Rumor: Apple to debut 10.5-inch iPad Pro at special event in early April

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    The ios device ID isn't available to Web sites or apps, so what you fear really isn't possible. 
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Any speculation that the slightly larger size has something to do with a full sized keyboard accessory to compete with the entry level laptop market?
    No, and LOL. "Entry level laptop". The iPad market already destroyed the entry level laptop market years ago. You see those XX million per quarter? Those used to be cheap laptops.

And, the device is not getting physically larger. The 10.5" display is being fitted to the same chassis as the current 9.7" Pro. They have to trim down the bezels considerably to do it, and may even be replacing the Home Button with a Touch Bar, much like they plan to do with the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    evilution said:
    You should double up on that tin foil hat! You clearly don't understand what information is sent to a website when you browse it.

Device ID, browser ID and a check for cookies from previous visits. There is no personal info nor any way for a device to be linked to you.

What about targetted adverts when you are in Shopping Malls?

I'm just saying that there are people out there who buy and sell all sorts of data about you. Not all of them are 'good guys'. If you have a certain device type and it can be tracked then it does not take a Phd to realise that 'you' can be identified and tracked. Once that data gets to a tipping point, your whole life can be mapped out. The Ad slingers wet dream? Yes. But also a gold mine for the bad guys.

Buy a nice bit of bling for the wife. Increase your insurance cover for the bit of bling. Go on a cruise to celebrate an event and bingo, your home is a target waiting to be hit. That does not even include posting of the inevitable selfies from a beach in the Bahamas on Social Media.
    Paranoid? you might think I am but others may not.
    If no one points out the risks then the biind will carry on and walk over the edge. I don't use any social media site for very good reasons. This sort of thing being one of them.

Maybe triple down on that hat and go do some research. They literally just know your iDevice type, the browser and they can guess your country from your IP. You match tens of millions of other people. They can't track you, can't monitor your activity and the "targeted ads" aren't targeted, they are ibeacon ads sent to every device that will accept it.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Any speculation that the slightly larger size has something to do with a full sized keyboard accessory to compete with the entry level laptop market?
    I suspect that, even if it doesn't have anything to do with a full size keyboard, that that is their target.   As the Axx processors become increasingly powerful, the lower end Intel laptops enter target range...

Picture a typical student:  Would you buy a $500 tablet plus a $1,000 laptop -- or just a single "hybrid" that does both EQUALLY well for about half that total amount?  Not only do you save money but you have less to lug around.
    I would rather just buy a $1200-1400 MacBook or MacBook Pro and be done with it. Hybrids are the biggest pieces of shit ever. You can't make 2 things do tasks equally. This means you'll have to take a mobile OS and make it a desktop OS or visa versa. It would totally ruin the entire experience. There's a reason why Apple has a mobile OS and a desktop OS. When you try to merge them together, you get a disaster... You cannot do what you're saying without merging the two OS's together or trying to create a special OS based off from iOS or macOS for this supposed device every student will buy. 

From what I see...students are either buying cheap laptops...like really cheap or they buy more expensive ones. And, I work in education so I see what people buy and people come to me all the time asking what to buy and I don't always recommend Apple products. It depends on what you're doing and what your budget is. Apple isn't going to compete in the $200-300 segment. It never has and never will. Apple isn't going to be in a race to the bottom just to get more sales.  If you can't afford a new Mac, then either get a used one which are just as suitable, or get something else. I wouldn't mind having a $3,000 27" 5k iMac, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna come on a forum and keep rehashing a magical cheaper Mac that people will buy that is similar to what I want. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 25 of 44
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    No, and LOL. "Entry level laptop". The iPad market already destroyed the entry level laptop market years ago. You see those XX million per quarter? Those used to be cheap laptops.

And, the device is not getting physically larger. The 10.5" display is being fitted to the same chassis as the current 9.7" Pro. They have to trim down the bezels considerably to do it, and may even be replacing the Home Button with a Touch Bar, much like they plan to do with the iPhone.
    Nothing about that rumor - adding a Touch Bar to the phone - makes the slightest bit of sense whatsoever, to me. The whole premise of making the iPhone a "giant screen" was to have any interface part be anything it might need to be, rather than have any dedicated areas wasted on fixed functions. The sole exception was the Home button. 

Dedicating part of a screen to be a Touch Bar adds absolutely nothing over what the iPhone has been able to do since Day One, and it blocks part of the screen with dedicated function controls - on a device whose entire existence is predicated upon the idea that you don't need them.
    edited March 2017 chiaGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 44
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    Uuuh iPads! (sarc.) Sorry, but I don't understand why Apple is making such a fuss about iPads. The sales volume is just as small as the Mac volume when compared to iPhones. In fact, the Mac business has been growing, while the iPad business has been shrinking.

But don't mind me, I'm just a disgruntled, long time Mac user ... which is apparently a dying species.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    I want a 65" iPad pro...what's taking so long?

• Reply 28 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    inteliboy said:
    Cool. They changed the size of the screen. Remember when Apple events used to be exciting?
    Yeah, and I also remember when CDs, DVDs, and PCs were exciting -- technology gets mature and we become used to it. It's not a shortcoming of Apple, just your expectations.

What's noteworthy however is that Apple is the only company to have weathered these four decades of technology change in any meaningful way. What other players from the '70s hold as much mindshare today as Apple? Are even in business?
    chia
  • Reply 29 of 44
    sog35 said:
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:
    inteliboy said:
    Cool. They changed the size of the screen. Remember when Apple events used to be exciting?
    Sub 10 comment poster strikes again.

AppleInsider can we please have stricter rules for new posters? I'm getting sick of 'new' posters coming here and every single one of their posts are negative crap. New posters should be screened and if they are only posting negative, then their account should be banned.
    sog,

You might not want to paint everyone with such a broad brush. A very informative post was made by Staigard, above, his eight in a number of years.
    I agree.

Thats why I think any new poster needs to have their first 10 posts moderated. Like you said Staigard did post something very informative. That is why I didn't bash him. But its super obvious that other 'new' posters only post negative crap about Apple. Those should be perma banned.

Having the first 10 posts moderated isn't an off the wall idea. Many sites do this to curb new trolls setting up multiple accounts that destroy forums. 

This is what other sites do:

1. After registration the new user can't post for 10 days.
    2. After 10 days they only can post.
    3. But they won't be able to post additional posts until their current post is moderated
    4. If their first few posts are all mindless negative meme's (no innovation, if Steve Jobs was alive, ect) their account should be shutdown and permaban.

Yes this will make more work for the moderators, but it will make the forums so much better.
    Hell, I'll volunteer to moderate if they lack resources to do this.

Yes, I'll happily moderated the first 10 posts of new users. Sign me up!
    I believe AI used to do this -- years back I remember the first dozen posts or show wouldn't post.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    hucom2000 said:
    Uuuh iPads! (sarc.) Sorry, but I don't understand why Apple is making such a fuss about iPads. The sales volume is just as small as the Mac volume when compared to iPhones. In fact, the Mac business has been growing, while the iPad business has been shrinking.

But don't mind me, I'm just a disgruntled, long time Mac user ... which is apparently a dying species.
    Mac sales are greater than iPad due to them being more expensive devices. Fewer units tho, as I recall. iPads are likely stabilizing from their insane growth spurt at launch -- they last a long time and do a great job.
    apple jockey
  • Reply 31 of 44
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    I've read AI since 2012 and my account says created today. :disappointed: 
  • Reply 32 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Royfb said:
    I've read AI since 2012 and my account says created today. :disappointed: 
    Reading AI and having an account are 2 different things. Also, about 2 or so years ago the forum software changed so some of the accounts I think had to be recreated or if they were ported over, things got messed up. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    spheric said:
    I suspect that, even if it doesn't have anything to do with a full size keyboard, that that is their target.   As the Axx processors become increasingly powerful, the lower end Intel laptops enter target range...

Picture a typical student:  Would you buy a $500 tablet plus a $1,000 laptop -- or just a single "hybrid" that does both EQUALLY well for about half that total amount?  Not only do you save money but you have less to lug around.
    Gosh, not again: 

currently, what those typical students are doing is NOT buying hybrids. And as has become abundantly clear from all the tedious discussion, and what even the die-hard Surface proponents admit: the "hybrids" do NOT do "both EQUALLY well". 
    LOL...
    ... So another Microsoft failure is proof that it can't be done?   Really?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Would you buy a $500 tablet plus a $1,000 laptop -- or just a single "hybrid" that does both EQUALLY well for about half that total amount?
    Except that a device that does both equally well does not in fact exist.  

Really, I've read the arguments already, no need to rehash.  Just not buying it.
    You are right, it doesn't exist.   But not long ago neither did IPods, IPhones, IPads and Apple Watches....
  • Reply 35 of 44

Actually, no...  In schools, the ChromeBook -- the ultimate in entry level laptops -- is crushing everything Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    macxpress said:

I would rather just buy a $1200-1400 MacBook or MacBook Pro and be done with it. Hybrids are the biggest pieces of shit ever. You can't make 2 things do tasks equally. This means you'll have to take a mobile OS and make it a desktop OS or visa versa. It would totally ruin the entire experience. There's a reason why Apple has a mobile OS and a desktop OS. When you try to merge them together, you get a disaster... You cannot do what you're saying without merging the two OS's together or trying to create a special OS based off from iOS or macOS for this supposed device every student will buy. 

From what I see...students are either buying cheap laptops...like really cheap or they buy more expensive ones. And, I work in education so I see what people buy and people come to me all the time asking what to buy and I don't always recommend Apple products. It depends on what you're doing and what your budget is. Apple isn't going to compete in the $200-300 segment. It never has and never will. Apple isn't going to be in a race to the bottom just to get more sales.  If you can't afford a new Mac, then either get a used one which are just as suitable, or get something else. I wouldn't mind having a $3,000 27" 5k iMac, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna come on a forum and keep rehashing a magical cheaper Mac that people will buy that is similar to what I want. 
    The piece you are missing is that Tablets and laptops tend to be used for separate, different purposes...    It's really tough to play a good game on a laptop.   Likewise, it's really tough to type a term paper on a tablet....   There are, of course, many more examples.

When Jobs introduced the original IPad, hardware was not powerful enough to manage both types of functions well.   Today it is either there or very close.   The limitation is slowly being removed.   It may be gone already.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    macxpress said:

The piece you are missing is that Tablets and laptops tend to be used for separate, different purposes...    It's really tough to play a good game on a laptop.   Likewise, it's really tough to type a term paper on a tablet....   There are, of course, many more examples.

When Jobs introduced the original IPad, hardware was not powerful enough to manage both types of functions well.   Today it is either there or very close.   The limitation is slowly being removed.   It may be gone already.
    macxpress said:

Absolutely.  

The ipad is rapidly gaining functionality hitherto reserved for "classic" PC devices. 

Note that it is doing so WITHOUT compromising the interface - because Apple is gearing up the iPad to replace computers for many/most everyday tasks, NOT compromising the new system by shoehorning in the old. 
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Apple still trying to push larger iPads. Personally I wish they'd keep the mini going, perfect form factor for me. iPad Mini Pro = perfection
  • Reply 39 of 44
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    I think that system level handwriting recognition might be on the cards too.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    hucom2000 said:

iPads outsell Macs in units by almost 3:1. Revenue is about the same - a little bit more for Mac with the latest quarter. 

Despite the decline from very high earlier levels, the iPad is still a great business for Apple. Combined with Macs Apple is the number one personal computer vendor (without including iPhone).   The iPad user base is still growing.  Many people will buy an iPad over a traditional computer - those wanting a simple experience with little upkeep, some occupations where portability and entry on the fly is critical, certain creatives, etc.