New MacBook Pro's Tuesday!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Most people will not want to type on a flat suface. Power users want to feel the keys. Otherwise, it does not need to be a full featured display. Any [multy] touch-sensitive surface with keys typed over will do the job.

But there are other technologies to make a thin flat keyboard. The fact that nobody tried to use it on a laptop should be telling enough.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Guys, don't go overboard here. This is what leads to disappointment when the new product is announced.

I think Apple's biggest reason for holding off on the Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros until WWDC is because of the LED-backlit display they intend to put in the 15-inch model. Will the MBP come in a new enclosure? I'd say yes, even if it's just the 15-inch model, for now. I think the current design, while still competitive, is a bit long in the tooth having been introduced in January, 2003.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

The fact that nobody tried to use it on a laptop should be telling enough.

While touch keyboards never came standard on any mainstream notebook they did exist and were available for PowerBooks. Apple bought FingerWorks and the TouchStream product is no longer on the market.

While I fully agree that a touch keyboard is not as nice to type on than a physical keyboard I argue that at some point extra value will make it acceptable. The question is just how much extra value is needed?

FingerWorks' TouchStream allowed for easy window resizing via multitouch and had other multitouch gestures to speed up the workflow. While great this is still not enough 'extra' to make up for missing keys IMHO.

But imagine the whole lower surface of a laptop is in fact a multitouch screen. A place where your dock sits and where you have a constant Finder view. No need for Exposé, the desktop is always there. The number and arrangement of multitouch points can let the computer know whether you're typing or moving Finder windows or other non-typing interaction like sort through stacks of documents or photos.

It might still not be enough to make up for physical keys. But maybe it is. Maybe a second screen offers enough value to forsake a physical keyboard.

It would certainly be a bold move to offer a slim laptop with dual screen and multitouch.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

If they haven't updated it by now, there's no reason to launch something so close to WWDC, or else it would get severely overshadowed by what happens at the conference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Well, maybe that's exactly what they want. If the MBP update is merely a slightly faster CPU then I don't really see why they would want to make a big fuss over this.

...Which is why I think they haven't updated it yet. If it was going to be a simple bump like the MacBook that wasn't going to get much hype, why not release both updated models at the same time? At this point, it simply crowds WWDC. I think WWDC will be the place to be for a MBP update.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    If you went down the route of a touchpad display for a keyboard, i think you could go someway to addressing the lack of feel by having a soft, grippy surface . . .something similar to the feel of the underside of a mouse mat.

With any touch screen i've used, the biggest lack of feel comes from the glass being too smooth, slippy and no perceivable movement. If you overlayed the keyboard screen with 1mm of clear soft rubber/whatever which depressed slightly when pressed, that would go a whole long way to making the experience feel better.

Our fingers dont need much in the way of feed back to tell if something is pushed ( look at many mice buttons, they hardly move atall, yet ne know we've clicked em )

Now, would they release a normal display + keyboard display setup ? I seriously doubt it this time round.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonephishing View Post

Or sometime next week. No one's seen a MacBook Pro in stock (at Ingram) for over a week and a CTO has been processing at Apple for over two weeks. This will be my first post as well as prediction... only time will tell if I'm right...

Tuesday's here! No new MBP's! ...guess WWDC. If not by then, I'm jumping off the nearest bridge.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    I don't know how much longer I can wait but I'd like to thank the starter of this thread for the latest in a long line of teases.

Now if you'll excuse me...I have to work and then return home to find the bluescreen on my Dell Laptop...
  • Reply 48 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I've been saying WWDC for about three moths because that is typically where Apple releases a Pro machine, or nothing at all. I have no idea why anybody thinks Apple will throw a pro machine out there a couple weeks before it when they can announce it at WWDC and hopefully have them ready to ship. I do need a new Mac but right now I'm more interested in new unseen Leopard features. I would like to see live broadcasting come back via quicktime again though.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    13 days...
  • Reply 50 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Is anyone familiar with how major an update would need to be in order to warrant an "unveiling" by SJ at WWDC? Has he in the past just discussed a new release that was minimal in it's WOW factor? It seems to wait for WWDC would be to present a pretty substantial, innovative product... but I'm not very familiar with Apple events and release presentations...
  • Reply 51 of 84
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 568member
    I hope Apple never release a touch screen keyboard, it would totally suck to type on. Atari 400 anyone?
  • Reply 52 of 84
    yetieateryetieater Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

Is anyone familiar with how major an update would need to be in order to warrant an "unveiling" by SJ at WWDC? Has he in the past just discussed a new release that was minimal in it's WOW factor? It seems to wait for WWDC would be to present a pretty substantial, innovative product... but I'm not very familiar with Apple events and release presentations...

Perhaps he feels that there's reason enough to present an LED-backlit MBP at WWDC. After all, Apple has received criticism in the past from Greenpeace, and it would be a good opportunity to usher in a new era of environmentally-friendly products. Or something of the like.

I'm leaning towards a redesign at this point.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I hope Apple never release a touch screen keyboard, it would totally suck to type on. Atari 400 anyone?

Yeah, man that would suck.

I personally hope that Apple sticks with the current design of the MacBook Pro and I am only hoping for faster processors (Santa Rosa), an LED backlit screen, and maybe even a blu-ray drive.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M4C N00B View Post

Yeah, man that would suck.

I personally hope that Apple sticks with the current design of the MacBook Pro and I am only hoping for faster processors (Santa Rosa), an LED backlit screen, and maybe even a blu-ray drive.

Adding a blu-ray drive that small will add at least $500.00 to the final cost of your notebook. At least.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Ive been up way to late and have not read every single post so hopefully I wont be redundant. I personally will be buying my first mac when the new MBP come out. I have borrowed old powerbooks and imacs from friends and its time I become an owner and not a moocher.

Ive yet to see anyone comment on the possible graphics upgrade to the MPB. I know Ati released their 1800 and 1900 mobile lines and Nvidia some new ones to. Which will se their face in the new MPB? From looking around I think it is safe to say that no matter what is in store for the new MPB line a faster processor, better graphics, new wireless 802n, and a bigger or faster HD is in store.

But with lingering rumors of a subnotebook and intel releasing this .7inch 2.25lbs. 14 hour battery life notebook later this year is it possible that we will see a new line of notebooks or would we see MPBT, MacBookPro tinys, kinda catchy dont you think?
  • Reply 56 of 84
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    speaking of wwdc, where is the temporary insanity forum? it's less then 2 weeks away...
  • Reply 57 of 84
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    For all those assuming that MacBookPros coming out at WWDC == great big changes. That's probably no true.

If Think Secret is correct then the new MacBook Pros will still not offer an HD model with true 1920x1080 native resolution.

I don't see big changes happening if they don't even offer an HD build-to order option. They could still add it later once Leopard is out, but the next MBP looks more and more like a yawner of an update...

But one could argue what's the point of an HD notebook if one can't put more than 4GB RAM in it (which Santa Rosa still doesn't support). Final Cut HD really likes more RAM...
  • Reply 58 of 84
    euelaeuela Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Ditto. As one who types with my fingernails a smooth surface touch keyboard would be very frustrating.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    the only thing I really want out of a mbp is a new video card. Hopefully a nvidia card, a GF8 would be nice but a 7 series would suffice.

EDIT: Something I just thought about. Apple is big on h.264. Rumors were flying earlier this year that Apple was going to have hardware acceleration for h.264 encoding by the end of the year. The GF8M series supports full h.264 decoding, i don't know if it works the other way around, but im guessing the gpu could be used for encoding as well.

With all of this, i think its probable the mbp may include a new video chipset, a gf8 series. what you guys think?
  • Reply 60 of 84
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    The next round of MBP will need new vid cards if you ask me. As for which they will have Im not sure. Ive been trying to see if Apple has started buying more nvidia or what but I cant seem to find anything. If im not mistaken Apple has normally used ati graphics and just recently in the last few years have started to use nvidia but on the higher end of the upgrade of a machine (again assuming Im right), but this has just been my observation. All I really care about is more HD space, video card, and ram to be honest. I can deal with the current design ect. although an overhaul would be nice. With s notebook im looking for good video card thats why these possible subnotebooks have real interest for me.