France Telecom exec implies Apple tablet to have 3G, Web cam

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you can get sued for eleventy billion dollars or whatever they put into the contract

in this case it may really be a pound of flesh. and you can be off by a bit and take some blood as well

There have been a lot of leaks lately and not all of them can be from Apple. So why haven't we all heard about people being sued?
  • Reply 62 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Fluthered? "From EUR 40 per month".

No "From EUR 40 per month". Comprendo?

P.S. Meant no harm.

Yeah, that's if you want a contract. If you don't your prices are ?100 more.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

just in case this has not been posted here: from another site:

paidContent:UK received word from Orange clarifying that Richard was simply acknowledging the speculation regarding a tablet and the company's wish to support it if it does exist.

These responses in no way reflect Orange's confirmation of the existence of the rumoured device. The spokesperson was merely confirming that he is aware of the speculation surrounding a launch and that Orange would be delighted to have such a product were it ever to be available.

AI's reporting isn't accurate on this one. He says stuff about video calls and everything. He absolutely admits the tablet exists. Full context. He's not merely nodding or agreeing, he says stuff.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Smile while acknowledging tablet rumors/existence

Smile while talking about CEO's hard life

Smile while talking about competition

Smile while talking about Nexus One

• Reply 65 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

There have been a lot of leaks lately and not all of them can be from Apple. So why haven't we all heard about people being sued?

Why are leaks illegal? NDA and all that yeah? Apple would never bring the Orange VP to court. Are you crazy.
  • Reply 66 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, that's if you want a contract. If you don't your prices are ?100 more.

Yup. Tablet should not be less expensive.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

AI's reporting isn't accurate on this one. He says stuff about video calls and everything. He absolutely admits the tablet exists. Full context. He's not merely nodding or agreeing, he says stuff.

yes, isn't it nice to see his press dept practicing damage control

BTW: here is the source :

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419...apples-tablet/
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Now you might not think this applies to Apple but you would be wrong. If you are a stock holder or another interested party you have to be concerned too. Especially whe Apple gas had a history of pricing hardware way to high bringing on dramatic failures (Cube for one). The last thing Apple needs is another failure that is a direct result of prices being substantially higher than a reasonable customer is willing to pay.

Dace

I think we need look no further than the iPhone to see that people are willing to pay what I consider insane amounts of money for the latest gadget. An iPhone on AT&T for 2 years ends up costing roughly $2400. Millions of people seem to think that's a perfectly reasonable price to pay.

So if the tablet, which will offer a larger display, more functionality and perhaps a choice of carrier, costs $500 more, it'll sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Well...

Upon knowing just a very little bit how exactly french marketing people and bosses pull their faces and upon thinking all that over again, I'd say
    1. Apple is preparing the Event; the Event concerns France Telecom,

2. M. Richard is perfectly aware of what it's gonna be like,

3. M. Richard is under NDA and watches Apple's interests,

4. Journalist sounded a good bunch of nonsense.

• Reply 70 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Oh wow. I think Steve Jobs just found his next unwitting organ donor.

LMAO!
  • Reply 71 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

You are imagining that people give a shit about what the specs of the machine are. That's not what this is all about. You need to get your head around that simple truth. Form-factor, novel functionality and thriving ecosystem are what this is all about.

I agree. Most people don't care if it runs on an ARM or a LEG. They will care about it doing what they want, wherever and whenever, or at least providing the best solution to a nagging problem that no one else has adequately addressed.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think this is likely a misunderstanding. I don?t see what this guy could know about a tablet. Publishers, sure, but I doubt even they?ve seen it. At most this guy knows someone who claims it exists, and I doubt that person works at Apple.
  • Reply 73 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think this is likely a misunderstanding. I don?t see what this guy could know about a tablet. Publishers, sure, but I doubt even they?ve seen it. At most this guy knows someone who claims it exists, and I doubt that person works at Apple.

I agree. Dots that may not be connected are being connected. Everyone would love to be right!
  • Reply 74 of 100
    Another gizmo that normally, I would be happy to get, but it will be binding with contracts to AT&T. I am T-Mobile and do not plan on switching.

I do not care about contracts when I buy computer of any form. This is not a phone business.

If this goes this way I will really consider hacking some netbook and putting OS X on it.

I hope not... not to be forced to this.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I think an accurate statement would be: If a non-subsidized version costs more than $600, Apple will lose about 30% of initial sales. Conservatively.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Sounds like this guy only opens his mouth to change feet.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Stateside, recent rumors have suggested that Apple could make its anticipated touchscreen tablet compatible with the Verizon network. It has been speculated that Apple could offer subsidized and non-subsidized options for customers.

How come at every mention of "subsidized hardware" we all think immediately of

locked-in carrier contracts? Can we not imagine a new model in which Apple subsidizes

their own hardware with ad revenue? Didn't they just buy a company and get into that

business?

US$999 for the model without ads, and US$699 for the model with ads? If you get

sick of the ads you can upgrade with a software update and pay the difference.

They could probably give it away free, pay a carrier on the side, and still make a

fortune if enough eyeballs would regularly see advertiser content . . .

Thoughts?
  • Reply 78 of 100
    Quote:

Well...

Upon knowing just a very little bit how exactly french marketing people and bosses pull their faces and upon thinking all that over again, I'd say
    1. Apple is preparing the Event; the Event concerns France Telecom,

2. M. Richard is perfectly aware of what it's gonna be like,

3. M. Richard is under NDA and watches Apple's interests,

4. Journalist sounded a good bunch of nonsense.

I think you don't realize : Richard is sort of the second president of France Télécom, alias Orange, the operator that Apple has chosen (like AT&T for the USA) to get the exclusivity on the iPhone, and this in all over Europe (because Orange first introduced the iPhone in many countries) . So if you think about it, Richard is one of the persons who can detain precious infos directly right from Apple, and even if Apple chosen them again to sell the tablet, as it seems to be the case
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is no matter how you look at this tablet it will be competeing with $500 & $600 laptops. People are not going to see much value in a device with no keyboard and a display that doesn't stay verticle for vastly more than $1000.

If Apple releases a tablet where people wish it had a keyboard - they are in big trouble.

Instead, I think they are hoping we see the keyboard as a hindrance.

ie: "people will not see much value in a device which is encumbered by a keyboard, and will pay a little extra for a slate"

Quote:

I can't speak for AT&T. Tablet without contract will be expensive. 1G looks reasonable estimation. But it seems to be gonna sell subsidized.

As for plans, Orange's data plan for iPhone costs now EUR 25 per month, unlimited tethering option costs 30 EUR/month.

Whence, 1000 - 12 * 30(40) ~ 600(500).

At most, we can assume HALF of the monthly fee can be used to pay off the device.

In the US, we know the current iPhone contract ($70/mth?) takes off just $400 (edited with accurate subsidy)
  • Reply 80 of 100
    Quote:

Over 2000 posts and you still have yet to learn. Apple pitch themselves as a premium brand. They'll want this thing to be priced in such a way that people feel lucky to own one. Just like the first iPhone was overpriced, as will this be. Though it will be cutting edge technology, so people will get them. You might not get one, but others will gladly take the one you were going to.

Can't argue with you there.

Bought my first Mac the day it was introduced. One hundred and three later, hundreds, if not thousands of programs and a whole lot of iPods and one iPhone later, I have never had concern for how much I paid for any of them.

As I have indicated before, I think that the iSlate (I know you hate the idea/name) will be primarily Wi-Fi, flash drive and no dvd/cd/br, USB, Firewire or ethernet.

A real keyboard won't be needed because of possibly a Dragon Dictation/like software and a significantly more comprehensive type-ahead features.

Virtually all the iPhone apps will run on it; some requiring considerable updating, but most minor if any. Developers will come in droves, wanting to utilize the increased UI space and take the opportunity to charge or recover their investment via a newly instituted 'Apple Mobile Adservice'.

If anything that we should remember, it is that the print magazine industry didn't make their fortune charging for their publication. They did it by selling (ad) space. Would it surprise us if this same paradigm was the basis for the iSlate. That is not to be subsidized (primarily) by a carrier, but by advertisers. What would it take for Apple to develop an iTunes AdStore?

If Apple were to sell 10 million iSlates as some have forecasted, imagine the increase of our daily readership that that would potentially entail. And if it were introduced at the prices I stated, 10 mil is peanuts.

P.S., I will still get one even it were twice the price. But I really feel I will get two. In any event, it will be worth it.