14-inch Apple Silicon MacBook Pro coming at 'Time Flies' Apple event, says leaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    wizard69 said:
    iGlass maybe?
    How about Apple Super Symmetric - Glass
    Apple Liquid Retina Vision
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    scapal said:
    wizard69 said:
    iGlass maybe?
    I think you’re close. I think it will be called: AppleVision.

(though, back in the day, Apple Computer did make a line of AppleVision monitors...so, it’s not totally fresh.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 57
    That sounds REALLY soon, but Apple could totally pull it off. I expect it would be an announcement though - something for EOY and to make sure they keeping customers interested and anticipated.

I wonder whether the GPU is Apple’s or if they’ll use AMD for discreet graphics, and use their own for what we currently refer to as “Intel internal graphics”.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,032member
    I have a MacBook Pro 16" with some pretty nice specs but I still use my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" for most of my tasks. The 16" is for my video creative projects. If a 12" or 14" with Apple Silicone come out this year with a decent price tag I might just get one and replace my 15" but we'll see! Doubt we will see an announcement at the Watch event.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 57
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,771member
    Seems a bit short notice for developers if true. I know this time around it's easier for most since there's no CarbonLib, but the PPC -> Intel transition was announced in June 2005 and the first Mac was available ~7 months later in January 2006. There have been only ~2.5 months since the announcement. Maybe they're putting a lot of faith in their x86 emulator.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,354moderator
    scapal said:
    wizard69 said:
    iGlass maybe?

(though, back in the day, Apple Computer did make a line of AppleVision monitors...so, it’s not totally fresh.
    For a product name, I'd expect it would be something that could be referred to like 'pass me my ...', Mac, iPad, iPhone, Watch, AirPods etc and they all work in the plural. 'Pass me my Vision(s)' doesn't sound quite right. I would say Viewer or View would suit that usage a bit better. It could be a brand name like Vue. I doubt it would start with 'i' as that's the older Apple products, they switched to Apple for newer ones - Watch, TV, Pencil, Music, AirPods, HomePod.

Glasses sort of works as a name but it suggests impairment. Sunglasses doesn't suggest impairment though. Glass doesn't suggest impairment either but I don't think that has the right sound to it.

HoloLens, Oculus Rift/Quest, Magic Leap One are in a similar category and their brand names are decent but are all different from how Apple's product sounds. It usually just takes a bit of getting used to the brand they end up with.
    That sounds REALLY soon, but Apple could totally pull it off. I expect it would be an announcement though - something for EOY and to make sure they keeping customers interested and anticipated.

I wonder whether the GPU is Apple’s or if they’ll use AMD for discreet graphics, and use their own for what we currently refer to as “Intel internal graphics”.
    "Apple plans to ship the first Mac with Apple silicon by the end of the year and complete the transition in about two years"
    "Apple is designing a family of SoCs for the Mac. This will give the Mac industry-leading performance per watt and higher performance GPUs"

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

Nvidia is getting 100GFLOPs/Watt out of Samsung 8nm with the 3000-series GPUs. Apple will be using 5nm and can get a 50% boost over this. 150GFLOPs/Watt means 2-3TFLOP GPU in a Macbook Air or 3-4TFLOPs in a 14" MBP (between 5300-5500M level). The 16" MBP could handle 6-8TFLOPs but they might push down the power level to keep the temperature and fan noise down like a 35W chip would be 5TFLOPs like the 5600M but would run whisper quiet and cool. Less heat means longer battery endurance.

There's no point in paying AMD to build a GPU with TSMC and put it external to their chip when they can do the same, better and cheaper and not have to deal with driver issues and have a fast connection to their memory and CPU.

What makes sense to me for the product line is to merge the 13" Air and 13" MBP into a single 14" product that has the power of the 13" MBP in the size and portability of the Air. These laptops represent the biggest audience for the Mac, easily 60% of their entire Mac line. The 13" Retina Air starts at $999, Apple can easily start the new product at this price or a bit less.

They can have 50-100% extra GPU cores for a higher up model. $899-999 2TLOP GPU (15W), $1299 for 3TFLOP GPU (20W) plus RAM/storage upgrades.
    16" can be $1999 for 5TFLOP (35W) and $2399 for 6.5TFLOP (45W). Even at max load, these would be really quiet machines.

The 14" might be easier to make if they can just boost the clock speeds of the iPad chips. The 16" would need more physical cores, twice the GPU cores at least. It would be nice to see the entire laptop lineup switch this year but the 14" will be the least impactful to professional workflows and will give developers time to port their software and test it against the biggest Mac audience.

They can show the finished product design at the event. I don't see the need to have two events either, they can easily cover the Watch, iPhone and Mac at this one and they'd all be shipping by the end of the year.
    fastasleepthtwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 27 of 57
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,032member
    elijahg said:
    Seems a bit short notice for developers if true. I know this time around it's easier for most since there's no CarbonLib, but the PPC -> Intel transition was announced in June 2005 and the first Mac was available ~7 months later in January 2006. There have been only ~2.5 months since the announcement. Maybe they're putting a lot of faith in their x86 emulator.
    No time like now right? It's not like they are updating all of their products at once but a MacBook is a good place to start.
    ronnrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Looks like the new MacBook Pro of 2014 is coming in late 2020
    lkrupp
  • Reply 29 of 57
    themacpro said:
    Apple glass... lol they'd never play second fiddle to Google so blatantly 

If i had to guess?

"iSight"
    "iSee"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,745member
    How about...  iSee  and iSaw ;)
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member

All Apple Silicon based Macs will ship with an Apple GPU. Apple has said as much - it's part of the SoC. macOS will continue to support 3rd party GPUs, but I highly doubt any system will offer them as a BTO option, except maybe the Mac Pro. Apple has spent the passed couple of years supporting and building up the eGPU market for Macs, now we know why.
    thtrazorpitwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 57
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    tjwolf said:
    An ARM Mac released before the OS it runs is released? Sounds plausible
    Conversely, why would Apple release an OS if there's no hardware to run it on?

There's actually almost 100,000,000 Macs "in the wild" the OS will run on.
    ronnlkruppwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 57
    iGlass maybe?
    Nah, AppleVision

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPe7pE_5uQ

• Reply 34 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,415member
    I’m a big fan of Apple products and I’m due for a Mac refresh, but I’m in no hurry to jump on the first generation of Apple Silicon Macs. I can survive another release cycle with my current gear and harvest the benefits of further refinement down the road a bit. I say refinement with tongue in cheek because I’ve spent enough time in new product development to know for certain that the first release of a product is never the best, and is quite often not even the originally intended package. When deadlines are looming some “must have” features on the original roadmap always (always!) get pushed to a later release.

On the other hand, you don’t want to wait too long to make the leap. Life is finite.

It’s a personal decision that you have to be comfortable making. My experience with the original iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch, and aluminum iMac left me feeling left-behind way too soon. The iPad 2 was so much better than the original iPad and the original Apple Watch suffered the indignity of not even having a series designation. Calling it “Series 0” is farcical and totally revisionist. Maybe all “non series” product releases should be designated with an “X” for experimental - except Apple already wasted this naming with the goofy use of Roman numerals for the number 10.  Maybe “P” for prototype, or even “XP” ... no no no, just kidding.

I’ll start saving my milk money for the second iteration of the Sili-Mac that will someday replace my aging Inteli-Mac. That’s my plan anyway, and sometimes best laid plans are kind of like Release 1 product feature commitments when subjected to heavy schedule pressure, firmly cast in wet jello. 
    blurpbleepbloopwatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 35 of 57
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    An ARM Mac released before the OS it runs is released? Sounds plausible
    While the language in the post should make it clear that we are very skeptical about the data, an event doesn't mean shipments same-day. A case in point is the iPhone, which will start pre-orders a few days after the event also before the iOS that supports it is available, with shipments between seven and 10 days later.
    I think substituting the word "claims" for "says" in the headline would introduce the proper level of skepticism.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57
    MacPro said:
    How about...  iSee  and iSaw ;)
    The whole “i”-branded devices naming convention is no longer a strategy for them. It’s “Apple (product name)”.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Marvin said:
    scapal said:
    wizard69 said:
    iGlass maybe?

For a product name, I'd expect it would be something that could be referred to like 'pass me my ...', Mac, iPad, iPhone, Watch, AirPods etc and they all work in the plural. 'Pass me my Vision(s)' doesn't sound quite right. I would say Viewer or View would suit that usage a bit better. It could be a brand name like Vue. I doubt it would start with 'i' as that's the older Apple products, they switched to Apple for newer ones - Watch, TV, Pencil, Music, AirPods, HomePod.

Glasses sort of works as a name but it suggests impairment. Sunglasses doesn't suggest impairment though. Glass doesn't suggest impairment either but I don't think that has the right sound to it.

HoloLens, Oculus Rift/Quest, Magic Leap One are in a similar category and their brand names are decent but are all different from how Apple's product sounds. It usually just takes a bit of getting used to the brand they end up with.

"Apple plans to ship the first Mac with Apple silicon by the end of the year and complete the transition in about two years"
    "Apple is designing a family of SoCs for the Mac. This will give the Mac industry-leading performance per watt and higher performance GPUs"

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

Nvidia is getting 100GFLOPs/Watt out of Samsung 8nm with the 3000-series GPUs. Apple will be using 5nm and can get a 50% boost over this. 150GFLOPs/Watt means 2-3TFLOP GPU in a Macbook Air or 3-4TFLOPs in a 14" MBP (between 5300-5500M level). The 16" MBP could handle 6-8TFLOPs but they might push down the power level to keep the temperature and fan noise down like a 35W chip would be 5TFLOPs like the 5600M but would run whisper quiet and cool. Less heat means longer battery endurance.

There's no point in paying AMD to build a GPU with TSMC and put it external to their chip when they can do the same, better and cheaper and not have to deal with driver issues and have a fast connection to their memory and CPU.

What makes sense to me for the product line is to merge the 13" Air and 13" MBP into a single 14" product that has the power of the 13" MBP in the size and portability of the Air. These laptops represent the biggest audience for the Mac, easily 60% of their entire Mac line. The 13" Retina Air starts at $999, Apple can easily start the new product at this price or a bit less.

They can have 50-100% extra GPU cores for a higher up model. $899-999 2TLOP GPU (15W), $1299 for 3TFLOP GPU (20W) plus RAM/storage upgrades.
    16" can be $1999 for 5TFLOP (35W) and $2399 for 6.5TFLOP (45W). Even at max load, these would be really quiet machines.

The 14" might be easier to make if they can just boost the clock speeds of the iPad chips. The 16" would need more physical cores, twice the GPU cores at least. It would be nice to see the entire laptop lineup switch this year but the 14" will be the least impactful to professional workflows and will give developers time to port their software and test it against the biggest Mac audience.

They can show the finished product design at the event. I don't see the need to have two events either, they can easily cover the Watch, iPhone and Mac at this one and they'd all be shipping by the end of the year.
    Will it be called as a "Pro" then?  Leaving one 16" as the only Pro sounds straightforward.
    The guy said it will matched the 16", I guess it won't be an eight-core for an ASi (didn't reply me yet).
  • Reply 38 of 57
    iGlass maybe?
    2ndSight?

Orrora?

MagicBus?

• Reply 39 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,354moderator
    DuhSesame said:
    Marvin said:
    What makes sense to me for the product line is to merge the 13" Air and 13" MBP into a single 14" product that has the power of the 13" MBP in the size and portability of the Air.
    Will it be called as a "Pro" then?  Leaving one 16" as the only Pro sounds straightforward.
    The guy said it will matched the 16", I guess it won't be an eight-core for an ASi (didn't reply me yet).
    Possibly, they could name the entry model the 'Macbook' even if it was faster than the current MBP because they are relative terms. Any model with 8GB RAM and under 1TB SSD can be 'Macbook' and anything with 16GB/1TB+ can be 'Macbook Pro'. It would probably be good marketing to name them all Pro though as it would look like they are cheaper than before given that even the entry Silicon Mac laptop, replacing the Air, will outperform the old entry Pro.

There won't be a distinct iMac/iMac Pro split because there won't be the Xeon vs Core chips and they will be able to fit a hugely powerful chip in the iMac shell, especially at 3nm (200GFLOP/Watt x 150W = 30TFLOP) so there won't be anything they sell that's non-Pro.

They can always differentiate them in different ways like faster storage, more ports, HDR displays, anti-glare coatings, ECC memory if it's an option, faster GPUs.
  • Reply 40 of 57
     Marvin said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Marvin said:
    What makes sense to me for the product line is to merge the 13" Air and 13" MBP into a single 14" product that has the power of the 13" MBP in the size and portability of the Air.
    Possibly, they could name the entry model the 'Macbook' even if it was faster than the current MBP because they are relative terms. Any model with 8GB RAM and under 1TB SSD can be 'Macbook' and anything with 16GB/1TB+ can be 'Macbook Pro'. It would probably be good marketing to name them all Pro though as it would look like they are cheaper than before given that even the entry Silicon Mac laptop, replacing the Air, will outperform the old entry Pro.

There won't be a distinct iMac/iMac Pro split because there won't be the Xeon vs Core chips and they will be able to fit a hugely powerful chip in the iMac shell, especially at 3nm (200GFLOP/Watt x 150W = 30TFLOP) so there won't be anything they sell that's non-Pro.

They can always differentiate them in different ways like faster storage, more ports, HDR displays, anti-glare coatings, ECC memory if it's an option, faster GPUs.
    I like the idea of blending iMacs in one lineup, with one ultimate desktop solution for both the consumer and entry-level workstation (like HEDT for professional workflows), leaving the Mac Pro to itself.

Not sure calling the 14" a "Pro" will be a good idea if it matched the 9980HK -- especially the 16" still throttles.  If it's something similar to the "A14X", that won't be far from the iPad Pro, that means consumer notebooks will be inferior to their tablets.  More importantly, it might create a reputation that Apple's pro product are really just for everyone else where the actual "notebooks for everyone" is barely qualified as a daily driver.  I believe most people gets the lower-end 13" these days.