Microsoft offering up to $250 for Apple Watch users to trade in for a Band 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,087member

Nilay Patel probably would.

Or maybe he can get $250 for his studded wristband instead.
    Who's Nilay Patel, and why should I care?
    You could Google it on Bing.
    cornchipbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 42 of 75

Nilay Patel probably would.

Or maybe he can get $250 for his studded wristband instead.
    I don't click on links without context.
    the context, obviously, being an answer the question you yourself asked.

can lead a horse to water...
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 43 of 75

gatorguy said:
    I don't click on links without context.
    He's referring to a blogger that worked for Engadget and now for the Verge. Not entirely sure the point the OP was making but I'd assume it was supposed to be making fun of him for something or other.
    the point was fairly obvious -- Natel hates the Apple Watch and would surely give it up for $250. and the photo linked explains the posted reference to his studded bracelet. it's not really making fun of him per se -- these are Natel's stated opinions.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 44 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    gatorguy said:
    He's referring to a blogger that worked for Engadget and now for the Verge. Not entirely sure the point the OP was making but I'd assume it was supposed to be making fun of him for something or other. :/
    Ah, OK. Thanks. I've heard the name, and since I have not read The Verge in ages (last I recall, it was full of self-consciously clever, cutes-y articles, that seemed to attract a very angry bunch of commenters), I'd forgotten!

I guess I could have looked it up, but was too lazy.
    He;s a flamboyant dolt; ostentatious in flaunting his idiocy.

And, that's coming from someone who was around the alternative Montreal bar scene in the 1980s and early 1990s;
     flamboyance and alternative whatever is just fantastic;
    coupling it to grandiose idiocy though grates immensely...

His "assessment" of the watch was both superficial, negative and different from well everyone.
    Even those that had reservations were a lot better at making their case than him.

• Reply 45 of 75

foggyhill said:
    Is this a joke?
    Hear about the chap that walked into a store and looked at the sales guy and said, "cleaner pad for my Microsoft Band 2?"  The sales guy replied, "that's sounds fair."
    did you hear about the guy who left a Microsoft Band 2 on his car's dash while parked on the street? somebody smashed the window, and left a second one.
    pscooter63Rayz2016cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 75
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    I don't fully understand the price distinction ... why would the larger 42mm version demand less than the smaller and less expensive 38mm version of the same watch?

Does this tell us anything about Apple sales of watches?
    Not very likely. Microsoft doesn't know Apples sales numbers...
    Well that's certainly true ... however, they must be basing the price difference on something. 
  • Reply 47 of 75
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    These "promotions" have one objective and that is to devalue competitor's products in the mind of a target audience that is likely to purchase a Microsoft product.  If Microsoft can say to a potential customer "Oh, and if you have one of those Apple Watches, we will give you what it's worth... about $250".  In the mind of the naive consumer, they think "huh, that expensive thing is only really worth $250..." at which point the sales person has prepped the consumer to hear about all the wonderful things that the Microsoft Band can do for $250.  Really it's only trying to level the playing field in the consumer's mind so they have a chance to compete at half the price.  It artificially places the Microsoft Band on the same price range of an Apple Watch (in the same league so to speak), but still sell it at half the price.  It also tells consumers that other products from FitBit are worthless and the Microsoft Band is better.  Really MS is just finding itself stuck between the two success products and trying to compete against the mindshare of both.

Really it's pretty brilliant, but it really just is proving that many customers are mindless idiots that will believe a sales pitch.
    pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 48 of 75
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL
  • Reply 49 of 75
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Hasn't anyone told Microsoft that April Fools day is April 1st.  :D
  • Reply 50 of 75
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    larrya said:
    The MS band doesn't play music and the Apple Watch doesn't have GPS.  They both suffer the same battery life and lack of water resistance.  I guess it's all just a matter of which to adorn the inside of your junk drawer with. 
    Truly dumbass remark. You obviously are in the wrong place as you appear to know nothing about Apple products. Since you have an iPhone with your Apple Watch why in the world would your watch need gps... Duh! And oh by the way, the Apple Watch is water resistant. Back to school for you....
    edited January 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 51 of 75
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,036member
    I see a pattern here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/392603/microsoft-trade-in-program-pays-you-300-to-ditch-mac/
    Microsoft offers $200 for PC trade-ins, $100 more if its a Mac

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-200-iphone-trade-in-program-goes-live/
    Microsoft offering at least $200 in credit for customers' used iPhones 4S and 5

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/microsoft-offering-350-gift-cards-nonmicrosoft-device/
    Microsoft offers trade in a “gently-used” iPad 2, 3, or 4 for a $200 gift card and in some cases $350

http://www.imore.com/microsoft-stores-staffing-apple-store-employees
    Microsoft is beginning to staff up their upcoming retail store chain using freshly poached Apple Store managers and employees. Using "significant raises" and in some cases, moving expenses

I guess Microsoft has realized that the only way they can get Apple customers and employees to switch is to take a loss or pay above market value (for staffing). This really shows the lower value of their products.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 52 of 75

Nilay HATES this picture (for being made to look like a fool). 
    I hate to say this, but looks like he doesn't have to try very hard.....
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 53 of 75
    eightzero said:

You could Google it on Bing.
    What is B....

Oh, forget it.
  • Reply 54 of 75

Somebody at Microsoft is pretty sharp. They think they can get a good Apple Watch cheap with this offer. Unfortunately the error to their method is that Apple Watch owners are smarter than Microsoft owners.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 55 of 75

the context, obviously, being an answer the question you yourself asked.

can lead a horse to water...
    Sigh. Go with the flow, man....
  • Reply 56 of 75
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Microsoft is taking direct aim at rival Apple in a new promotion, which offers Apple Watch owners up to $250 in credit toward the purchase of a new Microsoft Band 2.
    You couldn't pay me.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 57 of 75
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Pathetic. Both for doing this, and for being stupid enough to think that an AppleWatch user would give up their $650 38"SS+ML for $250.
    I don't do that even with Sport model. MS are just out of their fucking kind.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 58 of 75
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,304member
    That's just what I want-- to trade in a superior product for an inferior one.
    moreck
  • Reply 59 of 75
    I actually stopped wearing my apple watch about three weeks after purchase and only use the MSFT band now. Far superior experience for health tracking.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    "Hi, I'm Microsoft. My favorite hobby is throwing away money like it's going out of style. It's ironic, because the only thing that seems to be going out of style is me."
    cornchip