Apple's iPhone 6s to feature always-on 'Hey Siri' functionality, source says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I use Siri often and find it very useful in the car, but I look forward to improvements. Only today I had a tedious conversation with Siri where I wanted to know the opening times of my local Ducati dealership and all she wanted to talk about was 'you Cathy'. Wouldn't shut up about it no matter how many times I told her otherwise.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I use Siri often and find it very useful in the car, but I look forward to improvements. Only today I had a tedious conversation with Siri where I wanted to know the opening times of my local Ducati dealership and all she wanted to talk about was 'you Cathy'. Wouldn't shut up about it no matter how many times I told her otherwise.

You can train her to learn new words

• Reply 43 of 67
    This one function I never use, as I'm anal about prolonging the battery life on my iPhone. I really hope the switch to turn it off is still in the settings menu.

:-|

M.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    The reason "Hey Siri" works so well on the Apple Watch is because the watch microphone is not "listening" unless my wrist is lifted.  This is like an extra switch, so no false triggering of "Hey Siri."  Brilliant Apple Engineers!

Situation to imagine:

i had my iPad and iPhone on my desk... Then ask.. Hey Siri on my Apple Watch.. All will be activated...

Imagine.. People asking Siri on Mac...
  • Reply 45 of 67
    mejsric wrote: »
    Situation to imagine...
    I expect all devices are activated when you say Hey Siri but it will reroute to the device closest to you (ie. which one detects your voice the loudest) and have that device carry out the task.

Either that or all will activate simultaneously but only the right device will perform the task. After all, our devices "talk" constantly via Continuity.

Having to specify which Siri you’re talking to seems clunky and against what Apple usually goes for, IMO.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    I expect it will. Be an ultra low power process not using the main processor.

Possible Cirrus Logic new Smart Codec with Ultra low power DSP with embedded software to detect wake up phrase.

See details how Apple uses 4 microphones and a secondary low power processor to activate wake up while main processor is sleeping.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20150106085
  • Reply 47 of 67

Why don't you use Siri?  It's quite handy at times. 

• Reply 48 of 67
    Having the Okay google on my android is amazing when I am driving. I can't wait for this to come to iPhones. Much safer to drive with. (I refuse to pay ~500 for an after market stereo for carplay/android auto,)

you don't need CarPlay to do this. Siri Eyes Free.

also, $500 for a good after market double din head unit is not excessive.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Also cue up the posts from those that previously thought this feature was a bad idea, but now that Apple is doing it think it's a great one.

can you show us some of these? or are you just making that up?
  • Reply 50 of 67

Perhaps it is just me but Siri is the first thing I switch off on my phone.  I am sure that there are people who can find a use for it but for my way of using a phone there is nothing that makes me want to tell the world (ok, other people within earshot) what I'm looking for or wanting to do.

Imagine the reaction of people close to me if I'd just arrived  at London's Heathrow Airport and said,

"Hey Siri, tell me how to get to the Bombe at Bletchley Park?"

This is not an exploding device but a device used to break German Enigma codes in WW2. But the spoken word can easily be misinterpreted by accident and the laws of un-intended consequences take over.

• Reply 52 of 67
  • Reply 53 of 67

Explain how those are defensive posts.

There is no need to explain the obvious.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    So no more iPhones in HIPAA compliant workplaces, just like Androids were banned last year.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Great, a bunch of people in a place can have their phones activated by someone yelling "Hey, Siri!" Well, maybe movie theaters can add that before the movie starts so people will their phones still on get called out.

What would be funny is if the movie house piped "Hey Siri, turn my phone off" through the sound system.  I don't think that works to turn the phone off, though.

• Reply 56 of 67
    larryalarrya Posts: 607member
    paxman wrote: »

LOL. I get this kind of thing a lot too
  • Reply 57 of 67

Obvious dodge since neither #5 nor #23 are the least bit defensive. #5 is expressing excitement for Apple's implementation of the feature while #23 is describing the current functionality and praising it.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Explain how those are defensive posts.

In other words you have no explanation. Not one single poster put down Siri.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Hopefully, this feature can not only be turned off but really turned off so no rogue app can get access to it to listen for certain words.

Apple seems to be big on security right now, but perhaps it needs to make some forms of security hardware-based rather than software. Make it possible to block access to certain features with hardware protection rather than just software that can be bypassed.

Apple might even consider doing what some amateur radio gear does. HF transceivers ship locked so they can only transmit within the amateur radios bands, but there are times when that needs to be bypassed (MARS, shipboard use, etc.). For that the manufacturer offers a hardware tweak. Clipping a certain small resistor might, for instance, open up transmitting on any frequency.

Apple could do that in reverse. Certain 'open the case' hardware hacks could, for instance, disconnect cameras and mikes on Macs for use in secure locations.
  • Reply 60 of 67

It functions this way in iOS8.