Microsoft offering up to $250 for Apple Watch users to trade in for a Band 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75

Pathetic. Both for doing this, and for being stupid enough to think that an AppleWatch user would give up their $650 38"SS+ML for $250.

Nilay Patel probably would.

Or maybe he can get $250 for his studded wristband instead.
    Who's Nilay Patel, and why should I care?
  • Reply 22 of 75
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    There is a very distinct difference between the Microsoft Band and the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is designed to look like a fine watch and the watch interface is a primary function. The MS Band looks like another FitBit wannabe. The Apple Watch is more functional with the ability to download apps from the app store and many of my existing apps have integrated watch apps into them. The lack of GPS doesn't concern me since I always have my iPhone with me anyway. I live in Minnesota so UV levels aren't a big problem here. There are lots of weather apps that show UV for your city anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 75

Nilay Patel probably would.

Or maybe he can get $250 for his studded wristband instead.
    Try this: http://bfy.tw/3kbC

edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Are health trackers like this MS product or the Fitbit's included in the "smartwatch" category? I've no idea how they define it. 
    anantksundaramchialostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    mnbob1 said:
    metrix said:
    Can someone explain to me why Microsoft continues to employ 4 or 5 people in their stores when no one visits and they are certainly not buying anything there. I understand giving it a try but if you are going to throw this much money down the drain do it for a good cause.
    I live in Minnesota and the nearest Apple Store to me is in the Mall of America. Microsoft opened their store across the hallway from Apple's. I hate going to the mall but love the Apple Store. The service is great and the employees are friendly. The techs at the Genius Bar always solve my problems. I went into the Microsoft store a couple of times just to check it out. I wasn't greeted at the door. The four employees were hanging out around the Xbox display and didn't even notice me. There were two other customers in the store wandering around that appeared to have been ignored as well. We were all dressed in suits so Xbox was not on my list and it looked like the other two weren't either. The displays were messy and the Windows phone had empty spaces. It wasn't until I was walking out that an employee approached me. The stores have to be a loss for MS. I don't see any more opening in the Twin Cities. They seem to be happy with the mini stores inside Best Buy.
    That reminded me of the Microsoft Store that opened up back in the early 2000's at the Sony Metreon in San Francisco.  Obviously, this was before the Apple Stores but the feeling when I walked in way back was the same.  It was depressing, no one approached me to help, and they were all distracted elsewhere in the store doing basically nothing.

This is the difference between Apple stores, and the retail operations of the competition.  Apple employees actually care to help their customers.  The competition "pretends" to care, and think they do... but the reality is they don't.  I challenge any high-level Microsoft executive to randomly walk unannounced, and without identifying themselves into a Microsoft store and see what really goes on there.  They are just used to seeing their retail operations as a line-item on their financial reports.  

The worse thing they can do is announce to the store that they are coming.  All that does is give the workers a heads-up to make a show for them, only to go back to their regular, unproductive ways after they leave.

cornchipnolamacguychia
  • Reply 26 of 75

I don't click on links without context.
  • Reply 27 of 75

"WHY?"
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 28 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

He's referring to a blogger that worked for Engadget and now for the Verge. Not entirely sure the point the OP was making but I'd assume it was supposed to be making fun of him for something or other. :/
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 29 of 75
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    larrya said:
    The MS band doesn't play music and the Apple Watch doesn't have GPS.  They both suffer the same battery life and lack of water resistance.  I guess it's all just a matter of which to adorn the inside of your junk drawer with. 
    From Apple's Watch website: Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 6052
    IPX7: Protected against immersion up to 1 meter, 1 m Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion), Test duration: 30 minutes,Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

The Microsoft Band 2 is also rated at IPX7.

• Reply 30 of 75
    Microsoft would get more takers if they offered them $250 to wear no smartwatch at all.
    cornchip
  • Reply 31 of 75
    The link goes to a cool website called Let Me Google That For You... it's for someone that doesn't have the time to copy a name into Google and hit enter to answer their question - even though doing so is quicker than asking the question in the first place, and then replying to a link in a post that would answer their question.
    nolamacguytechlover
  • Reply 32 of 75
    gatorguy said:
    He's referring to a blogger that worked for Engadget and now for the Verge. Not entirely sure the point the OP was making but I'd assume it was supposed to be making fun of him for something or other.
    Ahem...

edited January 2016 cornchipericthehalfbeenolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    foggyhill said:
    Is this a joke?
    Hear about the chap that walked into a store and looked at the sales guy and said, "cleaner pad for my Microsoft Band 2?"  The sales guy replied, "that's sounds fair."
    edited January 2016 gatorguypscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Wow, badly do Microsoft employees want an Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 35 of 75
    gatorguy said:
    He's referring to a blogger that worked for Engadget and now for the Verge. Not entirely sure the point the OP was making but I'd assume it was supposed to be making fun of him for something or other. :/
    Ah, OK. Thanks. I've heard the name, and since I have not read The Verge in ages (last I recall, it was full of self-consciously clever, cutes-y articles, that seemed to attract a very angry bunch of commenters), I'd forgotten!

I guess I could have looked it up, but was too lazy.
  • Reply 36 of 75

The link goes to a cool website called Let Me Google That For You... it's for someone that doesn't have the time to copy a name into Google and hit enter to answer their question - even though doing so is quicker than asking the question in the first place, and then replying to a link in a post that would answer their question.
    I click on that (cool?) website called "Google" all the time.

Sometimes, it's just not worth the effort, since it's not like my life is particularly enriched by the search results. Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    larrya said:
    The MS band doesn't play music and the Apple Watch doesn't have GPS.  and lack of water resistance.  
    AW is water resistant.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    * overheard at the proverbial tech water cooler *
    Microsoft: "Man, figuring out this product launch is hard work! Hey, Apple: how much did you have to pay customers to buy your watch when it first launched?"

• Reply 39 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mnbob1 said:
    larrya said:
    The MS band doesn't play music and the Apple Watch doesn't have GPS.  They both suffer the same battery life and lack of water resistance.  I guess it's all just a matter of which to adorn the inside of your junk drawer with. 
    From Apple's Watch website: Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 6052
    IPX7: Protected against immersion up to 1 meter, 1 m Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion), Test duration: 30 minutes,Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

The Microsoft Band 2 is also rated at IPX7.

It's probable that the watch is way more resistant than IPX7, I know a hell of a lot of people doing way worse than that with the watch.
    Apple probably didn't want to invite deep sea diving with their watch ;-).
  • Reply 40 of 75
    gatorguy said:
    Ah, OK. Thanks. I've heard the name, and since I have not read The Verge in ages (last I recall, it was full of self-consciously clever, cutes-y articles, that seemed to attract a very angry bunch of commenters), I'd forgotten!

I guess I could have looked it up, but was too lazy.

As per the picture posted above.

Nilay has been on an anti-Apple tear as of late. In his review of the Apple Watch he claimed he felt stupid wearing it with the Milanese Loop band. Someone found a picture of him with that stupid studded wrist band and a meme was born. You mentioned SS + ML in your post (Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop), so that's why I brought it up.

Nilay HATES this picture (for being made to look like a fool). People are always posting it at The Verge now, and they're usually quickly deleted.
    pscooter63anton zuykovlostkiwicornchip