Ps3

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Seems like a joke. It is priced 200 dollers higher than the 360, for what? The graphics are about equal and while the processor on the PS3 may seem great it won't make too much a difference. Most all the games are supposed to be on 360 besides FFX111 (how many will they make?) and MGS. Splinter Cell IMO is better than MGS, and at least rivals it. The PS3 is lost on FPS compared to Halo, GR, Quake, and Half-Life. Anyone else think that the PS3 really won't be too great?

EDIT: By the way it seemed like this would be the best palce to put this seeing as it is future hardware other than Apple. Please move if needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Seems like a joke. It is priced 200 dollers higher than the 360, for what? The graphics are about equal and while the processor on the PS3 may seem great it won't make too much a difference. Most all the games are supposed to be on 360 besides FFX111 (how many will they make?) and MGS. Splinter Cell IMO is better than MGS, and at least rivals it. The PS3 is lost on FPS compared to Halo, GR, Quake, and Half-Life. Anyone else think that the PS3 really won't be too great?

EDIT: By the way it seemed like this would be the best palce to put this seeing as it is future hardware other than Apple. Please move if needed.

It is the same price as the 360 - the 20GB PS3 is equipped like the $399 xbox360, and the 360 is over $500 once you include the wireless adapter (which the PS3 has built in).

There are way more games in the pipeline for the PS3 than for the xbox. I like both systems - but you seem to have an axe to grind.

The PS3 will join my xbox360, and I will also get a Wii or two.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I was expecting the PS3 to cost about $500, I'll probably preorder one tomorrow if I can find a store around here that's taking them.

I had already accepted the fact that a Blu-Ray player alone would probably set me back about $500 so instead of getting a Blu-Ray player in the next month and a PS3 in November, I'll just wait until November and get just the PS3.

As for the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 debates, can't it wait at least a few more days so people can actually *try* a PS3 out before claiming that one system is better than the other?

I'm looking forward to possibly seeing Halo 3 tomorrow at the Microsoft event and maybe learning more about their HD-DVD drive add-on, and am interested in seeing what Nintendo does with the Wii (which I think is a horrible name, the marketing department should be ashamed). I also wonder if Nintendo will further delay the new Zelda game or take it off the GameCube entirely. It's just about the only major, exclusive game left on the Cube's release list.

$500 is a lot of money for a console and we still have to see if the $600 console gets you anything more than just a 40 GB increase in the hard drive. Add in a second controller (likely $50), and 3 games (likely $50-60 each) and you're looking at spending $800 on November 17. That said, I have little doubt that Sony will have much of an issue selling out for the holidays.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Well, I just finished reading a PDF from Sony's website and it's not looking good.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509c.pdf

The $500 PS3 *is* severely lacking. The 20 GB Hard Drive version has no HDMI port, no memory card slots, and no 802.11 wireless.

So I'm looking at the $600 PS3 so I can get the most out of my 1080p TV. No HDMI port is a deal breaker for me on the $500 model.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Seems like a joke. It is priced 200 doll[a]rs higher than the 360, for what? The graphics are about equal . . .

We shall certainly see if this is the case. The PS3 is so architecturally different than past machines that I don't think we'll see it uncorked until the 2nd generation of games. Even so, I'd wager that it's graphics are better in the first gen than the xbox's will ever be.

Sony took a gamble with PS3. If Blu-ray wins (which it looks like it will), and early unit sales are good enough to offset some of the Cell R&D, the cost will come down substantially. Sony wants to snuff out the xbox division entirely. It's hard to say if the PS3 was the right product to do just that, but things work out in the first year, there won't be a good reason to buy an xbox.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    I'll be pre-ordering mine tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I can wait a year and the price will plummet to normal human levels...
  • Reply 7 of 63
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

We shall certainly see if this is the case. The PS3 is so architecturally different than past machines that I don't think we'll see it uncorked until the 2nd generation of games. Even so, I'd wager that it's graphics are better in the first gen than the xbox's will ever be.

Sony took a gamble with PS3. If Blu-ray wins (which it looks like it will), and early unit sales are good enough to offset some of the Cell R&D, the cost will come down substantially. Sony wants to snuff out the xbox division entirely. It's hard to say if the PS3 was the right product to do just that, but things work out in the first year, there won't be a good reason to buy an xbox.

I'm not even sure Sony is trying at this point. The gamepad design is telling...a rehash of a decade old design. I'd wager the "graphics" aren't even largely affected by the the differences in Cell and Xenon.

Just imagine Christmas 2006. The XBox 360's going to be shipping in quantity at $400. Availability is going to make Sony lose in Q4 2006 alone.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The $500 PS3 *is* severely lacking. The 20 GB Hard Drive version has no HDMI port, no memory card slots, and no 802.11 wireless.

I've got to say... I am absolutely floored by that.

The PS3 is a $600 console. Holy mother of god.

I honestly can't believe that's true. I need some kind of confirmation on this.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    I posted the Sony PDF right from their site, not sure how much more confirmation there can be.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

IGN is saying they ditched dual-HDMI completely on both models.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I've got to say... I am absolutely floored by that.

The PS3 is a $600 console. Holy mother of god.

I honestly can't believe that's true. I need some kind of confirmation on this.

Like I said, the xbox is really $500. And since the blu-ray player and cell processor cost $900 total just by themselves, you are getting a hell of a deal at $600.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Still, I can't justify $300 for a console. I hope the Wii is reasonable. Although, my gaming needs are pretty simple. A few Zelda or adventure type games and I'm good.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    (moved from my general discussion thread)

Has anyone had a chance to see some of the new footage of the

new PS3 games that are coming out? I was on gametrailers.com

downloading videos of Metal Gear, the New Assassin game from

Ubisoft, Gran Tourismo, Warhawk, & etc. Everything looked incredible.

A couple suprising things that stood out:

The demo of Tiger Woods 2K7 -

This guy was making a virtual Tiger Woods say different catchphrases

in realtime & the quality of the character model was amazing. It made

the 360 version look like crap.

I saw a demo of a card battle game that uses an iToy camera. The

camera was pointed down at a special game board & the guy placed

a card down on it. All the sudden a 3D dragon popped out of the card!

The guy was even able to interact with it. He tried to pet it & the

dragon & it tried to bite his hand. Trippy...it reminded me of the 3D

chess game from Star Wars.

The live demo of Warhawk was sweet as well. Volumetric clouds,

smooth framerate & the guy was tilting the controller in order to

direct the craft.

The only thing that was lame was that the cheaper version of the

PS3 will not have an HDMI output. I'm guessing that alot of people

are going to be pissed about the $599 price tag also but I don't

think that it's that rediculous considering that it's an HD Bluray

player as well as a game system. I heard that the HD DVD add-on

for the 360 is going to be between $100-$200.

I was also reading the keynote for Nintendo's Wii system which is

also looking pretty sweet. Did they list a price for it yet? I've been

hearing different things; from $250 down to free when you buy 3

games & a second controller. That would be a genius move on

Nintendo's part if it's true. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has sold

their previous systems at a small profit compared to Sony &

Microsoft which take $100+ loss on their systems. It would

guarantee them second place & possibly first if they did do that.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Grand Theft Auto 4 on Xbox 360 on October 16! The PS3 version in

November! I want to see some footage of that game stat!
  • Reply 14 of 63
    That's October 2007.....
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

That's October 2007.....

I just saw the correction:

(Updated: GTA4 is dropping in 2007 -- not 2006 -- meaning it will

ostensibly drop on both 360 and PS3 on the same date, or "day one" as

Mr. Moore said.)
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Like I said, the xbox is really $500. And since the blu-ray player and cell processor cost $900 total just by themselves, you are getting a hell of a deal at $600.

Like all of Sony's proprietary formats, Blu-Ray will likely fail. And who the hell cares about having Cell? The games are what matters, no one is going to buy a Cell at any price.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:

Like all of Sony's proprietary formats, Blu-Ray will likely fail. And who the hell cares about having Cell? The games are what matters, no one is going to buy a Cell at any price.

You are all making a big deal out of a $100 price difference, and I just don't see why.

The bottom of the line PS3 matches up feature wise with the top of the line xbox360. Both have a 20 gig hard drive, no wireless, no hdmi, component hdtv. The blu-ray disk means that there will be a lot more room to build good games in.

It is more powerful by far than a mac mini, and cheaper.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:

You are all making a big deal out of a $100 price difference, and I just don't see why.

We'll see if it's only a $100 on PS3's launch day. Plenty of time for Microsoft to drop their price.

I'm not saying the PS3 is a rip-off or that it won't be successful (even dominant), but I think the "you're getting a good deal" argument is groundless because customers are subsidizing Sony's efforts in a format war it will probably lose.

I really don't like the idea of paying so much for Sony's larger corporate goals.

Quote:

The blu-ray disk means that there will be a lot more room to build good games in.

This is a good point. The PS3 does certainly seem to have tremendous abilities.

I'm sure the dozens of GB of full motion video replacing gameplay will be fantastic.

Quote:

It is more powerful by far than a mac mini, and cheaper.

That's a very odd comparison to make. A meaningless one, as well.

Sony marketing hype aside, the PS3 is nothing more than a games console.

In truth, I may actually end up with a PS3. It is far more likely that I get one of those than an XBox360, actually. As a matter of fact, if Sony comes up with a solid media center software package for the PS3 I'd damn near guarantee I would have one.

The PS3 is a huge risk. With all that horsepower they can do some amazing things, what's so disappointing now is that their vision seems truly is as incremental as the name of the console indicates. It's like watching someone take a Ferrari out on a go-kart course.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:

That's a very odd comparison to make. A meaningless one, as well.

The PS3 is going to run Linux - it comes pre-installed on the hard drive. You will be able to browse the internet, post to appleInsider, buy from amazon, run openoffice, etc.

It can do everything the mac mini can do (except run mac os X - at least until somebody gets it running).
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The PS3 is going to run Linux - it comes pre-installed on the hard drive. You will be able to browse the internet, post to appleInsider, buy from amazon, run openoffice, etc.

It can do everything the mac mini can do (except run mac os X - at least until somebody gets it running).

Where do you get this information?