Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I can't wait to see the new macbooks, I want more picture leaks! It feels like ages since apple's been interesting in the realm of mac hardware.

I agree with virgil on that point. No more picture leaks.

Leaks that you read about is another matter. It excites the imagination. But some bastid taking a picture like inside apple headquarters like a blasted high schooler sorta kills the buzz. I sware to gawd that kevin rose is like a childish baby for leaking those pics.....him and his accomplice. "Oh look at me I scooped you all on the ipods!"
  • Reply 62 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

By competitor's standards, the current $1099 MacBook would be fairly-priced at $700, maybe $800 if you want to give Apple an extra benjamin for elegant design and software.

If you can make that claim then I take it you have priced out the MB specs.

Quote:

Eh, this seems aggressive to me; in many ways, those specs match or outshine Apple's $1999 offerings. A groin-burning aluminum case and LED backlighting isn't really enough to justify $999.

Those prices are right inline with what you'd expect. You can't just look at the processor speed. The 2GHz they list has a 2MB L2 and an 800MHz FSB that costs a little over $100. The Blu-ray drive (reader-only) is an option that costs $150 extra, over the $965 starting price. Note: this is an optical format that Sony has spent considerable amount of money developing so they are trying to push it. That huge tray-loading drive won't fit in any Mac, and you have to pay and additional $155 for the version of Windows that best matches OS X. In other words, it may start off just below $1000, but you have to spend another $300 to get to the same speed as the $1300 MB, and that doesn't include the $150 for the BRD reader.
  • Reply 63 of 287
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/

Don't tempt me! I want that from apple I'll 700 for that exact config with osx. But I know it won't happen.
  • Reply 64 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Why not? Your only supposed to use disposable cash anyways when you invest. Just don't throw in the life savings ok?

Uhh really? So .. "life savings" just goes in a mattress somewhere?
  • Reply 65 of 287
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Maybe apple could keep the current low end macbook and turn it into the new emac (since schools are in love with notebooks now) and sell it for 799 or 899. An "eMacBook" if you will. Make it available to the general public as well, and the real machines would have the all aluminum enclosure, etc, etc. at the price points we're used to. With them all relabeled as "MacBook" and the gamut of options interchangeable between the machines.

It should be easy to do given how long the current design has been around and how much cheaper it should be to produce now.
  • Reply 66 of 287
    Quote:

If you can make that claim then I take it you have priced out the MB specs.

Those prices are right inline with what you'd expect. You can't just look at the processor speed. The 2GHz they list has a 2MB L2 and an 800MHz FSB that costs a little over $100. The Blu-ray drive (reader-only) is an option that costs $150 extra, over the $965 starting price. Note: this is an optical format that Sony has spent considerable amount of money developing so they are trying to push it. That huge tray-loading drive won't fit in any Mac, and you have to pay and additional $155 for the version of Windows that best matches OS X. In other words, it may start off just below $1000, but you have to spend another $300 to get to the same speed as the $1300 MB, and that doesn't include the $150 for the BRD reader.

The article says that $650 gets you:

15.4" 1280x800 screen

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

3GB RAM

250GB hard drive

webcam, integrated graphics

And that $999 gets you:

15.4" 1280x800 screen

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB RAM

250GB hard drive

Blu-Ray reader, DVD & CD burning capabilities

Presently with Apple, $1099 gets you:

13" 1280x800 screen

2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB RAM

120GB hard drive

DVD reader with CD burning capabilities

I understand that the Macbook is a pound-and-a-half lighter, has more L2 cache, and Mac OS X/iLife 08, but seriously here. The MacBook costs 40% more than the Sony and has half the hard drive space, two inches less screen, and a third the RAM.
  • Reply 67 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

Uhh really? So .. "life savings" just goes in a mattress somewhere?

No. Just not all in the crap shoot which is wall street. Some modest and safe funds ok sure. But he will do whatever he wants with his money anyway.
  • Reply 68 of 287
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple is playing by it's typical playbook. In early Summer it offers some kind of Student Special designed to clear out channel inventory of product designed to be discontinued after summer in time for the Holiday season. Then it updates the iPods and Mac line in time for the Holiday shopping season. In January it will update again to catch people who have Holiday cash itching to buy something for themselves.

Quote:

Most Mac and iPod models have historically been updated right before or during the holiday season. And then again 6 months later. Some months the updates vary, but MacRumors' Buyer's Guide will give you an nice overview.

• Reply 69 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I understand that the Macbook is a pound-and-a-half lighter, has more L2 cache, and Mac OS X/iLife 08, but seriously here. The MacBook costs 40% more than the Sony and has half the hard drive space, two inches less screen, and a third the RAM.

The speed of the processor means nothing if they aren't in the same category. The parts pricing in equivalent.
  • Reply 70 of 287
    Quote:

The speed of the processor means nothing if they aren't in the same category. The parts pricing in equivalent.

Well, as best I can tell the MacBook's 2.1Ghz, 3MB Cache processor costs $217, while the Sony's 2Ghz, 2MB Cache processor costs $214. What am I missing here?
  • Reply 71 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think that's where the price drop comes in. I just don't see them going for the low end Dell pricing. I could see a £599 ($999) entry point and the Macbook Pros all drop onto the end. At the top end you get a £1499 model and no higher. This 17" could even have the QX9300 quad in it.

13" = £599 - dual core, integrated x4500 <- £100 drop

15" = £999 - dual core, 8600M GT <- £300 drop

17" = £1499 - quad core, 8700M GT <- £300 drop

I doubt you'll see that sort of pricing, especially with the current drop in the value of the pound vis-a-vis the dollar. I've been making beer money the past couple of years by bringing a Mac Mini or MacBook with me on my trips to the UK and selling them to people I know in Birmingham. Typically I'm making about £50-£60 per system and I'm still beating the prices you're listing. But I'm strictly a low-volume sort of seller AND I'm dealing with people I know already. I don't think Apple is going to make that sort of deal with you, nor are any of the the other UK resellers.
  • Reply 72 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I think Apple is little worried about the drop of US market.

That's why they are pushing all these updates right before holidays. They probably will go with a "Best Holiday Line-Up Ever" or the "Funnest Holiday Line Up" theme this season. Apple needs these aggressive prices for International Distribution. In US Apple is pretty affordable...but still not to anyone. Overseas Apple is like TOP Price, top name.

Macbook was well into $999 with student discount and most students buy macbook, so I wouldn't drop too low here. Maybe $929 for all and $829 for students. This is pretty aggressive already. Now Macbook Pro has to drop few digits. I think with all that re-engineering it might cost little less to make. So into price of $1499 can be very appealing and $1999 for higher end.

Macbook Air...ohh i don't even wanna go there. Apple didn't focus on it at all. Its like in some dark corner.

Apple/Steve Jobs wouldn't touch "Funnest Holiday Line Up" with a 100' fugu stick.
  • Reply 73 of 287
    Quote:

Well, as best I can tell the MacBook's 2.1Ghz, 3MB Cache processor costs $217, while the Sony's 2Ghz, 2MB Cache processor costs $214. What am I missing here?

Now you are comparing an new Intel chip for a machine that isn't yet available yet to a processor in a MB that was released in February. Chip-over-chip for the same pricepoint of $209 (the actual cost from Intel per 1000) for the next revision of the MB will be a P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB, 25W). The T5800 (2.00GHz, 2MB, 800MHz, 35W) is an odd chip. It's not the 45nm Penryn, it's a 65nm Merom, but it's a new chip because it's on the Montevina package. I do think the price might be $209, too, so that does make that model cheaper than what Apple could offer. But only for that chip, because that is to pull you in. The next chip up for those Sonys charge you an additonal $100, even though the chip actually costs $209, too. It's not bait and switch, but they use that price to draw you in. This isn't a simple one-to-one comparison, it complex and most OEMs make it difficult. In fact, Apple is the easiest to look up because they don't play that game and they only use a handful of the Intel's top-end, non-Extreme* chips in their notebooks. This of course excluded the MBA and current iMac which recieved Intel chips that weren't part of the normal release.

* The Extreme chips run considerablely hotter for a little more performance so Apple has only used them on certain designs that can take the heat.
  • Reply 74 of 287
    I got my first Mac, a MacBook, in June. I hope this new release doesn't make me regret not waiting too much \
  • Reply 75 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fareal View Post

I got my first Mac, a MacBook, in June. I hope this new release doesn't make me regret not waiting too much \

Then don't pay attention to when they get updated. Just be happy with your Macbook.
  • Reply 76 of 287
    Quote:

Now you are comparing an new Intel chip for a machine that isn't yet available yet to a processor in a MB that was released in February. Chip-over-chip for the same pricepoint of $209 (the actual cost from Intel per 1000) for the next revision of the MB will be a P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB, 25W). The T5800 (2.00GHz, 2MB, 800MHz, 35W) is an odd chip. It's not the 45nm Penryn, it's a 65nm Merom, but it's a new chip because it's on the Montevina package. I do think the price might be $209, too, so that does make that model cheaper than what Apple could offer. But only for that chip, because that is to pull you in. The next chip up for those Sonys charge you an additonal $100, even though the chip actually costs $209, too. It's not bait and switch, but they use that price to draw you in. This isn't a simple one-to-one comparison, it complex and most OEMs make it difficult. In fact, Apple is the easiest to look up because they don't play that game and they only use a handful of the Intel's top-end, non-Extreme* chips in their notebooks. This of course excluded the MBA and current iMac which recieved Intel chips that weren't part of the normal release.

* The Extreme chips run considerablely hotter for a little more performance so Apple has only used them on certain designs that can take the heat.

I'm having difficult following you now. Is there or is there not a $3 price difference between the processor Sony's putting in a $650 VIAO and the processor Apple's has in their $1099 MacBook?
  • Reply 77 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Then don't pay attention to when they get updated. Just be happy with your Macbook.

I wish it was that easy. How can I not look or not read the specs or not visit an Apple store to touch it
  • Reply 78 of 287
    Yeah, I know that I definitely wouldn't be able to do it myself.

Though I'm the kind of person that would be willing to wait however long I needed to get the newest.

Either way, the Macbook is great, congrats!
  • Reply 79 of 287
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    as per usual there are many unrealistic expectations of both apple's pricing and specifications.
  • Reply 80 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

as per usual there are many unrealistic expectations of both apple's pricing and specifications.

Absolutely. No one's even bothered to point out that a $799. MacBook kills the Mac Mini off entirely.