First download-to-own film service announced

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hi Mr. One Post

Welcome to Appleinsiders boards. I hope you will find your stay here pleasant.

Remember this place goes back about eight years and we have a lot of history. You will probably come across posts that doesn´t make sense at the first look. In most cases they refer to that history and it would be useful for you to just sit back and see if you catch the meaning later.

With kind regards,

A Moderator.

*bawahahahahahahhahahahha*

Oh dear god, thats funny.... oh, wait... yes, yes... I believe I have wet myself!

On topic....

Universal are DOOMED!

b.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Sure $35 for a new movie....

When you can buy the DVD for $20 or you can just go to blockbuster and/or order from netflix and burn that same movie with all extras to a $1 DVD.

But that would be illegal...

This just shows yet another example of corporate ignorance from the MPAA... I'm not paying $35 for anything that is nothing but 1s and 0s.

Jack Valenti get your head out of your ass.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pioneer01

'Mr One Post' Now that's funny!

Ditto!

There is something about being a new poster that makes people think they are unusually smart, subtle, thoughtful, insightful, etc. They invariably show themselves to be the exact opposite. Has anyone else noticed that this is true on almost any board, in any forum, no matter the subject?

A wise man once said, ?much to learn, you still have.?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

I'm not paying $35 for anything that is nothing but 1s and 0s.

Oh man, you have no idea how ironic this sounds... seeing as you're posting this from a computer, running an OS that you quite likely bought when you bought the computer, and for more than $35 - and what's what the OS is, just 1s and 0s.

I'm sorry but, I can't resist.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Universal is proving their ignorance and greed. Apple's likely going to have to wait until these pigs find the troff is almost empty before they let Jobs try it Apple's way. Perhaps a Disney first roll-out will put the pressure on the other studios. BTW these British files cannot be played on Macs per earlier reports.

One can only wish they'd try and launch the service in France!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kosice

MS DRM!

Again a Windows only service!

My god, the French were right again... with there new law, this would force Universal to enable playing the movie on OSX

It's not like they had more than two options for DRM.. It was either MS Windows DRM or Apple's Fairplay... Since Apple does not license Fairplay it doesn't even count as an option, they were forced to use Windows DRM... Apple is the one being the bully by keeping fairplay closed.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,530member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hi Mr. One Post

Welcome to Appleinsiders boards. I hope you will find your stay here pleasant.

Remember this place goes back about eight years and we have a lot of history. You will probably come across posts that doesn´t make sense at the first look. In most cases they refer to that history and it would be useful for you to just sit back and see if you catch the meaning later.

With kind regards,

A Moderator.

Hey! That's twice in less than a week!

You're hot.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,530member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark2005

This is not a good sign for the Apple service. It reveals that at least Universal is thinking more along the lines of what Amazon wanted to do. Sell the DVD, and add a fee for downloaded versions delivered sooner.

The news about Playstation 3 and its online links to a refurbished Connect service is also not a good sign. Sony seems like it will hold back the Sony movie catalog until the Playstation 3 debuts.

I hope Apple can sign up at least one other studio besides Disney/Pixar for their service.

I get a distinct feeling that getting movie companies won't be as easy for Apple as it was getting music companies.

Now, the business is becoming more of a known quantity. They are not happy with Apple's pricing. And it seems as though they don't want to give Apple any more power than they already have.

This could be tough.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I get a distinct feeling that getting movie companies won't be as easy for Apple as it was getting music companies.

Now, the business is becoming more of a known quantity. They are not happy with Apple's pricing. And it seems as though they don't want to give Apple any more power than they already have.

This could be tough.

Agreed.

The good news is that Apple will almost certainly have Disney/Buena Vista lined up, giving them the opportunity to demonstrate that the Apple/iTunes way actually moves product.

And I think for a while yet having limited offerings isn't going to be the problem it would have been for music (where a music shopper might look around and decide that the inventory wasn't worth it), since everything's going to be limited for the time being.

Which means there will be a clear field demonstration: one of the movie stores will be humming along, selling briskly, while the other studio backed enterprises suffer from the usual pricing miscues, confusing interfaces and poorly designed "stores". The thread topic tells us as much.

Studios in league with the PC world suffer from the same fragmentation of hardware, software and web presence that has kept any serious iPod rivals from taking root on the audio side.

And, amazingly, they seem literally incapable of figuring out that that's even true, much less doing anything about it.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Windows DRM... yawn.. More blue screens of death anyone?

The 30th birthday is coming up fast. I am amping about the idea of a vidpod. With so many of the threads here at AI inicating the Apple iMedia/movie store coming soon... exciting times!!!

The only problem being finding the dosh to buy these wonderful toys. Could cut back on the beer consumption I guess......
  • Reply 31 of 42
    I actually couldn't give less getting that dvd in post, I'd rather keep my subscription in the service and download/stream that movie when I wanted to watch it. I also hope, that the video services get their game straight with bittorrent, so the stores bandwidth isn't the reason why you couldn't watch over network. This kind of system would also allow "rental" approach, where you were entitled to only limited watching time/views. And please bring the prices and quality to same level with dvd:s
  • Reply 32 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Oh man, you have no idea how ironic this sounds... seeing as you're posting this from a computer, running an OS that you quite likely bought when you bought the computer, and for more than $35 - and what's what the OS is, just 1s and 0s.

I'm sorry but, I can't resist.

PWND!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nice try.

true, true...
  • Reply 34 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lostkiwi

Windows DRM... yawn.. More blue screens of death anyone?

I get those a lot less of those than I do of the off switch of death, though I think my OSoD issue was resolved with an update.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I'd like to know the quality of the encoding on these. Are they using h.264? If so, what's the bit rate set to?

They're probably using WMV...... can you use windows DRM on anything but WMV?

If apple starts a service, what quality are they going to use?

I've got about 20 some dvds ripped at 500 mbps. It's decent quality, and the filesize is roughly 500MB for a two hour movie. But I don't think that's a high enough quality to sell.

We'll probably get 500MB files with the current TV SHow compression in iPod size I'll probably stick with handbrake no matter what they do.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I'd like to know the quality of the encoding on these. Are they using h.264? If so, what's the bit rate set to?

They're probably using WMV...... can you use windows DRM on anything but WMV?

WindowsMedia DRM is a proprietary* addition to WindowsMedia Audio/Video. I am 99% certain it is not going to work with other codecs (let alone other containers!), if only for the fact that it's not available as a separate component.

*) It is, as far as I'm aware, inherently incompatible with the standardized parts of WindowsMedia, i.e. VC-1/VC-9, at SMPTE. Hence "proprietary".

Quote:

I've got about 20 some dvds ripped at 500 mbps. It's decent quality, and the filesize is roughly 500MB for a two hour movie. But I don't think that's a high enough quality to sell.

Since you're not specifying the codec, let alone the specifics (quality settings and all), that's a pretty useless mark.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Since you're not specifying the codec, let alone the specifics (quality settings and all), that's a pretty useless mark.

485.63 MB

1h 43m

h.264

528x224

24 fps

The point is, if a movie is going to have a high enough quality for apple to be content with, (ie. NOT 500mbps) the file size is probably going to be huge! Unless they keep going with the iPod size.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

h.264

Main Profile, presumably?

Quote:

The point is, if a movie is going to have a high enough quality for apple to be content with, (ie. NOT 500mbps) the file size is probably going to be huge! Unless they keep going with the iPod size.

They could implement H.264 High Profile. That's where all the good stuff happens. 1 Mbps High Profile with "standard definition" resolution would look pretty damn good.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Main Profile, presumably?

They could implement H.264 High Profile. That's where all the good stuff happens. 1 Mbps High Profile with "standard definition" resolution would look pretty damn good.

yah, main profile. What exactly IS the profile? On handbrake you can select main or baseline (no high). What's the difference?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

They could implement H.264 High Profile.

Good luck implementing that on the iPod in real time. It currently only does Baseline.