New MacBook Pro's Tuesday!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    I'm betting that if we see the MBP announced at WWDC, it will be Leopard-related, with the MBP supporting in hardware some new Leopard features.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that this MBP rev will have originally been designed to ship alongside a June Leopard release.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spin dr bob View Post

I'm betting that if we see the MBP announced at WWDC, it will be Leopard-related, with the MBP supporting in hardware some new Leopard features.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that this MBP rev will have originally been designed to ship alongside a June Leopard release.

chances are if we also see an iMac release, that it was planned the same way.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Has there been any talk of the LED backlights going into the new iMacs? I only ask as a glimmer of hope for a 17" MBP. Basically, I'm in denial. I've only had 17" Apple notebooks and do a fair amount of Photoshop work, as well as Pro Tools/Logic work and I'm not sure I could handle a smaller screen now. I'm sure it's just an industry fact that there is absolutely no LED screens larger than 15.4", I just don't understand why.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    m4c n00bm4c n00b Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carrier Wave View Post

Post this every week and one day you'll actually be right.

Isn't that the truth.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I'm sure it's just an industry fact that there is absolutely no LED screens larger than 15.4", I just don't understand why.

Samsung has a 20-inch 4x3 LED display but it retails for $1,999. It's promoted as high-end kit for doing color-critical work. They've shown a 30-inch 4x3 panel as well but I don't think they've given pricing yet.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Well both the new [rumoured] MacBook Pro and iMac are said to feature clean-sheet designs ? which leads me to believe that Apple will make a big fuss about them.

I suspect the WWDC will concentrate on Leopard, so if Apple does launch a new design, it's going to be the 'one more thing', and it's going to be exactly that ? ONE more thing.

Which poses the question ? which product will feature a new clean-sheet design, and which will merely be a spec bump that rolled out without much fanfare?

What do you mean by "clean-sheet" designs? A ground-up revision?

I like it when Apple does that. Does anybody remember when the TiBook was introduced? I do. I'm typing on mine.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

I'm expecting something interesting. eg: Maybe some 3D aspects, "piles," real-time window zooming (to read fine print), etc...

"iPiles"?...sounds like a medical condition...mmmm....yum!
  • Reply 28 of 84
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    In that case...be prepared to suffer the "first edition blues" as the unforeseen issues in their design process come to surface!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

What do you mean by "clean-sheet" designs? A ground-up revision?

I like it when Apple does that. Does anybody remember when the TiBook was introduced? I do. I'm typing on mine.

• Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

Has there been any talk of the LED backlights going into the new iMacs? I only ask as a glimmer of hope for a 17" MBP. Basically, I'm in denial. I've only had 17" Apple notebooks and do a fair amount of Photoshop work, as well as Pro Tools/Logic work and I'm not sure I could handle a smaller screen now. I'm sure it's just an industry fact that there is absolutely no LED screens larger than 15.4", I just don't understand why.

No, there's been reports that Apple is giving the 17" iMac the boot, and even if they weren't, they'd still have LCD screens. Which brings us to your second question. There is such things as 17" LED screens and even larger, but the problem is part costs. The price on the displays are so high right now for the larger sizes, they're inconsiderable for companies such as Apple to use in mass while keeping the final machine cost down enough. the 17" iMac price, for example, would probably top off in the $2250-$3000 range with an LED display.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    m4c n00bm4c n00b Posts: 7member
    So when does everybody think the MacBook Pro is going to get an update? WWDC or sooner?
  • Reply 31 of 84
    emran129emran129 Posts: 4member
    i thought i would give people out there some hope.

im a newbie to the world of apple, and a couple of weeks ago i finally decided to go to the dark side and get rid of my pc and get a macbook pro!!

being a newbie i wasnt aware of all this business with updates to the MBP, so i jumped in and just brought one from an online store. i have already paid for my MPB, however it is yet to be dlivered - its been two weeks!! i decided to phone the retailer, which was when i was told that they would be recieveing it on june the 1st, and would be dispatched to me after that - i asked why and was told becuae of some product update.

i just thought it was some automatic update ala 'microsoft automatic updates' and was quite cheesed off with the store for the delay, however after reading this and other forums i realise the update maybe referring to this?
  • Reply 32 of 84
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emran129 View Post

im a newbie to the world of apple, and a couple of weeks ago i finally decided to go to the dark side and get rid of my pc and get a macbook pro!!

being a newbie i wasnt aware of all this business with updates to the MBP, so i jumped in and just brought one from an online store. i have already paid for my MPB, however it is yet to be dlivered - its been two weeks!! i decided to phone the retailer, which was when i was told that they would be recieveing it on june the 1st, and would be dispatched to me after that - i asked why and was told becuae of some product update.

i just thought it was some automatic update ala 'microsoft automatic updates' and was quite cheesed off with the store for the delay, however after reading this and other forums i realise the update maybe referring to this?

More than likely yes. I know its frustrating but it will be worth the wait for the upgraded equipment. I assume you ordered a 15" one?
  • Reply 33 of 84
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I could see Apple limiting WWDC to iPhone and Leopard. If this is the case I'd introduce new Macs in advance.

That said, if some new tech requires technologies found in Leopard (ie Multi-touch displays) I doubt these would be released in advance.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sopranino View Post

Very interesting comment, what information sources have you seen (or heard) that indicates a 'clean-sheet design' for the MBP? (please do not read this as an attack on your statement)

If this is indeed accurate it would be one of the first indicators I've seen that the MBP has a case redesign coming. (Definitely good news)

My comments are based on the cumulation of a lot of rumours I've seen on boards such as this one. Perhaps I'm just putting two and two together and getting five.

Let me start by explaining what I mean by a 'clean sheet design' ? basically the product designers start with a clean sheet and reevaluate every single component and it's place within the system. The MacBook is a perfect example of a clean sheet redesign ? it bears very little resemblance to the machine that it replaced, and there is hardly a single component that hasn't been replaced. From the heat staked feet to the innovative new keyboard plate, to the magnetic catch and the placement of RAM and hard disk drive ? everything was rethought with the then current manufacturing techniques in mind.

Personally I think it's obvious that the MBP will get a clean sheet redesign. When you compare the design and manufacturing techniques employed in the MacBook and MacBook Pro it's obvious that the MacBook is a far more up to date design. Indeed, the current MBP design differs very little from the PowerBook G4. The current MacBook Pro is definitely looking dated.

If you look at the iPhone for instance, it's obvious that product design, materials and manufacturing techniques have come on leaps and bounds since even the MacBook. If you look at other recent products (mobile phones are particularly cutting edge) like LG's Chocolate phones and Samsung's E900 you'll see features like heat / touch sensative buttons. Is there any good reason why the next Pro laptop can't have a touch sensative keyboard plate that has no moving parts whatsoever? That would certainly shave weight (and possibly thickness) from a future laptop design.

I can't wait to see what Mr. Ives will do with the next pro laptop.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

My comments are based on the cumulation of a lot of rumours I've seen on boards such as this one. Perhaps I'm just putting two and two together and getting five.

Let me start by explaining what I mean by a 'clean sheet design' ? basically the product designers start with a clean sheet and reevaluate every single component and it's place within the system. The MacBook is a perfect example of a clean sheet redesign ? it bears very little resemblance to the machine that it replaced, and there is hardly a single component that hasn't been replaced. From the heat staked feet to the innovative new keyboard plate, to the magnetic catch and the placement of RAM and hard disk drive ? everything was rethought with the then current manufacturing techniques in mind.

Personally I think it's obvious that the MBP will get a clean sheet redesign. When you compare the design and manufacturing techniques employed in the MacBook and MacBook Pro it's obvious that the MacBook is a far more up to date design. Indeed, the current MBP design differs very little from the PowerBook G4. The current MacBook Pro is definitely looking dated.

If you look at the iPhone for instance, it's obvious that product design, materials and manufacturing techniques have come on leaps and bounds since even the MacBook. If you look at other recent products (mobile phones are particularly cutting edge) like LG's Chocolate phones and Samsung's E900 you'll see features like heat / touch sensative buttons. Is there any good reason why the next Pro laptop can't have a touch sensative keyboard plate that has no moving parts whatsoever? That would certainly shave weight (and possibly thickness) from a future laptop design.

I can't wait to see what Mr. Ives will do with the next pro laptop.

While the MBP shares the same design as the Powerbook, going back 4 years... if you compare it to any of the best 15" or 17" PC notebooks out there today, it still features a more modern clean design, slimmer profile and lighter weight than any other model, BY FAR. Apple could stay with this same design for another 3 years and Sony (or anyone else) will still be making thicker, more awkward notebook computers than the current issue MBP. Many longtime PB/MBP users are just ready for a change, but these notebooks aren't outdated when compared to the current market. I've been using new PC Notebooks since my MPB was stolen last week and they are all thick, heavy and awkward. It's even a bit hard for me to picture a drastic improvement to the current MBP's aesthetics. If they are actually going to release an updated model and pull it off, it'll just put them 7 years in front of other notebooks (in terms of design). If not, I won't be complaining.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

I could see Apple limiting WWDC to iPhone and Leopard. If this is the case I'd introduce new Macs in advance.

That said, if some new tech requires technologies found in Leopard (ie Multi-touch displays) I doubt these would be released in advance.

I have to sorta disagree with you... WWDC is the perfect time to launch "redesigned" products. I don't think iPhone will have too much time at WWDC... most of its features have already been discussed, and more can be covered at the launch event later in the month. I think about 2/3 or so of the keynote will be on Leopard, and most of the other 1/3 be new products, such as the overhauled iMac, as well as the long awaited MBP update. If they haven't updated it by now, there's no reason to launch something so close to WWDC, or else it would get severely overshadowed by what happens at the conference. Apple wouldn't do that, especially to the MBP, which they've been quoted on saying they were concentrating on this year. Also, don't expect multi-touch too soon on anything but the iPhone for at least 6 months after its launch. again, the overshadowing effect.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emran129 View Post

I don't know about that. If it was from a third-party store, it was probably just an excuse to cover their butts they know they could use since it is coming eventually, however, check my above post, as well as the fact that that would be a Friday release. There wouldn't be much momentum there. Has Apple ever released anything on Friday? (I can't think of any off the top of my head...)
  • Reply 38 of 84
    zane19zane19 Posts: 1member
    I like the rest of this board can't wait for this new macbook pro. I was wondering about how Apple stores handle this sort of launch. I purchased my ibook g4 3 years ago online when there werent apple stores up here in Canada. If the MBP is announced on a Tuesday, will it be available to buy on a tuesday from the Apple Store, or is it up in the air when it will become available in the stores? I have looked around but never seen a definitive answer. First post on this awesome forum
  • Reply 39 of 84
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

If they haven't updated it by now, there's no reason to launch something so close to WWDC, or else it would get severely overshadowed by what happens at the conference.

Well, maybe that's exactly what they want. If the MBP update is merely a slightly faster CPU then I don't really see why they would want to make a big fuss over this.

Santa Rosa doesn't offer all that much for MBPs as they won't use the built-in graphics; and the better WiFi is already offered by Intel in non-Santa Rosa motherboards too. Robson flash buffer? Not sure Apple will ever use that. And the dreaded 4GB RAM barrier is still present too.

There were posts a while ago which said that we shouldn't expect massive changes in the next MBP update as it will be a stop-gap update. Bigger changes like multitouch and +4GB RAM support are scheduled in the next release, maybe as early as MWSF in January 2008.

Yet all this still doesn't rhyme well. If Apple does not introduce multitouch in the next MBP update (and no one really expects it to happen so soon), would it make sense to 'clean sheet update' MBPs now and then again in 6 months time? Not really. But surely integrating multitouch would require quite a bit of redesigning.

My guess is still that all this multitouch stuff will happen in a new type of laptop, not the MBP. At which point a slightly bigger update for the MBP is warranted now and no new update will happen at MWSF 2008.

And anywhere between now and MWSF 2008 that new type of laptop will be introduced. Likely a 'slim' model IMHO.

Think about the thin Intel laptop prototype that made the rounds recently. What if the keyboard would be a multitouch display? That would shave off even further millimeters and Apple could end up with a 0.5 inch 'MacBook slim'.

Of course a laptop with 2 LED backlit screens would be quite expensive. But that would be typically Apple wouldn't it? A sexy new machine (superthin laptop) that's pretty high priced. (A bit like the iPhone business model).

That's also why I think a multitouch laptop will not be a MBP. It will likely be more expensive. At least initially.

[Edit: added last paragraph]
  • Reply 40 of 84
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Actually, I feel Apple has made some fairly radical product debuts. eg: The original "gumdrop" iMac, the "desklamp" iMac, features like MagSafe and Backlit keyboard, etc...

Apple has been conservative with their tower models (spec-wise), but their design and features on other lines have been unique and creative. (imo)

If that were all they were doing, I don't think Steve Jobs would have hyped the "secret features" the way he did. His ego is too fragile to pump something simple and have people laugh at him.

I'm expecting something interesting. eg: Maybe some 3D aspects, "piles," real-time window zooming (to read fine print), etc...

With you on this one imiloa. And i've bought them all-- don't forget the G4^3 and the Pismo PowerBooks with their curvacious hand-friendly form. I sometimes cannot help myself....