New MacBook Pro's Tuesday!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    The new MBP config change will be coming out very soon. I've had a MBP on order through my work for 3 weeks now and it still says 'Processing Order'. When we emailed our account rep, he called (instead of replying to the email) within 3 minutes and said the newer model will be out *very* soon.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by epicdark View Post

The new MBP config change will be coming out very soon. I've had a MBP on order through my work for 3 weeks now and it still says 'Processing Order'. When we emailed our account rep, he called (instead of replying to the email) within 3 minutes and said the newer model will be out *very* soon.

Oh Goody! Since mine got stolen last week I had my company buy me a new MacBook so I could get some work done. Ya know what... this thing doesn't suck! It's got pretty amazing features for the price. I'm still going to get the MBP when it comes out for most of what I do, and I'm still anxious as all hell.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    joolsjools Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

Oh Goody! Since mine got stolen last week I had my company buy me a new MacBook so I could get some work done. Ya know what... this thing doesn't suck! It's got pretty amazing features for the price. I'm still going to get the MBP when it comes out for most of what I do, and I'm still anxious as all hell.

Agreed, I'm in a similar position but when I went to Amazon to order a new MBP the only machine in stock was the 2.33Ghz not the 2.16Ghz as they had last week when I was searching for quotes? Maybe this is common, I don't know?
  • Reply 64 of 84
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    man, oh man rumors have gotten lame.

here is the scoop:

WWDC = New MacBook Pros + Discussion of some new "core" technologies added to Leopard.

That's it.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:

Tuesday's here! No new MBP's! ...guess WWDC. If not by then, I'm jumping off the nearest bridge.

Agreed. Would you prefer water, pavement, soil, or surprise?
  • Reply 66 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Agreed. Would you prefer water, pavement, soil, or surprise?

Pavement.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Macrumors.com is now suggesting new MBPs on Tuesday, June 5 with of course, a big question mark. Typically if Apple releases an update shortly before an event, it's a lackluster update.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Macrumors.com is now suggesting new MBPs on Tuesday, June 5 with of course, a big question mark. Typically if Apple releases an update shortly before an event, it's a lackluster update.

Think Secret now reporting that there will be no upgrade in resolution to the next 17" MacBook Pro. That's really depressing. No LED for the 17", and not even an upgrade to 1920 x 1200 in resolution. Only Santa Rosa now at best... bummer...
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Quote:

Only Santa Rosa now at best... bummer...

Whenever they arrive, I'd expect a slightly revised case, with the magnetic latch, Santa Rosa chips, more base memory and perhaps a LED display on the higher end 15" model. (MBPs will probably all get LED displays later in the year.) This would fit a pre-event upgrade such as Macrumors suggests. If there's any hardware introduced at WWDC, I'd expect it to be all new, such as newly designed iMacs (doubtful) new displays or a brand new smaller MacBook Pro. It'll mostly be about Leopard.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    The case that macrumors makes is compelling about why a MPB update would come before the conference. I was also thinking that if nothing huge is planned for the MBP then why not drop a new series a week before hand to focus on other things at the conference.

Unfortunatly it comes down do what we all want in the new MPB, what we would like to have, and when we think it is coming out. Right now its time to just keep hitting refresh on the apple home page waiting for something before WWDC or putting our tails between our legs and waiting until the Keynote.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

But one could argue what's the point of an HD notebook if one can't put more than 4GB RAM in it (which Santa Rosa still doesn't support). Final Cut HD really likes more RAM...

Dude... please don't remind me...
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Most people will not want to type on a flat suface. Power users want to feel the keys. Otherwise, it does not need to be a full featured display. Any [multy] touch-sensitive surface with keys typed over will do the job.

But there are other technologies to make a thin flat keyboard. The fact that nobody tried to use it on a laptop should be telling enough.

I would agree with this because an LED backlit screen would be/could be thinner than a CCFL and I'm sure Apple would take that opprotunity to make their laptops even thinner and lighter.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    8 Days 6 Hours to WWDC. My prediction is 50% chance new IMACs on this Tuesday, MacBookPros on WWDC Keynote next week.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

8 Days 6 Hours to WWDC. My prediction is 50% chance new IMACs on this Tuesday, MacBookPros on WWDC Keynote next week.

If only I had your prescience....

It is hard to be on hold, since I have just gotten into the Developer game and am dying to spend my credits and get the hardware side of my program up and running
  • Reply 75 of 84
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Some specs for a couple of 15.4" Santa Rosa PC notebooks:

Coming Soon!

HP Compaq 8510p Notebook

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7700 2.40 GHz 4 MB L2 cache 800 MHz

Mobile Intel® PM965 with 800 MHz front side bus

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

160 GB 5400 rpm SATA

100 GB 7200 rpm SATA

DVD/CD-RW combo

DVD+/-RW SuperMulti with Double Layer

Blu-Ray Disc DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL

15.4-inch diagonal WXGA; 15.4-inch diagonal WSXGA+ wide-viewing angle

ATI Mobility Radeon X2600 graphics with 256 MB dedicated video memory (512 MB HyperMemory)

Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)

6.1 lb

Lenovo ThinkPad T61

T61 15 Wide 6465CTO

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

15.4 WSXGA+ TFT

Intel GMA X3100 GM965

2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Intel Turbo Memory 1GB

DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim

PC Card Slot & Express Card Slot

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Integrated Bluetooth PAN

9 cell Li-Ion Battery

$1,893.00

These aren't all the possibilities for these notebooks, just some of the best choices made from the options available. Note that the HP doesn't offer Turbo Memory while the Lenovo does. Also note that the HP uses the new Radeon 2600 graphics while the Lenovo uses the new version of Intel's integrated graphics. Note, too, that the HP offers a Blue-ray opton.

See anything you like? I wonder why the fastest HDs are limited to 100GB. Hitachi now has 7200 rpm 2.5" drives up to 200GB. I'd love it if Apple would offer that option.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I wonder why the fastest HDs are limited to 100GB. Hitachi now has 7200 rpm 2.5" drives up to 200GB. I'd love it if Apple would offer that option.

Do we know the cost of these faster HDs in the larger sizes? Perhaps that is one reason?
  • Reply 77 of 84
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I am guessing this machine will incorporate the new Santa Rosa chipset and a very small speed bump.

Pretty ho hum overall.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I am guessing this machine will incorporate the new Santa Rosa chipset and a very small speed bump.

Pretty ho hum overall.

I'd agree, if indeed the new models come out on Tuesday the 5th. If they're introduced later, specs will be better.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I'd agree, if indeed the new models come out on Tuesday the 5th. If they're introduced later, specs will be better.

I third that motion. The Macbook Pro is just too pretty to introduce a new design without a spiffy stage presentation to usher it in. If it's tomorrow, I'm thinking it's just a speed bump - but we need more than that, darnit! We spend too much time pontificating on these forums to get just a speed bump!
  • Reply 80 of 84
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'm calling it. From what I hear, it's virtually certain:

- 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz options (yes, Santa Rosa)

- LED-backlit displays (15-inch models)

- 160GB baseline hard drive (options unknown yet, likely 200GB higher up)

No more details yet, but it's reasonable to expect either GeForce 8600M or Radeon HD 2600 graphics. I'd expect pricing to remain the same too.