Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 287

We all love Apple computers for the same reasons.

The only thing Apple does that makes it so we don't need antivirus software is not have an insane amount of the marketshare. People make viruses for Windows, because that is what the majority of users have. That didn't cost Apple any money.
  • Reply 122 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

The Mini is over priced beyond all reason.

Yeah i don't understand how there wasn't at least a price drop sometime before the last 13 months since its been updated.
  • Reply 123 of 287
    Exactly. Once upon a time it was a decent value...

...but if/when that existed, it was too long ago.
  • Reply 124 of 287
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

We all love Apple computers for the same reasons.

The only thing Apple does that makes it so we don't need antivirus software is not have an insane amount of the marketshare. People make viruses for Windows, because that is what the majority of users have. That didn't cost Apple any money.

whatever the reason, and i don't believe that marketshare is the only reason for it, it's how it is - for the time being at least.

and that is only one of the reason i stated.
  • Reply 125 of 287
  • Reply 126 of 287
    It is the only reason. It isn't hard to write a virus for a Mac. There just isn't much reason for it.

And Taco, I posted in your thread.
  • Reply 127 of 287
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    http://www.EroGear.com

Is that really your company John?

When is shipping beginning?
  • Reply 128 of 287
    I can't really see a reason for buying a jacket like that...
  • Reply 129 of 287
    Quote:

It is the only reason. It isn't hard to write a virus for a Mac. There just isn't much reason for it.

if so, so be it. however long it lasts, it will be a positive.

once again, that is not the only reason for purchasing a mac, nor for the apparent "Apple Premium" that is much-bemoaned by some here and many elsewhere.
  • Reply 130 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

We're already shipping. Just finishing up a job for this guy now–

http://www.marcotempest.com/

Also had an opportunity to do one for George Michael, but it fell through...
  • Reply 131 of 287
    I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore...
  • Reply 132 of 287
    Quote:

...A groin-burning aluminum case and LED backlighting isn't really enough to justify $999.

My groinz are doing better thanks to teh SMCFanControl...
  • Reply 133 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

See, that is where you and everyone else that harps on about this "apple tax", "apple premium" etc etc is wrong. As i said, engineering, design, software development all costs money and apple are entitled to retrieve that through the price of the hardware they sell.

For the luxury of not having to worry about viruses, of not having to run anti-virus software that slows down my computer and makes the whole computing experience a pain in the arse, it is worth it.

Why do you want an apple computer, by the way?

Yup. VALUE. If anyone talks purely about the hardware specs itself, then of course Apple offers no tangible advantage. Talk about OS X, iLife'08, design, etc. etc... Then it's a whole 'nother thing. Apple's pricing is one thing... The other is that people can choose whether they are willing to pay that or not. How much are people willing to spend on the experience??? That is really the question, especially in these few years while the economy, well, sucks.
  • Reply 134 of 287
    And people ARE paying that much. Apple doesn't really have all that much motivation to drop prices.
  • Reply 135 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

We're already shipping. Just finishing up a job for this guy now?

http://www.marcotempest.com/

Also had an opportunity to do one for George Michael, but it fell through...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That jacket is badass. Marketing peoples around the world would be very, very interested. Much better than those kids riding around on Segways handing out brochures.

Can it be hooked up to live Internet feeds?
  • Reply 136 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That jacket is badass. Marketing peoples around the world would be very, very interested. Much better than those kids riding around on Segways handing out brochures.

Can it be hooked up to live Internet feeds?

For now it can play video from an SD card and also be programmed to scroll text.

We also have a digg counter that works like old school odometer? but people mostly just play their video content from SD cards.
  • Reply 137 of 287
    Quote:

I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen

See, that is where you and everyone else that harps on about this "apple tax", "apple premium" etc etc is wrong. As i said, engineering, design, software development all costs money and apple are entitled to retrieve that through the price of the hardware they sell.

• Reply 138 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I'm not opposed to, and fully expect, to pay a premium for Apple's hardware because of the design and the superior software included. I'm more than happy to pay, say, a 20% premium over an identically specced Windows laptop. But a 50% or more premium? Well if you're willing to pay that, then I've got a $5000 MacBook Pro I'd like to sell you.
  • Reply 139 of 287
    But we already covered that issue...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I'm not opposed to, and fully expect, to pay a premium for Apple's hardware because of the design and the superior software included. I'm more than happy to pay, say, a 20% premium over an identically specced Windows laptop. But a 50% or more premium? Oh no thank you.

This.
  • Reply 140 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I'm not opposed to, and fully expect, to pay a premium for Apple's hardware because of the design and the superior software included. I'm more than happy to pay, say, a 20% premium over an identically specced Windows laptop. But a 50% or more premium? Well if you're willing to pay that, then I've got a $5000 MacBook Pro I'd like to sell you.

where are you pulling these figure out of? I've never ever seen a $5k mbp, even in A$. 50% premium? um, a touch melodramatic?