successful product I don't think it can match what the iPhone, iPad(or iPod in past year) are to Apple, something more along the lines of a popular accessory like the current Apple TV or Smart Cover. But seems like everyone is trying to build this up as the next big thing, which will just bring out the media morons when the iWatch doesn't sell 50 million it's first quarter.

What exactly is the usage model everyone is thinking of that makes an iWatch so desirable? 

• Reply 119 of 127
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    While it does have some elegant aspects (and I realize that's just an artist's conception and not anything official from Apple), it also looks like a restraint, which in a way, is exactly what such a watch would be.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    All wrist watches are uncomfortable.