Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kemck View Post

I just watched the newly posted Activation video for iPhone on Apple.com. Did anyone else notice that in the sequence showing sync your data ( addresses, music, etc) the capacity size is the same as a 80 gig iPod... am I seeing things????

You're right. Although it says 7.27 GB at the top, the storage status bar says 74.40 GB. I'm guessing they did this demo before the final version of iTunes was completed and working properly.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

So....could I buy one of these in the USA and bring it to the UK and pop a Pay-as-you-go SIM in it ? :o ?!

That's the million dollar question (in many interpretations).

It would _appear_ that each iPhone is intrinsically bound to a contract (likely by a unique identifier of some sort). However, if you never activate it, then you're never bound to that contract. So the real question is, can you unlock the workings of the iPhone without activating it? And if so, can it then work with another service provider?

I'm sure AT&T and Apple have invested a lot of time and money into making sure that the answer to those questions is: no. Or at least: not very easily.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That's the million dollar question (in many interpretations).

It would _appear_ that each iPhone is intrinsically bound to a contract (likely by a unique identifier of some sort). However, if you never activate it, then you're never bound to that contract. So the real question is, can you unlock the workings of the iPhone without activating it? And if so, can it then work with another service provider?

I'm sure AT&T and Apple have invested a lot of time and money into making sure that the answer to those questions is: no. Or at least: not very easily.

I think someone would have to activate an iPhone to capture and disassemble the data stream to/from the iPhone in order to figure out what set of instructions activates the phone. Then build some kind of program to send that stream of data to a new iPhone in order to activate it.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I think someone would have to activate an iPhone to capture and disassemble the data stream to/from the iPhone in order to figure out what set of instructions activates the phone. Then build some kind of program to send that stream of data to a new iPhone in order to activate it.

Yes, I'm sure some reverse engineers will be working overtime next weekend. Perhaps that guy at the front of the line in Manhattan is one of them?
  • Reply 25 of 94
    What if I don't want the phone? Since it works with Wi-Fi, if I don't care about the phone portion (I dislike talking on the phone immensely) and just want an iPod with cool video/photo and web capability, am I allowed to buy one and not activate it as a phone but use all other aspects?

Sounds dumb to some, I'm sure, but I live in NYC and there is Wi-Fi all around me. I'd love to have the convenience of a tiny full-web experience to carry around with me when I am out and about. I also do 99% of my business over email, so that'd be a huge boon to my productivity. As it happens, I also need a new iPod.

Maybe Apple will come out with an iiPod (internet iPod) before long.

Thad
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Law states that you must have the option to unlock your cell phone, in case you want to switch carriers, and not want to pay for another cellphone. I guess Apple/Cingular is above the law.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Law states that you must have the option to unlock your cell phone, in case you want to switch carriers, and not want to pay for another cellphone. I guess Apple/Cingular is above the law.

What law is that? Almost every phone sold through the carriers is locked...
  • Reply 28 of 94
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Crazy! This sounds really familiar . . . . .hmmm . . .where did I hear this before . . . . ..

Pretty funny. Now, if I can only predict the stock market . . . .
  • Reply 29 of 94
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

The law says no such thing.... Nothing worse then someone making a statement as FACT when its anything BUT...

The only thing the exemptions to the ACT (it's not a law of its own - simply an exemptions) states is that isn't NOT illegal TO unlock (or attempt to unlock) a phone. Thats a far cry form stating someone MUST unlock a phone. No company is FORCED to unlock anything if they choose not to...

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Quote:

I'm not sure about the law, but the condition for buying an iPhone is that you must sign a contract with Cingular. By activating the phone, you are signing that contract.

The initial activation is only there to ensure that you sign the contract. After that, you are free to switch by calling Cingular and canceling your contract (and paying the fee). The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    I'll post the link.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

The law says no such thing.... Nothing worse then someone making a statement as FACT when its anything BUT...

The only thing the provision to the law (it's not a law of its own - simply a provision) states is that isn't NOT illegal TO unlock (or attempt to unlock) a phone. Thats a far cry form stating someone MUST unlock a phone. No company is FORCED to unlock anything if they choose not to...

Dave

They don't have to unlock it for you, but If you want to unlock it, so be it. A quick google search will tell you how to unlock your phone.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    I've been googling and I can't find the article. But I have seen where a phone maker can state that unlocking a phone will void it's warranty.

Quote:

I'm not sure about the law, but the condition for buying an iPhone is that you must sign a contract with Cingular. By activating the phone, you are signing that contract.

The initial activation is only there to ensure that you sign the contract. After that, you are free to switch by calling Cingular and canceling your contract (and paying the fee). The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.

• Reply 33 of 94
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    can someone help me get my head around this, currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?
  • Reply 34 of 94
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Did anyone else notice in the video that the "Dull" guy starts out with an 8GB iPhone (7.27 GB formatted) and ends up with a 75 GB phone??. In the beginning you see it reads as a 7.27 GB device. Ok, so far so good. Then towards the end (at 06:18) it shows up as a 74.40 GB iPhone under "Capacity, free space, etc." at the bottom. Yippeee!!!!! It was a joke all along. It's not an 8 GB phone after all. It's a 80 GB phone!!!!!

Ok, Ok, I know, it won't happen, but pretty damn funny and not a good catch for Apple. As detail oriented as they are, I would thought they would have caught that. Oh well. Maybe nextr time.

P.S. If you download the video, you can pull it up in Quicktime and see at time stamp 06:21 that the iPhone reads "7.27 GB at the top (under "Name, Capacity, Software Version, etc.") but still reads 74.40 GB at the bottom (under "Capacity, audio, Video," etc.).

Yes, there is a whole thread devoted to just this.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Did anyone else notice in the video that the "Dull" guy starts out with an 8GB iPhone (7.27 GB formatted) and ends up with a 75 GB phone??. In the beginning you see it reads as a 7.27 GB device. Ok, so far so good. Then towards the end (at 06:18) it shows up as a 74.40 GB iPhone under "Capacity, free space, etc." at the bottom. Yippeee!!!!! It was a joke all along. It's not an 8 GB phone after all. It's a 80 GB phone!!!!!

Ok, Ok, I know, it won't happen, but pretty damn funny and not a good catch for Apple. As detail oriented as they are, I would thought they would have caught that. Oh well. Maybe nextr time.

P.S. If you download the video, you can pull it up in Quicktime and see at time stamp 06:21 that the iPhone reads "7.27 GB at the top (under "Name, Capacity, Software Version, etc.") but still reads 74.40 GB at the bottom (under "Capacity, audio, Video," etc.).
  • Reply 36 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

For other providers to get in on the action, Apple would have to revise the activation process amongst other things. It is all programmed in the software.

If one thinks that this is doable, consider trying to set up a US account or purchase from the iTunes store from another country.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Have you guys seen this:

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

It's on the AT&T rate plans webpage:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, there is a whole thread devoted to just this.

Thanks!
  • Reply 39 of 94
    ARRRRGGHHH, What the hell is with the time stamps being all screwed UP? EVery time I quick reply I get told that I just posted less than ten seconds ago.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah -- we're working on this. It's NOT clear from the PR. Kind of frustrating.

K

I'm not sure I understand the question. Number portability is the legal requirement.

You go to ATT with your current phone number and tell them to use that. After your phone account is activated, you tell your old carrier that you are discontinuing service.

If you can do it from iTunes, it's still the same thing.

That's the way it works. Why should it be different here?