iOS 8 first look video: Installing a third-party keyboard on iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dunks wrote: »
    I genuinely don't understand why people are fanatical about swype-type keyboards. It seems to me that dragging a finger across glass is slower than two-thumb pecking. It also gives the predictive text software less information to work with (eg. one tap per letter), which makes it more likely to suggest incorrect words. What am I not getting? The only thing that really bugs me about the iPhone keyboard is how easily the dictation button can unintentionally triggered.

I've often wondered the same thing, but I've watched those that have mastered the swiping method and have been amazed at how fast they can type, and at the accuracy.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    I've been using Swype for couple of years - yes, yes I know on the evil Android platform. Personally I found this to be a great method as I found the transition from clicky buttons to touch screens very frustrating - no feedback bar tiny haptic on the touch screens. Now I no longer tap on a 'nothingy' surface & happily swype around. I'm pretty sure there are various vids out there showing how swyping / predictive swyping is considerably quicker than standard texting but then again I'm sure there will be vids out there showing the reverse. At the end of the day it's good that the choice of keyboards is now coming to Apple. In my view, obviously too late but hey ho
  • Reply 43 of 47
    I hate to break it to everyone but I think I remember seeing somewhere where numeric keypad will not be accepted as a keyboard by apple. Meaning Apple themselves wont allow that as a type of keyboard. I am not sure of this reason but I remember an official document from apple stating that they cannot create a numeric keyboard ????
  • Reply 44 of 47
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Was it just me or did every one else see a Microsoft Cortana ad before the video started? 

Seems to me that the swipe deal would be more efficient if lifting your finger ended the word and starting the next swipe locked it in withe the space in between so that you didn't have to type the space bar between every word. 

• Reply 45 of 47
    I love SwiftKey keyboard. This is a great addition to iPhone. Can't wait to use this on my new phone.
  • Reply 46 of 47

Looks like Adaptxt has a glide feature too: http://youtu.be/T5nTXeZMB4o