Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

So, for people like me, waiting to buy our first Macs, should we wait or buy?

On the one hand, the current macbooks are presumably tried and trusted models with the major kinks ironed out.

On the other hand, the new models will have some nice new features, even if it's just aluminum.

When the current macbook generation was first released, were there problems?

( BTW - I'm a future switcher, with a Vista machine that I have hate, hate, hated for a year. Take me now! I'm ready!! )

I'd wait since apparently it's only going to be a couple of weeks. Applecare will take care of you if there's any kinks
  • Reply 22 of 287
    I am buying the macbook 15 inch as soon as it comes out.
  • Reply 23 of 287
    Quote:

On the one hand, the current macbooks are presumably tried and trusted models with the major kinks ironed out.

On the other hand, the new models will have some nice new features, even if it's just aluminum.

( BTW - I'm a future switcher, with a Vista machine that I have hate, hate, hated for a year. Take me now! I'm ready!! )

I think the answer is always the same: If you can wait, do so. If you can't, don't. The twist here is knowing that a new MacBook is coming really soon.

If I recall correctly the early white MacBooks had some issues with yellowing or something with the skin oil messing up laptop case. I think that was fixed somehow. It will likely only take days for the Apple community to find out any kinks in the new MacBook if there are any. Not much of a wait if you ask me.
  • Reply 24 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by belunos View Post

Meh, I gots my mac pro for the heavy stuff, I'd be happy with a watered down, very portable, very cheap macbook

? http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/
  • Reply 25 of 287
    macbooks - entry level price point at $899 and Custom built chip set with good graphics processing power ...

imacs - intel CPUs leads the power consumption but chipset always power hungry (where AMD scores) ...

if this true we may see redesigned iMac (as well) with quad core all the way - better CPU and better Chipset which can fit quad core in all the imcas

so there will be transistion in both laptop and desktop machines which COO described as profit margin drop to 30%, oct 14th is just month away
  • Reply 26 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem with producing cheaper machines is that you have to use cheaper HW, which lowers the production quality and the performance, which makes your product look inferior. You usually have to take a lose in profit too. You can certainly sell more units, but that doesn't mean you'll make more profit in the short term and run the risk of hurting your brand in the long run. Just look at Dell and Gateway.

Methinks some here are wanting a "Harbor Freight" Mac, just to get the a lower price. They seem not to be aware that such a price connotes lower quality. \
  • Reply 27 of 287
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

rumor is there can be only one. Pro is dead. just shiny macbooks with extra options.

I think that's where the price drop comes in. I just don't see them going for the low end Dell pricing. I could see a £599 ($999) entry point and the Macbook Pros all drop onto the end. At the top end you get a £1499 model and no higher. This 17" could even have the QX9300 quad in it.

13" = £599 - dual core, integrated x4500 <- £100 drop

15" = £999 - dual core, 8600M GT <- £300 drop

17" = £1499 - quad core, 8700M GT <- £300 drop

There could be CPU bumps in between. The refurb prices will be awesome after this if the drop is this significant.

I would love to see a dedicated card in one of the 13" models. I'd actually like to see the back of integrated graphics for good but it's probably a must for reaching the absolute lowest price. Same deal when it comes to combo drives.

Consumers certainly don't need much more than integrated graphics now but once OpenCL hits the scene, they won't see much benefit without one. But perhaps that would be the time to make the move to all dedicated.

This is why I'm concerned for the Mini though. If a Macbook with a display is £599 and a Mini with a display at the cheapest is £399 + £100 = £499, would they just stop making it? What if they make a £499 Macbook?

I know that they are different products and I think there should be both but it doesn't make sense to have both at those prices. When my relatives buy PCs, they get laptops now instead of desktops because they are the same price but you can take a laptop anywhere as well as use an external 20"+ display.

The Mini is without doubt my favorite computer of all time but if they make a Macbook at those prices with dedicated cards, easily replaceable HDs and Ram like the current models, the choice between them is fairly easy.

Unless they make a Mini for £299 <- there's your PC killer. Of course it's an ATV killer too. Not sure how you kill something that's already dead though. \

One big concern I have is if they do make one lineup, does this mean all glossy or does it mean all models get a choice like the current MBPs get?
  • Reply 28 of 287
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I am buying the macbook 15 inch as soon as it comes out.

even without a DVD drive?
  • Reply 29 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Methinks some here are wanting a "Harbor Freight" Mac, just to get the a lower price. They seem not to be aware that such a price connotes lower quality. \

I was thinking of the Macs that come off the back of a truck and include a carton of cigarettes. Fagetaboutit!
  • Reply 30 of 287
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

I was thinking of the Macs that come off the back of a truck and include a carton of cigarettes. Fagetaboutit!

l contadino non far sapere quanto è buono il cacio con le mela.
  • Reply 31 of 287
    "...and an aggressive entry-level price point."

Apple is going in for the kill.
  • Reply 32 of 287
    Quote:

You are not the only Vista user waiting to switch. A few years ago, XP was a pain but I did not have a choice because XP software would not run on Macs. Last year, I was forced into Vista with a new notebook purchase (I know I could have downgraded to XP but who would not try the "new" product? Once you tried it for a few weeks and reinstalled all your software, it would take at least a full day to switch back to XP...). My daily work (mostly in MS Office applications) is considerably slower than it was in XP. Also, the time it takes to awake my notebook from sleep mode is based on luck. Sometimes it takes 20 seconds, sometimes a few minutes. My friends and colleagues on Macs are ready to go within a few seconds...
  • Reply 33 of 287
    Quote:

l contadino non far sapere quanto è buono il cacio con le mela.

"Don't let the peasant know how good cheese is with pears."?

I have no idea what that is suppose to mean but I like it.
  • Reply 34 of 287
    Quote:

rumor is there can be only one. Pro is dead. just shiny macbooks with extra options.

That would be a pretty good idea. Three screen sizes, integrated or discrete GPU options on all three sizes, many different processor options.

If I wanted a Macbook with a relatively slow CPU and integrated graphics, but a 17" screen and a big hard drive, shouldn't I be able to order that?
  • Reply 35 of 287
    Could we see a $799 entry-level MacBook? It's unlikely. Even $899 is iffy. I'm predicting $999.
  • Reply 36 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Could we see a $799 entry-level MacBook? It's unlikely. Even $899 is iffy. I'm predicting $999.

$999 is not agressive.
  • Reply 37 of 287
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

The problem with producing cheaper machines is that you have to use cheaper HW, which lowers the production quality and the performance, which makes your product look inferior. You usually have to take a lose in profit too. You can certainly sell more units, but that doesn't mean you'll make more profit in the short term and run the risk of hurting your brand in the long run. Just look at Dell and Gateway.

Maybe not. Apple did say that they would be taking a hit. Maybe (hopefully) they'll continue with decent hardware, and just lower the price. Then maybe they would make up some of that "less profit" by selling more machines.

I know that I'm ready for one. I sold my MB a couple of weeks ago, hoping that they would bring out new ones soon. I miss it!
  • Reply 38 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first shipments of Apple's next-generation 13-inch MacBooks have left mainland China ...

I still think it was so much nicer when we didn't know every single thing about every product being released before it was released.
  • Reply 39 of 287
    Quote:

I don't believe it for a second that Apple would do what you say. They have a standard, and they keep to it no matter what. I have faith that they are smart enough to know how to find that medium of cutting-edge tech/performance and value without looking like they are making an inferior product or damaging their brand.

You say to look at Dell and Gateway, but I don't think these companies run anything like Apple. No one in their right mind would compare these manufactures, and no one would expect Apple to make any of the mistakes that they have made.
  • Reply 40 of 287
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I wouldn't expect any invites to go out. Instead, I expect simply an announcement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

Sounds promising. If this is all true, they'll sell boat loads of these.

I would expect invites to go out within the next 10 days though if they are starting to ship. This would appear to contradict the previous 14th October rumour.